WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Beth - how scary that must have been! So glad you are safe.

Michele
    who can't seem to get cool right now....maybe I'm having a hot flash

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Machka - love the cat scale. Hope you feel better soon.

Lisa - you seem to be doing very well post surgery, glad the presentation went well.

Allie - looking forward to seeing the new paint.

Barbara- I grew up with a tin roof, I so miss that sound on a rainy night. There are 100 invitations to do. Kaitlyn and I did some experimenting, we thought the MOH was doing things in a manner that slowed it down considerably. We were right, she was getting her step done at about 3 per hour, and kaitlyn can do 10 per hour. She’ll have them together in no time now.

Michele - hope the sun comes out and stays out for a few days for you.

Rori - happy to hear you are in the mend. I keep the front of my fridge free of many things. Right now I just have 6 magnetic frames on it.

Heather - so sorry about your friend, I think I would feel left out too.

I had the “Toni” home perms when I was younger, but when we moved to Alberta my hair went curly and uncontrollable on its own. This past summer I was Kaitlyn’s perm model with the understanding that it was big rollers with a light solution. It seemed to have tamed my curls and I am going on Thursday to be a perm model for her provincial exam.

Allie - I’m so sorry you have had such a bad day, I hope you get a good rest tonight and hear from your brother soon.

Felicia - I hope you have some happiness in your marriage. It sounds difficult. I agree with you, I believe people can and do change.

Beth - what a shock about the bill, but so fortunate to have found the gas leak.

I did very little today, returned some bottles to the bottle depot, got some groceries and applied for a few more jobs. Still no news on the job I really want, so I guess I should continue looking. Nothing is screaming out as something I really want to do, but they will pay the bills.

Out of over 85 applications through Indeed only 3 have been viewed so far. It’s still a very tough market.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Well woke up at 11:30 and my mind is racing and I cant get back to sleep..ugh.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    wessecg! I'm reminded of that passage from A Visit From St. Nicholas that goes, "The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow Gave a luster of mid-day to objects below."

Machka, you have the cane thing down precisely right. I've been using one for 4-5 years now, but my right shoulder still feels like it's going to give up if I have a lengthy (for me!) walk of 150-200 feet. And the distance grows shorter if I continue after a brief stop. My muscles are all very un-toned. Speaking of "un-toned", I do hope you feel better soon.

Allie, I too hope your DB is well. Domestic troubles can be very worrisome times for those of us on the outskirts. It's so hard to not step up and try to "fix" things.

Beth! the best laid plans of mice and men … often stop with "And then I got on the computer!" 😉

Lisa, you're a real treat! "Surprise, folks! No cane!" I'll bet they were more than surprised. I'm wondering how Penny is also. I saw a mention that one of the Arctic islands is having an invasion of Polar bears because the sea ice is so sparse, so they are seeking other food. Polar bears are wonderful creatures, but they're very powerful and intelligent from what I hear.

Oh Heather! we are each bright young things in our own way. My mother was platinum blonde from the time I was 5 or 6. I can recall her with dark hair. One if the last things her best friend did for her was to bleach and tone her roots. Mom was 43 - barely and glamorous to the last. I had my hair every color natural hair could be, but always wanted grey. In one failed attempt I ended up with vibrant turquoise. That took a shampoo with Tide detergent and a few other marinades before I could get light Ash blonde dye, my natural color then, to take. When I finally let my hair grow long again a few years ago, it was just what I'd wanted since I was a teenager - grey with pale silvery streaks near my face.

About your friend, you might give her a day's notice that you'll be coming up, if that'll be ok. Her strength probably varies a lit, which is why she can't plan too far ahead. There isn't time to plan much, but if she's a beloved friend, make the attempt. You may regret it a lit if you don't.

NYKaren, what an interesting sculpture! I wonder why the female cherub has such a strangely shaped almost incompkete-looking pair of wings. Do you recall who the artist was? The photo of the wine and produce is so evocative I wanted to sniff the air!

What a great idea, KJLamore! I love the thought of my grey and silver hair as a blank canvas. I'm now plotting my first new color adventure!

Very tired. Really worked in physical therapy today.

Sharon Near Seattle and bedtime
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Carol in GA: We had our air ducts cleaned once several years ago. It was a scam. We paid for the cleaning and they were here for awhile but their “service” didn’t improve air quality, dust levels or anything. Basically, they vacuumed more out of our wallet than anywhere else. I would get several good references before I hired anyone if I was thinking about duct cleaning. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Sending good wishes for your brother and also for you and your group of friends who are supporting your cancer friend and each other. :star:

(((Allie))) What a terrible day. I hope tomorrow is better. :heart:

Felicia: I am sorry that your DH’s health is declining. My DH has health issues, too, and they are significant. He has diabetes and MS. I wish he would be more active. He tells me that he is doing the best he can. I can’t change him, so I work on me. I work at staying strong both physically and emotionally, and I do better sometimes than others. I also do things that I enjoy. I hope that you will stay strong. Doing something you enjoy on a regular basis can help you to stay strong and bring you a bit of happiness. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Vamoose924: Welcome to a great group! Stop by regularly to give and get support. There are a few of us here who live in different parts of Oregon. :flowerforyou:

Beth: So glad that your DH found the gas leak and was able to shut it off.:star:

M in OZ: Your goals are impressive. You’ve set yourself a big challenge, and from what I’ve seen here, you are likely to meet that challenge. WTG!

