Fruit - 3
    Veggie - 2
    Whole grain - 1
    Dairy - 1
    Chicken/fish - 8
    Nuts - 1
    Fats/added sugar - yes!

That’s pretty mediocre :(

It’s a whole lot harder at home to shop/cook/prepare foods than it is with an endless buffet, haha.

Must do better to get back into the swing of things tomorrow!
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    margbarco wrote: »
    Fruit - 3
    Veggie - 2
    Whole grain - 1
    Dairy - 1
    Chicken/fish - 8
    Nuts - 1
    Fats/added sugar - yes!

It’s a whole lot harder at home to shop/cook/prepare foods than it is with an endless buffet, haha.

You did good on the veg/fruit! It's a process and will take time to get into the routine/habit of eating a more DASH compliant way :)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Fruit -1
    Veggie -5
    Whole grain -0
    Dairy -1
    Meat -5oz
    Nuts - 0
    Added sugar: yes

Today was super busy and I ended up having fast food breakfast but opted for egg white sandwich with apppe slices. Then prepackaged salad for lunch since the afternoon involved lots of errands. Not a great DASH day but not horrible. Tomorrow at work is a catered lunch. So I’ll make the most of breakfast and dinner with DASH choices.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Fruit - 3
    Veggie - 2
    Whole grain - 1
    Dairy - 1
    Chicken/fish - 8
    Nuts - 1
    Fats/added sugar - yes!

You did good on the veg/fruit! It's a process and will take time to get into the routine/habit of eating a more DASH compliant way :)

Thanks!
    The past two days weren’t much better but it’s Monday morning and a chance for a fresh start...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Life has been crazy so I haven't been counting/tracking at all. About to go away for a few days so probably won't be back to logging for a bit -- will try to count servings and make good choices when traveling, though.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Can we talk a bit about serving sizes of fruits and veggies?

It dawned on me that the DASH serving sizes of half a cup of fresh fruit or vegetables (4 servings per day) and the government’s 1 cup serving size (2 servings per day) amounts to the same thing!

The only trouble now is that when I google the weights of what serving sizes should be, 1/2 cup or 1 cup, there’s a whole range depending on the source.

If I measure 2 cups of fruit plus 2 cups of veggies per day, it seems like a small amount and I’m inclined to include more. No harm there...

How do you all measure/weight/count fruits and veggies?
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options

It dawned on me that the DASH serving sizes of half a cup of fresh fruit or vegetables (4 servings per day) and the government’s 1 cup serving size (2 servings per day) amounts to the same thing!

The only trouble now is that when I google the weights of what serving sizes should be, 1/2 cup or 1 cup, there’s a whole range depending on the source.

If I measure 2 cups of fruit plus 2 cups of veggies per day, it seems like a small amount and I’m inclined to include more. No harm there...

This is what I'm going by (which is mostly how the NIH figures DASH servings)

One Serving:
    1 whole piece of fruit
    1/2c cut up fruit or berries
    1/2c cut up veggies
    1c leafy greens EXCEPT when frozen, then it's 1/2c=1 serving (I use frozen spinach and kale in my green smoothies and in frozen form it's much more compact).

I'm using measuring cups like DASH does and then I'm also spot checking using my food scale.

I'm also aiming for more vegetable intake than the DASH recommendation and instead lean towards the newer recommendation for 10 servings of produce a day (from research that came out last year about increased veg/fruit intake and the possible connection with reduced instances of certain diseases). I don't hit that every day or even every week but it's a goal I keep working towards :)
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2019
    Options

I participated in a thread a while back about eating 10+ servings of veg and fruit per day (related to NHS recs in the UK), and the UK guidelines had a serving = 80 g, which made more sense to me than cups, since I rarely use cups and find them silly as a measure for solids. In my own head prior to that 100 g had been a serving (because it's a round number, of course), so it was easy to switch to 80 and meant I was eating more than I'd thought.

I don't know how that lines up with cups. I'm not worrying too much since I do tend to eat around 10 or more servings of veg and a couple of fruit per day.

Looking at the US recs, I think it's a serving = 0.5 g cooked or, for leafy greens, one cup raw. I wish they'd give a weight-based definition.

