For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of chips made from greens (or chips in general). I like them sauteed or blanched/boiled or raw (if they are greens that work in a salad) or in a soup/stew.

Great eggplant options (not necessarily low cal):

https://myheartbeets.com/baingan-ka-bharta-indian-eggplant/

https://minimalistbaker.com/simple-baba-ganoush/

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bas-best-eggplant-parmesan

It's also fine as part of some roasted or sauteed mixed veg, but the above are excellent.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    jxbehtqq88q5.jpeg

I thought at first this was dried zucchini, but then I saw the eggplant sitting off to the side, I've never tried that, just good plain?

First time I’ve made them. Saw them on a blog the other day. I used olive oil spray and TJ’s ‘everything’ seasoning, which doesn’t lie. Good on everything savory.

My usual eggplant go-to is the lamb-stuffed Ottolenghi one from his ‘Jerusalem’ book.
    It is the SOLE reason I ever use the (giant) hunk of Tamarind paste in the cupboard.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    jxbehtqq88q5.jpeg

I thought at first this was dried zucchini, but then I saw the eggplant sitting off to the side, I've never tried that, just good plain?

First time I’ve made them. Saw them on a blog the other day. I used olive oil spray and TJ’s ‘everything’ seasoning, which doesn’t lie. Good on everything savory.

My usual eggplant go-to is the lamb-stuffed Ottolenghi one from his ‘Jerusalem’ book.
    It is the SOLE reason I ever use the (giant) hunk of Tamarind paste in the cupboard.

I love savory things, where do you get thay seasoning? Never heard of it before.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    “I also replace my blade frequently. Dull blades mean the item doesn’t slide as well, and it’s those friction moments that lead to finger-blade-tango.”Quote

You can buy replacement cutter blades?

Kind of leaning toward a slicer/dicer..........if I can find one with more metal than plastic.Love making vegetable soups,but the cutting/ dicing is getting to be a chore.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Had a bag of Gala apples that needed to be used up so I pulled my dehydrator out and made a batch of dehydrated apples today, (I sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mixture on top if them when I set them on the trays).
    Most of them are gone already, my kids go nuts over them!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Went to one of my fav grocery stores today and thought about you guys! Came home with some pretty produce. ☺️ I found myself looking at the eggplant section- here is Sicilian eggplant (round) and Japanese- can’t wait to see what the taste difference is!

ajbo22bmckqu.jpeg
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Here's an eggplant recipe that is calorie-conscious. Since I'm a vegetarian, I've made it using both a meat sub and lentils. It's very good.

https://bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10610/the-ultimate-makeover-moussaka
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    trisH_7183 wrote: »
    “I also replace my blade frequently. Dull blades mean the item doesn’t slide as well, and it’s those friction moments that lead to finger-blade-tango.”Quote

You can buy replacement cutter blades?

Kind of leaning toward a slicer/dicer..........if I can find one with more metal than plastic.Love making vegetable soups,but the cutting/ dicing is getting to be a chore.

I use the benriner wide body mandolin, back from my foodservice days- it has replacement blades. It’s ugly but it’s what I’ve seen in every single commercial kitchen, ever..
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll that eggplant treatment looks really good!

Loving the eggplant theme.

It’s one of those plants where prep is key.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Here's an eggplant recipe that is calorie-conscious. Since I'm a vegetarian, I've made it using both a meat sub and lentils. It's very good.

https://bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10610/the-ultimate-makeover-moussaka

@GottaBurnEmAll - i love moussaka! I can’t wait to try this thanks!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Tonight: Chopped daikon and shredded kale, stirred into hot pumpkin curry soup.
    The daikon is shockingly good here.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    jxbehtqq88q5.jpeg

I love savory things, where do you get thay seasoning? Never heard of it before.