(((Michelle))) Hot flashes aren’t all that fun, but they eventually go away. It can take a while. Be well. :ohwell:

Our current difficulty is a huge water bill. The City changed something in the connection at the street, and now claims that we have used gobs of water. We haven’t. Their work is leaking, but we will have to hire a plumber to see if any of this is our responsibility. :grumble:. I hope the plumber we called will come and prove the problem is the ity’s work and not our water consumption. DH will be in touch with them soon.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Trucker here’s the descriptiin for Cupid statue!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I feel just a tad bit better, just have a feeling in the pit of my stomach like waiting for the other shoe to drop.. I have to just pray about it I guess...well off to the showers....
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Tracey – honestly, I really don’t care if the sun comes out today or not. See, we’re meeting my cousin in Daytona for lunch. If it was sunny, I’d feel bad that I wasn’t laying out in the sun. But if it’s cloudy….. Still keeping everything crossed for you

Fridges – guess I’m lucky in a sense that I have a stainless steel refrig so I can’t have it covered in magnets. I remember my last fridge wasn’t ss and it was covered in pictures that the kids drew. I guess the good part was that the dirt couldn’t get to the fridge

Katla – some of the things that help me when I have a hot flash (you won’t believe this) is to have some grapes that are frozen or have one of those small containers of applesauce that has been frozen

Michele who is off to exercise
  • Graceandmiracles
    Graceandmiracles Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I’ve been mia as our baby granddaughter was born on February 9th. First grandchild! In heaven. Anyhow that’s resulted in a stall of weight loss and two pound gain. So up 5 still. Read some information on mindful eating. I like the concept. Can’t exercise much last couple days as my hip pain is significant. Did just upper weights and will do the same today. Need to see a doctor about it as it’s been an issue for a couple years but recently getting worse. I don’t want to cause more damage by my exercise routine so finding out what’s going on is a good idea. Now to find the time....

Today’s goals are 4 veggie servings, 3 waters, part of normal exercise routine, no sweets.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    Popppp
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Still catching up :/
    I've had a painful knee for a few months so finally went to the docs, turns out I've got onset Arthritis! I've got some exercises to do to strenghthen my knees. I also need to lose weight, I'm only 5' nothing and need to lose about a stone (14lbs) AT LEAST!!
    Hope those suffering from colds feel better soon, and hugs to those in need.

Love Viv UK <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :'( When I got home from my walk yesterday morning and took off my shoes, I realized that one of my Yaktrax had fallen off. I'd been walking for almost two hours and there was no way I could go back and retrace my steps looking for it. I was embarrassed by how sad I felt---too much much sadness for a small material possession. I went back to the store where I bought them but they had none left in my size. I checked Amazon and my size seemed to be sold out by all their vendors. I ended up ordering a pair that won't be sent until March so at least I'll have some for next winter. Fortunately, the temperatures have gone up, it's been raining, and the snow is melting so walking in my boots is just fine. I wouldn't have needed the Yaktrax today even if I hadn't lost one.

<3Allie, When I wake up in the middle of the night in a panic about something, I turn on the light and read to take my mind off whatever it is. I either fall asleep or have a pleasant time reading. Either is better than worrying.

<3 Hugs to all who are ailing. I had a bad cold, then the flu this winter and I remember how awful it was and how great it was to finally feel better.

2191610q208gshr57.gif Barbie from warmer NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Barbie deep breathing exercises help me when I wake up upset at night. I have some relaxation tapes I listen to. I also sometimes take some over the counter herbal remedies like chamomile.

It is snowmageddon today. We are breaking our February snow fall. 6-9 inches on top of what we have. A friend posted a picture from Hawaii today. I could not look at it. No school and many things will again be shut down. I will miss my Zumba, voice lesson, and choir today.

I saw the statue of David in the late 70's. I remember the being awe struck.

:heart: Margaret
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
    only ate 262cal (breakfast) added 750 or so to allow me to complete the day. no workout. kirby says i have symptoms of the flu not a cold. had the sweats and shakes and felt like i was going to faint. he had to help me upstairs to bed, couldn't eat
  • pipcd34
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    NYKaren thanks for the history of David's toe. So glad the plain ol' people on the scene stepped up and prevented worse damage.
    Hugs and spicy chicken soup to Machka, Rori, pip, Vickie, Evelyn and all with colds or crud. Pip I'd add a glass of red wine in front of that fireplace, then sleeeeeep.
    Heather great attitude about your cancelled dance class. All calories out are victories! So glad your friends friends made the effort to bring you into the loop.
    Lisa Brava! now sleep sweet!
    Allie (((hugs))) Hoping Alfie can kiss those tears away.
    Felicia of course people can change... we're not stones! Your husband sure sounds depressed... (and depressing). Is there a trusted male you could use as a messenger? Would he go to a doctor? When I spend way too much time in bed my body stiffens up and makes activity seem impossible, so then I feel bad in both body and spirit. Good luck to you.
    Beth 6 times larger bill and scary gas leak, WOW! Will your monthly payments continue to be so crazy large due to "balancing" even though your hubs stopped the leak? :noway:
    Tracey "MOH" ?
    Margaret wise words.
    Machka you are indomitable!

Welcome Holly and Vamoose924!

Lots of excitement and distraction here today. Roofer came and we added on all the punch list items we couldn't get fixed before we bought the house. Had to ask him to postpone schedule 'til the loan actually comes through, maybe mid-March? Then the tree guy's crew came and felled the 5 dead tan oaks. They cut the trunks into stove lengths and will return tomorrow to burn the branches. They did all the work but I am exhausted... just having 4 strange guys in and out and around the house for much of the day kinda wore me out.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 15/28, 60 g protein 19/28, rx/vits 18/28, meditate 18/28, knee exercises 18/28, SWSY 4/8, play with Tumble 11/28, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 13/28.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    02/19 LT: Meet with roofer-Y MT: Stick vac'n'sweep-Y, ST: send corrected CFRFPD minutes and meeting reminder-Y

but i don't like red wine or really wine for that matter :0(