For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,832 Member
    @SafariGalNYC
    So jealous that you can get shiso. I must remember to check at the asian grocer.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,497 Member
    Those are beautiful, @SafariGalNYC! I love the vibrant colors, and romanesco broccoli is like a work of fractal art.

What you're planning sounds great, but I have to admit I'm a big fan of roasting cauliflower. I like the deeper flavor that brings out. Roasted patty pans are great, too, but they're also fun to stuff and bake.

Thanks for sharing those beautiful veggies here!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,864 Member
    With the temperatures we're having, I'd cut them into tiny bits and eat 'em raw or find a way to steam them out back on my camp stove and then maybe cool them with some vinegar. I have no interest in hot food right now.
  • acpgee
    I had a dinner party on the weekend and a guest brought a huge box of Tunisian dates as a hostess gift. How do I use these besides nibbling on them when I want a sweet?
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,233 Member
    Re: dates… diced as a yogurt topping? Also tasty with a mini wedge of brie. Date stuffed chicken breast?

I saw this food network recipe for Broccoli date crunchy salad with spicy peanuts that may be of interest!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/eric-greenspan/broccoli-date-crunch-salad-with-spicy-peanuts-13540472

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,864 Member
    What kind of dates? If they are Medjool dates, just eat them!
  • acpgee
    I am disappointed that my cherry pitter (which I also use for olives) doesn’t seem to work on dates. Thanks for the ideas. I have feta and blue cheese lying around that I could thin with yoghurt for stuffing the dates. Will have a look at that broccoli salad when I am on my laptop. My phone doesn’t seem to want to connect.
  • AnnPT77
    acpgee wrote: »
    I am disappointed that my cherry pitter (which I also use for olives) doesn’t seem to work on dates. Thanks for the ideas. I have feta and blue cheese lying around that I could thin with yoghurt for stuffing the dates. Will have a look at that broccoli salad when I am on my laptop. My phone doesn’t seem to want to connect.

I just slice dates with pits down one long side, take out the pit, and stuff them that way - like a tiny clamshell kind of shape. I've never tried savory fillings, but that sounds interesting. Report back if you try it?
  • acpgee
    I popped into the posh supermarket next to the office and scored salicornia.
    4timhlhgfbuq.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    @acpgee, I've literally never seen or heard of that as salicornia or marsh samphire. I looked up other names and got sea beans, sea green bean, sea pickle, glasswort, pickle weed, chicken toe, saltwort. Never heard of those, either. I guess it's available (native or cultivated) in the US, but I've never seen it here in the middle of the country.

Wow. What do you like to do with it?
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,233 Member
    @acpgee @AnnPT77

Ooo that’s cool Acpgee! I have seen that in France as herbe de Saint-Pierre /— very salty but supposed to be good for digestion. (Let us know!)

I’ve not had it - but see it as a seaweed alternative in recipes. ;)
  • acpgee
    I've eaten samphire in the Netherlands where it grows in the salt marshes off the islands in the North Sea. In the island of Tessel it is typically served as a garnish for lamb. Tonight I blanched it for two minutes and then tossed in butter and put it in salad where I used balsamic vinegarfor sweetness. I was a bit to sparing with the samphire as it's flavour was too subtle. I got nervous after tasting it raw, which was quite salty. Served with salmon tartare.
    3azqac14aakk.jpeg