I am not consistent with greens, since if I'm eating raw spinach I'll eyeball and consider a cup a serving (although it's less than 80 g), but if I'm using frozen spinach in a smoothie I weigh and go with 80 g = a serving.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I don’t weigh my food. I have always measured by volume. So this wasn’t a big change for me. I try for a minimum of 6 half cup servings of fruit/veggies combined per day. I keep plastic one cup sized containers in my cupboard for packing my lunch daily and fill them with grapes, apple slices, strawberries, cut up celery etc daily. I know that as long as 3 containers go into my lunchbox daily I will have met my goal by the end of the workday.
  • zeejane03
    Options
    I don’t weigh my food. I have always measured by volume. So this wasn’t a big change for me. I try for a minimum of 6 half cup servings of fruit/veggies combined per day. I keep plastic one cup sized containers in my cupboard for packing my lunch daily and fill them with grapes, apple slices, strawberries, cut up celery etc daily. I know that as long as 3 containers go into my lunchbox daily I will have met my goal by the end of the workday.

Love this idea! What kind of containers do you use that are 1 cup each? I just picked up some freezer containers for my beans concoctions and they're two cup serving sizes. Would love to find a smaller option :)
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I use the disposable ones similar to ziplock containers. They are technically 1.3 cups each so I just under- fill them. I also have some of the same containers in half cup size. I noticed the larger containers that I sometimes use to pack salads have cup markings on the side. I use all the same brand (Kroger store brand) so that I can mix and match lids more easily
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    After poking around on Amazon I found very similar but brand name containers “Glad Designer Series 5 Small Rectangular 9oz Containers & Lids”. When shopping at my grocery store I find these containers near the platstic baggies and aluminum foil. I have more than 20 of them. I intended to use them for my workday lunches only but find them really convenient and use them often at home to help with portion control.
  • zeejane03
    Options
    After poking around on Amazon I found very similar but brand name containers “Glad Designer Series 5 Small Rectangular 9oz Containers & Lids”. When shopping at my grocery store I find these containers near the platstic baggies and aluminum foil. I have more than 20 of them. I intended to use them for my workday lunches only but find them really convenient and use them often at home to help with portion control.

Thanks for the info!
  • zeejane03
    Options
    Still around but struggling with my recurring issue with MFP-it sucks up so much of my time :p If I added up all the post counts from the accounts I've had over the past few years I would probably break some sort of record, ouch lol.

Every time I promise not to get sucked into my 'trigger' topic threads (low carb/keto, diet soda etc). And Every.Single.Time. I end up in them arguing the same old arguments, sigh.....

Sooo, I'm still here but I'm going to try really, really hard to only use MFP for this thread, for now. I have no problem with any other site (I deleted all social media sites a while back etc), but for some reason MFP gets me every time Lol.

• emmamcgarity
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I’m happy you are here. I know several friends who are doing Keto. I have no desire to go there. I much prefer the DASH way of eating and find it gives me plenty of energy. As an aside, I often find myself re-listening to n=1 podcast on DASH and them joking near the end about “check for carbs under the bed... shake out your boots...”
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I’m happy you are here. I know several friends who are doing Keto. I have no desire to go there. I much prefer the DASH way of eating and find it gives me plenty of energy. As an aside, I often find myself re-listening to n=1 podcast on DASH and them joking near the end about “check for carbs under the bed... shake out your boots...”

Now about 2 months into experimenting with DASH I'm really liking this pattern of eating. Starting out I wanted to try it mostly out of curiosity, but I'm really enjoying the (loose) structure of this method and I love ticking off the servings for all the different categories :)

I've got this thread bookmarked on my desktop's main page and all the other sections of MFP's forums blocked now lol. Should save me a bit of time every day but I can still hang out with my DASH buddies :)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Still around but struggling with my recurring issue with MFP-it sucks up so much of my time :p If I added up all the post counts from the accounts I've had over the past few years I would probably break some sort of record, ouch lol.

Every time I promise not to get sucked into my 'trigger' topic threads (low carb/keto, diet soda etc). And Every.Single.Time. I end up in them arguing the same old arguments, sigh.....

Sooo, I'm still here but I'm going to try really, really hard to only use MFP for this thread, for now. I have no problem with any other site (I deleted all social media sites a while back etc), but for some reason MFP gets me every time Lol.

You and me both! Not worth it, though.
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Fruit - x
    Veggie -8
    Whole grain -2 +1 serving beans
    Dairy -2
    Meat - x
    Nuts - x
    Fats- olives
    Added sugar: yes, fat free Catalina dressing

Plus 3 servings of pea crisps. I have no idea how to categorize this, it was 15g of protein/15g fiber/15g fat (330 calories)
  • zeejane03
    Options
    Tried a new bread and I'm absolutely in love! If you have an Aldi nearby I highly recommend trying their Seedtastic organic bread-I think it's a generic of Daves Killer bread? It's a bit pricey for Aldi (around $4), but still several dollars cheaper than a similar version at Meijer. It's also very DASH friendly :)
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Catered lunch at work not DASH friendly but I will strive for DASH compliant at the other meals