DASH Diet thread

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hey everyone-I wish MFP had the pause account option like FB has, I needed to take a break from MFP so I had to delete my whole account, sigh.

After experimenting with DASH for several months I've decided to go in a different direction. While I've enjoyed this way of eating, I started having some serious bloating issues, to the point where my jeans weren't fitting comfortably anymore. I also started experiencing increased hunger. The winter weight I was trying to lose also stalled and started going back up, which has been frustrating. In the midst of all of this I realized I was spending way to much time on MFP and just decided to take a step back from everything.

That was a few weeks ago and since then, after thinking about everything going on and also realizing I have entered into pre-menopause (yippee), I decided to do something new to me, and something I swore I'd never do-I'm trying a lower carb way of eating now and darn it, it's going really well :p I now feel like I need to apologize to a few people here, since I've been one of the more vocal critics of lower carb/keto. Ah well, live and learn!

I'm still following DASH's recommendations of veggies/using their serving size suggestions for that, but otherwise I've completely gotten away from the plan. For now I'm going in a different direction, but I wish all of you continued success doing DASH :)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    @congoqueen1 we have been slacking but there’s lots of info here
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Hi, @congoqueen1 -- we've been a bit silent lately, but if you post I'll try to start posting here again. I'm not really doing DASH as I'm mostly eating plant-based at home (dairy is a part of DASH), but I do a lot of things that are similar to DASH and think it's a healthy way to eat and have read some about it (and also listened to the podcast mentioned above).
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -4
    Veggie -2
    Whole grain -2
    Dairy -1.5
    Meat -5oz
    Nuts/beans - 0
    Added sugar: yes
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I'm not listing servings, but yesterday was a really good day, nice after the atypical day I had on Monday, while traveling. Managed to have 3 meals that all hit my goals, and made a great spring soup with produce from the farmer's market: peas, asparagus, sorrel, and watercress, plus garlic and shallots, made creamy with some cashews.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'm not listing servings, but yesterday was a really good day, nice after the atypical day I had on Monday, while traveling. Managed to have 3 meals that all hit my goals, and made a great spring soup with produce from the farmer's market: peas, asparagus, sorrel, and watercress, plus garlic and shallots, made creamy with some cashews.

That soup sounds amazing. I’m starting my day with oatmeal, apple slices and yogurt. Gets my day off to a good start fitting in servings from several food groups in one meal.

My packed lunch includes chicken breast (with teriyaki sauce) and a cup of frozen green beans for 2 vegetable servings.

My snack at work will be a cup of grapes with a slice of cheddar
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    It turned out really well!

I'm still on my breakfast smoothie kick -- good variety of veg and fruit to start the day, plus some nuts. Today I was low on veg that work in a smoothie so had a small cucumber, a bunch of greens (50 g frozen kale, 100 g frozen spinach), and then some frozen peaches, some frozen blueberries, and sage from my back porch herb garden. Homemade almond milk and some tofu for protein. Really delicious. (I know many are anti smoothie, but I find big smoothies take long enough to drink that they don't feel less substantial than eating for me, and are filling.)

Yesterday I had a different (but similar) smoothie, a salad with whole grains, lots of veg, and edamame for lunch (soy kind of day, I guess), and then a homemade chipotle kind of bowl for dinner (brown rice, black beans, cauliflower, broccoli, green peppers, onions, and jalapenos sauteed with some homemade pico de gallo (cilantro from my herb garden), and then a big salad with a variety of ingredients, including cooked green beans, and a dressing made from cashews that I tried (pretty good but I usually don't do creamy dressings so am deciding).

I kept half the salad for dinner tonight (mostly because I went kind of nuts with all the ingredients when making it and then was like "way too much") but will add chickpeas and eat with the rest of the spring soup.

I'm doing better in hitting the grains goal than when I was actually trying to do DASH, even though I'm not currently consuming dairy (because of course I have to be way off on one element if not another). ;-)
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Ooh chickpeas. I bought some that I want to experiment with roasting
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I doubt you will be disappointed. I actually need to buy some myself because I haven't had any in awhile.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I doubt you will be disappointed. I actually need to buy some myself because I haven't had any in awhile.

I just realized with the high potassium content they are very DASH friendly. Yet another excuse to experiment!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Is there a trick to roasting chickpeas? I tried a couple of times and I couldn't get them crispy, they were like styrofoam. I used canned, does that matter?

I actually love canned chickpeas just rinsed and popped into my mouth, but I was hoping roasting them would work for my savory/crunchy cravings.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I've never done it, but this is usually a good source and starts with canned: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/spicy-oven-roasted-chickpeas-30368
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Is there a trick to roasting chickpeas? I tried a couple of times and I couldn't get them crispy, they were like styrofoam. I used canned, does that matter?

I actually love canned chickpeas just rinsed and popped into my mouth, but I was hoping roasting them would work for my savory/crunchy cravings.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who loves to eat canned chickpeas like this! They're my favorite bean!
  • deardiane62
    deardiane62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been doing DASH with a 1300 calorie limit per day and have lost 11 pounds since July. My total cholesterol is at a healthy number (164) for the first time in over a decade. I made a chart to track the servings I should have each day so I can check the boxes off and see what else I still need to eat. I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life, upping the calorie limit to maintain my weight, after I lose 17 more pounds. I'm a fan. Nutritionally DASH makes sense to me -- balance is the key -- and it's working.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I’ve been off plan for a few months and gained back 5/6 pounds from eating sugary treats and refined carb snacks - after having successfully maintained for about one year.

I’m currently doing Whole30 to break the sugar addiction. I’m on day 6 and have almost zero cravings for things like cookies, crackers, bagels, or cake. But I’m also doing Whole30 because every time I’d eat a bagel, I’d get a runny nose and have to clear phlegm from my throat for about 30 min afterwards.

I plan to add back my plain low-fat yogurt and plain oatmeal for sure, and probably non-gluten grains. The question will be about reintroducing legumes and gluten which I plan to keep to a minimum anyway.

After that, I’ll be eating DASH again.

Happy New Year everyone!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    Hey everyone-I wish MFP had the pause account option like FB has, I needed to take a break from MFP so I had to delete my whole account, sigh.

After experimenting with DASH for several months I've decided to go in a different direction. While I've enjoyed this way of eating, I started having some serious bloating issues, to the point where my jeans weren't fitting comfortably anymore. I also started experiencing increased hunger. The winter weight I was trying to lose also stalled and started going back up, which has been frustrating. In the midst of all of this I realized I was spending way to much time on MFP and just decided to take a step back from everything.

That was a few weeks ago and since then, after thinking about everything going on and also realizing I have entered into pre-menopause (yippee), I decided to do something new to me, and something I swore I'd never do-I'm trying a lower carb way of eating now and darn it, it's going really well :p I now feel like I need to apologize to a few people here, since I've been one of the more vocal critics of lower carb/keto. Ah well, live and learn!

I'm still following DASH's recommendations of veggies/using their serving size suggestions for that, but otherwise I've completely gotten away from the plan. For now I'm going in a different direction, but I wish all of you continued success doing DASH :)
    zeejane4 wrote: »

So did you lose weight before you reached the bloat point that caused you to rethink? One thing that I noticed (on one of your shopping excursions) was that you bought a wild rice blend from Aldi. If this is what I'm thinking it might be then salt/sodium is a possible culprit. I've been very bad myself, so not criticizing you - just wonder if you had been careful with your sodium intake. That's almost more difficult if the goal is heart health than calorie counting!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I haven't seen zeejane around lately, but my guess would be that it's more likely to be the added fiber. Most people adjust but sometimes it takes a while, and some have ongoing issues.