Naturally Slim Program

Options

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    How does this plan make it possible for you to be confident that you are eating at a calorie deficit, if, you aren't counting calories or logging food?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    How does this plan make it possible for you to be confident that you are eating at a calorie deficit, if, you aren't counting calories or logging food?

Probably that assessment will come with any changes of scale weight/clothes fit over time. Which is what is the bottom line for all folks hoping to make changes that will lead to weight loss.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends! Week 3 Update!

This week we learned about Vital Needs, exercise, and goal setting. Overall the lessons were benign, and didn't offer me much as I am not an emotional consumer for the most part.

Vital Needs are a set of emotional needs that, when filled, will help keep you from overeating due to stress and anxiety. There are 25 of them, and you are asked to pick 7 that speak to your emotional needs. If you are interested in the full list, let me know. Some examples are needed personal time, sleep, touch, or humor.

Next, we had a lesson on exercise and how much they suggest we add for improved health, but not really to rely on it for weight loss. They push weight training and cardio, and suggested chatting with a personal trainer who can help craft a plan for you. (Best advice so far!)

Finally, they discussed goal setting. Set an attainable goal with a time limit, and decide how you want to achieve it. They use the S.M.A.R.T. Acronym - Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely. They said an example is to say you want to lose 5% of your body weight over 6 months via diet and exercise.

Again, largely benign advice. Some is helpful, dare I say.

The message board, on the other hand, is just garbage. Bad advice, fake science, and straight up lies. For example, did you know that REAL Keto macros say you should eat 90% of your calories from fat? Ugh.

I was told that restricting carbs based on my doctor's advice to help me with insulin resistance was wrong because restricted diets are bound to fail, and the moderator (who actually said she felt sorry for me because I am clearly not eating what I love) said there was no way to overeat carbs because of the plan.

So, between 60 oz of daily H2oj (about 20 carbs made mostly of sugar) and being allowed to consume as much as 75% of your meal in carbs (remember, only 25% of your meal should be protein) I think I could EASILY consume more carbs than I want (50 per day), and definitely enough to feel bloated, tired, and foggy.

But, yeah, I am going to listen to a weight loss program message board moderator and not my actual Doctor.

Also, NS is not a diet! No restrictions... Except you are supposed to eat when hungry, but if you eat three or more meals you are doing it wrong because no one needs three meals. No sugar, no wine, no dairy, and no cereal (unless it is the allowed high fiber cereal for the hunger saver) for the first three weeks.... Or forever if you want to lose weight. You can't eat more than a loose fist sized meal, but no measuring or counting. Ugh.

Feel free to ask questions! Happy to answer!

if you are restricting foods/meals its a diet. not a very good one but a restrictive one none the less. no sugar? which would mean fruits and veggies as well.cereal is also a carb,oj is a carb/sugar. That diet contradicts itself for sure
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a no-no. Veggies aren't really encouraged in favor of foods that make your mouth water. They discourage salads, for example, because they probably aren't what you REALLY crave and desire.

Overall, it isn't balanced. They are always talking about pizza, burgers & fries, or steak. The video demos of food being eaten shows the veggies dead last in favor of other foods.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see how you're going about this program and evaluating it (and which parts work for you) without being drawn into the apparently-cultish side of it - thanks for the reports!

This week we learned about Vital Needs, exercise, and goal setting. Overall the lessons were benign, and didn't offer me much as I am not an emotional consumer for the most part.

Vital Needs are a set of emotional needs that, when filled, will help keep you from overeating due to stress and anxiety. There are 25 of them, and you are asked to pick 7 that speak to your emotional needs. If you are interested in the full list, let me know. Some examples are needed personal time, sleep, touch, or humor.

I would be interested in seeing this list, if you don't mind. I tend to be somewhat of an emotional eater at times (sadness, boredom, stress, etc.) and can always use some new ideas to ponder over! :) I had never thought about things like touch or humour being "needs", so I'm curious to see what else is on the list.

• OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love some veg. I've been known to eat a bowl of mashed Swede/turnip (it is mashed with butter though). I also love sweet potato in any form, I crave it sometimes. My mum used to eat a whole bowl of green beans as they were. She also loved cauliflower cheese, light on the cheese sauce. Some of us love veg.

I agree with the concept of meeting emotional needs to stop overeating, but it's flawed in many ways. As said, it ignores several senses. But also, let me just fix my financial security tomorrow.
    And "empathy" feels vague. Giving or receiving? Kind of feels like an option for somebody to pick to feel better about themself, if the former.

I agree with the consensus that most is woo woo. But the forums sound incredibly toxic on top of that.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    OneRatGirl wrote: »
    I love some veg. I've been known to eat a bowl of mashed Swede/turnip (it is mashed with butter though). I also love sweet potato in any form, I crave it sometimes. My mum used to eat a whole bowl of green beans as they were. She also loved cauliflower cheese, light on the cheese sauce. Some of us love veg.

I agree with the concept of meeting emotional needs to stop overeating, but it's flawed in many ways. As said, it ignores several senses. But also, let me just fix my financial security tomorrow.
    And "empathy" feels vague. Giving or receiving? Kind of feels like an option for somebody to pick to feel better about themself, if the former.

I agree with the consensus that most is woo woo. But the forums sound incredibly toxic on top of that.

Mashed swede and carrot [with butter and pepper] is one of my favourite veggies. Couldn't live without veggies :#
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    OneRatGirl wrote: »

Mashed swede and carrot [with butter and pepper] is one of my favourite veggies. Couldn't live without veggies :#

Sometimes I will just eat a bag of peas for dinner because they are my favorite and are surprisingly filling for me. My favorite things to do with leftover Christmas or Easter Ham is cut it up into bite sized pieces and mix it in with peas.

I also am addicted to green peppers and eat whole green pepper everyday with my lunch.