WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Leslie Sansons Walk Away the Pounds DVD Wed. morning, then drove to FL, took the Power Hour class today, the plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT.

Don’t know what it was, but I couldn’t post from my desktop yesterday. I kept getting an error message. I’m going to have to skim to try to catch up

Very uneventful drive down here.

Thank you everyone for your kind words about my ceramics. My cousin lives in St. Augustine. Even tho it’s quite a drive, there is a ceramics store there that I want to go to so we may combine seeing her and going to the store.

After exercise today did a bit of shopping at the Aldi here, came home and the fascia over the blinds from the livingroom to the porch had fallen down so I waited while this lady brough clips for it and Vince went to get a router , etc. From the internet place here.

I totally forgot my mouse for my laptop, and I hate (absolutely hate) not using it, so I may not be in a whole lot

I did get better gas mileage with this car. We only had to stop for gas once. I did have to stop a few times to go to the bathroom. I don’t know what it is, but I get so thirsty in the car.

I know we had a potato peeler down here but try as I might,I coud not find it. Same thing for the hairdryer. Fortunately, I had my exercise things with me and one thing I have in the bag is a blowdryer

Lisa – so glad to hear the surgery went well

Welcome everyone new

Heather –so sorry about your friend

Lisa – yea for being home

Sharon – ouch!!
    M – so glad no broken bones

Rori and Beth – good luck with the “new” car

Player canasta with some ladies here. I haven’t played since I was here last. Tomorrow they’re having a pot luck so I’m thinking that I’ll make a grapefruit pie and take it there. I honestly don’t care to eat anything

Beautiful ice sculptures

Beth – good news about the colonoscopy

Vicki – sorry that insurance thing happened to you. Something like that happened to me, too, and it can be infuriating

Love the shirt
    Sorry this is so short. I told you I hate typing like this

Kylia – I’m hoping to get to the pool tomorrow

Michele from NC now in FLA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Evie: Thank you for the reminder. Marjorie Main played Ma Kettle. I looked up the movie and Pa Kettle was played by Percy Kilbride. I think Marjorie Main also played Tugboat Annie. I loved watching that show on TV. I saw the Ma and Pa Kettle movies in the matinee at the local theater. :smiley:
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Getting ready for snowmageddon, here on the island! Its supposed to arrive tomorrow evening sometime!
    💗Rebecca
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    suebdew wrote: »
    For some reason my post from last night does ‘t appear to have made it. Most of it was commenting on calories and using food as fuel. Not all calories are a like as you all know. You could eat 1200 calories of junk and processed food and your body would not be fueled efficiently. You wouldn’t put bad gas in your car so why put bad food in your body? Since watching The Skinny on Fats series I have gradually changed our low fat and sugar free foods to full fat milk and cottage cheese with a result of losing a little over 3 pounds. Since I quit adding sugar or eating sugary foods, I find the real taste of food to be surprising. I agree with the comment someone made about cheat days. Eat whatever you want but make sure it is healthy for your body. This is not a diet, it is the way you live your life to the fullest.
    LISA - glad you took the pain pill. Best advice my dr gave me after surgery was to take pill and not let the pain get ahead of you. If you wait and the pain is bad, you won’t move around as much and that can cause other problems.
    Sorry for those of you going through difficulties right now. My motto is do the best you can everyday.
    Suebdew in TX

great advice all around. Just what I needed, thanks Sue!
    NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Morning Ladies~I am up and had my ea and going to hop in the shower, do the morning drill and then off to work.
    did text with Tom yesterday and was telling him about doing the kitchen over, and he reminded me even though you budget a certain amount he said we went over by 30/40 percent.. so I might compromise on things like having the cabinets painted.. and just putting new hardware on,having the place painted, my friend who is doing it in retirement will charge me less than he does other clients, and he can do the painting of both the walls,ceiling and cabinetry.. will try and do the floors there is only a small amount in my hallway and kitchen so it shouldn't be horrible.. I thanked Tom for giving me the information... even though we are divorced being a good friend is valuble.. well off to the showers..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    I totally forgot my mouse for my laptop, and I hate (absolutely hate) not using it, so I may not be in a whole lot

You can pick them up inexpensively all over the place ... maybe even at the Aldi. :)

We've forgotten mice once in a while on our travels, and usually just nip out and pick up a $12 one somewhere.