Trader Joes has my favorite seasoning mixes, but when I'm ambitious I make my own copycat versions (they are SO mean for discontinuing stuff like the coffee rub, forcing me to make my own.

here's a great resource:
    https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-copycat-trader-joes-spices-home-0168876/
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    jxbehtqq88q5.jpeg

Trader Joes has my favorite seasoning mixes, but when I'm ambitious I make my own copycat versions (they are SO mean for discontinuing stuff like the coffee rub, forcing me to make my own.

here's a great resource:
    https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-copycat-trader-joes-spices-home-0168876/

Don't have a trader Joe's by anyways and love a good coffee rub!! Thanks!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the beet tips! I just “sautéed” some of the greens in a little vegetable broth the way a chef showed me to do collards several years ago. Quite tasty! Less bitter than collards, too.
  • fleawill
    fleawill Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been working my way through the leafy vegetables and lentil recipes on the Kaiser Permanente Food for Health website. There's a really great recipe for collard greens that I highly recommend! https://foodforhealth.kaiserpermanente.org/recipes/abu-duretis-collard-greens/
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Produce question/poll:
    (Inspired by @crazyravr and the crispy frozen okra post)

Cupboard and Freezer Deep Dive
    1-What produce items will you buy frozen/canned that are not quality compromised? (Mostly texture goes to hell)
    2-What are your prep tricks for these items?
    3-bonus question: cost savings or longevity or both?

(I want to be sensitive to the fact that some people live in food deserts where fresh produce is hard to come by, or have other budget/logistics issues that necessitate buying lots of stuff frozen or canned. The root of my curiosity is the ‘not quality compromised’ part. I don’t mean to be an *kitten* and I do realize that access to fresh produce is a privilege.

I’m looking for the ‘hidden gems’ more than the Captain Obvious answers (ie. frozen berries in smothies or frozen chopped stuff in soup.)

Mine:
    Canned:
    -Fire roasted tomatoes
    -chickpeas (these fall into Captain Obvious territory but are both always in my cupboard - I dry roast them with garam masala or sumac)
    Frozen:
    -artichoke hearts (for roasting, high heat, sheet with oiled foil, salt/pepper/lemon after roasting)
    -edamame (because these don’t suck after defrosting- cost savings)
    -mango (the texture, when defrosted naturally, maintains pretty well)
    -fresh coconut chunks
    -sweet dark cherries (only certain brands, and I eat them frozen)

Things I’m curious about but have not tried:
    -frozen avocado pieces
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    jxbehtqq88q5.jpeg

Slice them about 3/4" thick. And roast as per the above. Allow to cool.
    Want a sandwich? Simply toast in the toaster oven (it will get firm) and top with your fixins :)

Thank you!!
    I've tried 1/4 inch and about 1/2 inch, delicious but waaaaay too fragile.
    If I venture out today, I'll grab more!

My other eggplant go-to is a super slow roasted copycat recipe from a Shwarma place locally - they use it in their bowls and in pita, delicious but very oily. Mine is much lower in oil but takes a good hour of babysitting and inevitably burns the bottom of my le cruset.

First:
    -slice couple eggplant in cubes, sprinkle with salt generously and sweat it in a colander to get rid of excess water (or it will be gross and mushy) - after hald hour or so, blot dry on clean kitchen towel

In Le Cruset or other heavy large pot:

Roasted eggplant 'almost a spread' for bowls, salads, pitas
    -saute chopped onion and garlic in bit of *oil/ghee/spray/you pick* (I use spanish OO spray, spritz type not aerosol) until golden
    -add in the sweated eggplant cubes
    -season generously (I use variations of ground coarse sea salt, ground mustard seeds/rainbow peppercorns/coriander seeds/red pepper flakes)
    -continue to saute over medium, occasionally spraying bit more oil - stir frequently
    -repeat above for what feels like AGES, until eggplant is super roasty and soft and bits are almost lightly charred
    (Texture wise, this becomes nearly a spread. Very soft and roasty.)
    -Add in a bit of GOOD QUALITY italian concentrated tomato paste (the type from a tube)
    -continue to saute a few minutes - the sugars in the paste are a burn risk so moniter carefully
    -Remove from heat, serve at temp or chilled
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    Went to one of my fav grocery stores today and thought about you guys! Came home with some pretty produce. ☺️ I found myself looking at the eggplant section- here is Sicilian eggplant (round) and Japanese- can’t wait to see what the taste difference is!
    That's probably Chinese eggplant. Japanese eggplant is shorter (about 6" max and darker). Chinese/Japanese eggplant is less bitter than the globe/American variety. My favorite way to prepare them is to roast them right on the stove top directly on the flame. Peel, then serve with tomatoes, garlic, lemon or vinegar and green onions, kinda like a bruschetta. It's also good with a miso glaze or in a stir-fry.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    supqdlhxsz0b.jpeg
    Last night’s dinner: roast mini bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and okra.