For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Citrus edit:

Actually more like 1/4 inch thick slices.
    (Need to change mandolin blade.)

xzndprk62rbn.jpeg

Then use the ‘orange butts’ to make tea!
    ihf43dtisk18.jpg

If I’m home and it’s cold, always something in the oven.
    I’ve never gotten used to suburban forced heat (hate the hot blast at my face) and I cannot afford radiant flooring.
    So oven it is :)

Omg I need to try this! I've never thought crispy oranges with salt would be good, but they look fantastic. I bet this would be great with other fruits as well like lemons (I'd add salt, cinnamon and truvia for a sweet variety).

As against my basic principles as it is to quote myself, Citrus makes me break rules. Plus, I love flavor experiments using spices :)
    Here are my experimental results:

>>I’ve done Meyer lemon (salt and dill, good), Eureka lemon (don’t bother), ruby star grapefruit (salt and a sprinkle of monk fruit- good if you like bitter and I do) and Cara Cara oranges (just salt. Clear winner, everyone loves these.)

ETA:
    I’m typically so ‘volume motivated’ that I don’t really do dried stuff. Water content is my friend.
    However, I’m hobbling around recovering right now, and craving crunch and strong flavors on a reduced kcal budget due to inactivity.

Plus I go thru food phases and get obsessed with perfecting techniques. Then I totally forget about them and only revisit them when scrolling pics reminds me ;)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Citrus edit:

xzndprk62rbn.jpeg

ihf43dtisk18.jpg

I’ve never gotten used to suburban forced heat (hate the hot blast at my face) and I cannot afford radiant flooring.

Love your orange slices! Only thing is,can I trust myself to use a mandolin? I can be a klutz!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    trisH_7183 wrote: »
    Citrus edit:

xzndprk62rbn.jpeg

ihf43dtisk18.jpg

Love your orange slices! Only thing is,can I trust myself to use a mandolin? I can be a klutz!

You are the reason why they all come with a guard :)

I lost the guard on mine and took off about 3mm (at an angle) of the outer tip of my left thumb. Thankful I was using the thinnest setting. *cringes*
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Citrus edit:

xzndprk62rbn.jpeg

ihf43dtisk18.jpg

I lost the guard on mine and took off about 3mm (at an angle) of the outer tip of my left thumb. Thankful I was using the thinnest setting. *cringes*

I could see myself being someone who would take a fingertip off with a mandolin. I don't do well even with a properly sharpened knife. Took a tip of my thumb off cutting up a peeled, ripe avocado once. Like, the easiest thing to slice.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Citrus edit:

xzndprk62rbn.jpeg

ihf43dtisk18.jpg

I could see myself being someone who would take a fingertip off with a mandolin. I don't do well even with a properly sharpened knife. Took a tip of my thumb off cutting up a peeled, ripe avocado once. Like, the easiest thing to slice.
    I came home one day and there was blood all over the kitchen, bloody towels all over too. Apparently, my wife wanted to surprise me with a zucchini didh and used our mandolin without the guard. She was missing a few fingertips after first zucchini.
  • purplefizzy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Citrus edit:

xzndprk62rbn.jpeg

ihf43dtisk18.jpg

I always recommend ‘no cut’ gloves to friends when they first start out with mandolins. I always did better with them than I did with the guard. $10 on amazon.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Citrus edit:

xzndprk62rbn.jpeg

ihf43dtisk18.jpg

I came home one day and there was blood all over the kitchen, bloody towels all over too. Apparently, my wife wanted to surprise me with a zucchini didh and used our mandolin without the guard. She was missing a few fingertips after first zucchini.

My mishap rate is about once a year. I get rushed or distracted, lop a fingerprint off, and then make myself use the gloves for a while.
    Usually it happens when I’m trying to get too close to the end.
    I try to buy more than I need of whatever I’m slicing, and use the end bits for other stuff (tea, stock..) and thus avoid the kitchen-murder-scene scenario.

I also find that proper slice height to density ratio is key. Hard stuff like beets, daikon and kohlrabi slices better for me very thin. Thick slices sometimes catch an edge.

Soft stuff like oranges I do thicker, or they fray and catch the edge.

I also replace my blade frequently. Dull blades mean the item doesn’t slide as well, and it’s those friction moments that lead to finger-blade-tango.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I sliced off a tip of my thumb a couple years ago. Ended up getting stitches for it. It took me a while to get up the courage to start using a mandolin again. I never even thought about cut proof gloves.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Anyone tried the newer cabbage varietals?
    Im interested in finding Caraflex cabbage for roasting...