M in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    Well, the weather continues to be mixed up. 61* yesterday, waking up at 21*. The winds were wicked last night. I didn't connect the winds with the fact that my oldest and her family were flying! She landed safely but said she was nauseous and no one got out of their seats for the flight including the flight attendants! I am thankful for the pilots' experience. Lots of potholes popping up on roads causing lots of damage on the roads this morning.

Michele- glad you are safely in FL. As Machka said, mice are inexpensive. One of the things I insisted on with my laptop was the two mouse buttons and not just the pad. Much nicer. Have a great time!

Rebecca and all the others in the NW- please stay safe! Inexperience in snow is a big factor in crashes.

Allie- While Tom's advice is true, dont let that stop you from figuring out what you would like to do. Then you can do things as budget allows. Good for you wanting to make it yours!

Lisa- sounds like you are doing well! Fitbit is so picky sometimes. You could try hooking it to the walker.....it would at least get some movement. Don't overdo.

I am feeling a little calmer this morning. Thank you for all your warm thoughts and prayers.

<3
    Kylia in Ohio where winter is back
  • Machka9
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    ATTENTION: SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:

everyone knows that i workout everyday and i ride my bike everyday and usually run to/from work to the train station. EVEN with all that, and not eating crazy crap, etc, due to the snow and having to slow down or walk the last stretch, or not going as fast as i'm used to, having to leave the gym earlier than usual to make sure i give myself time to slowly get to the train....... i still managed to gain 4 lbs because of it.

i'm not wiggin, i'll take it off. but i just wanted to get you to thinking about your daily activity (or lack thereof) and what you are putting in your body. even the little bit of slacking off will affect you, even me.

when you get to my stage of "usual" exercise or even if you don't, it's funny how you don't have to get on the scale and you can just feel that you've gained a couple of pounds. i weighed myself yesterday and i was right.

sharing is caring..... carry on....

Yep ... I lost focus this past year with my husband's situation, and on went the weight. I'm not my highest weight, but still higher than I like. I hope to regain focus again soon.
  • Machka9
    edited February 2019
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Back at it today. I’m thinking I may have to drop my calories by 100 a day to lose. It seems I have tried many times to lose at 1200 calories but because I go over a day or two a week I struggle to drop weight. I’m wondering if I drop to 900 plus 200 for exercise and factor in the cheat days I might be more consistent long term? Anyhow I’m giggling at the snow you all are getting in the south. I’m in VT 😁.

:) It's hard to get all the nutrients for need at much less than 1200 calories. Can you increase your exercise a bit? Can you do without the cheat days? It has helped me to maintain a routine of eating and deviate only on rare special occasions.

By cheat days I mean days when I go over calories unwillingly or allow myself a free day. I have found trying to commit to not having splurges at least once a week does not work for me. However I’m realizing when I allow myself a cheat day I always go overboard because I tend to bake and have a large amount available. I’ve decided to not do this and buy something small and when it’s gone it’s gone. Going over calories at least once a week happens and this seems to keep me from losing if I don’t go under 1000 the other days. I exercise 40 minutes six days a week. I think increasing this might help but I hesitate to think it will be enough.

This was exactly how I reached my highest weight.

I ate well during the week, and each week I would lose a little bit of weight. Then I would eat whatever on weekends, and would gain a little bit of weight.

Ever-so-gradually ... I reached my highest weight. So subtly and gradually, I barely noticed. Until one day, I had to purchase an item of clothing in Size 18 Aus (Size 14 USA) Then I knew. And that's when it ended.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    kymarai wrote: »
    They are doing the tracheotomy tomorrow morning on my aunt. I don't know why that scares me so, h3ll just made it through 2 open heart surgeries on an infant from far away. The tracheotomy scares me. Prayers please. I want to be there, but can't do more there than here.
    Thank you,
    Kylia weepy in Ohio

When they told me my husband needed one, it scared me too. And I had to make the decision whether or not he should have it as "next of kin" because he was unconscious. I burst into tears.

Fortunately a kind Dr sat down beside me and explain it all to me, and then I was (mostly) OK with it.

And it was OK.

I hope it will be OK in your Aunt's situation.

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Lisa the same thing happened to DH. It is a very common side effect of pain pills.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member