At this California produce–driven izakaya, chef Travis Lett marinates Caraflex cabbage in sweet potato vinegar, bakes it, then grills it over binchotan charcoal. The dish is then topped with aioli, chives, sesame, and from-scratch furikake.

From https://foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/cabbage-trend-restaurants
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    I sliced off a tip of my thumb a couple years ago. Ended up getting stitches for it. It took me a while to get up the courage to start using a mandolin again. I never even thought about cut proof gloves.

Neither did I until I started to work at a manufacturing company and became part of the safety comittee. And I think every chef had had an incident with a Mandolin lol.

Note they aren't really "cut proof", they just less lessen the severity of the cut substantially.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I found some beautiful “sunset” beets at the farmers market this morning, so pretty they looked like a gorgeous bouquet. The greens were massive and fresh, and the vendor said the beet greens are edible, too. So how do you cook beets? And beet greens? I need all the technicalities, like....do you peel them?
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I like roasted Brussels sprouts and mushrooms, together in the baking pan. And sauteed baby broccoli and mushrooms, together in the frying pan. They are my two current obsessions. I want to taste OP's veggies!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I usually roast beets, and cook beet greens as I would any other greens. One tasty way is to sautee (without stems) in olive oil with onions and garlic and then if you want add some lemon juice at the end. For the stems you need to blanch, typically.

Nice cheat sheet for greens: https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/types-of-greens-and-their-uses-in-cooking-article

For the beets themselves, you do not need to peel them. Here's a piece that touches on it: https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/why-you-shouldnt-peel-your-vegetables

(Peeling is a pain and turns your hands red, so I like to skip it.)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I like roasted Brussels sprouts and mushrooms, together in the baking pan. And sauteed baby broccoli and mushrooms, together in the frying pan. They are my two current obsessions. I want to taste OP's veggies!

Come over anytime.
    I never got over caterer mentality.
    At gatherings, people see the spread, get intimidated, and we start trying to reign in hungry friends as last minute ‘plus ones’

• purplefizzy
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I usually roast beets, and cook beet greens as I would any other greens. One tasty way is to sautee (without stems) in olive oil with onions and garlic and then if you want add some lemon juice at the end. For the stems you need to blanch, typically.

Nice cheat sheet for greens: https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/types-of-greens-and-their-uses-in-cooking-article

For the beets themselves, you do not need to peel them. Here's a piece that touches on it: https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/why-you-shouldnt-peel-your-vegetables

(Peeling is a pain and turns your hands red, so I like to skip it.)

I peel almost nothing from the farmers market. If it’s not a commercial pesticide risk, I leave it be and call it ‘rustic.’
    Peels have good stuff in them.

Also, I usually splash non-red beets in acid if I’m slicing before roasting, or in acid after slicing cooked ones (lemon, vinegar.)

Prevents discoloring :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    jxbehtqq88q5.jpeg
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    jxbehtqq88q5.jpeg

I thought at first this was dried zucchini, but then I saw the eggplant sitting off to the side, I've never tried that, just good plain?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    Citrus edit:

xzndprk62rbn.jpeg

ihf43dtisk18.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm splurging for a new guard or cut proof glove OR a new slicer VS slicing fingers off.... hmmmmmmm :)

Lesson was firmly learned, trust me.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a Kevlar glove when using a mandoline! Mine has a plastic guard which is supposed to protect your fingers but it can slip. The glove is much safer.

I'm always too careful with mine to have had an accident but my husband sliced the tip of his finger off the day we bought it - he was showing off how fast he could slice cucumbers. We stuck one of those hydrogel bandaids on it and it took about two weeks for the skin to regrow. I'm worried that some day I will cut myself getting it out of the drawer or something.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I found some beautiful “sunset” beets at the farmers market this morning, so pretty they looked like a gorgeous bouquet. The greens were massive and fresh, and the vendor said the beet greens are edible, too. So how do you cook beets? And beet greens? I need all the technicalities, like....do you peel them?

For beet greens, I make chips - wash, dry, spray a baking tray with olive oil, layer them in a single layer and then spray them with oil, dust with salt and possibly seasoning such as garam masala, bake at 350 about fifteen to twenty minutes until crispy. Or you can sauté them, or boil like any other greens.

Usually I roast beets in 1/2" slices with olive oil, salt, and garam masala. If you have a mix of colors it's fun to roast them with other vegetables such as onions or parsnips which will soak up the colors where they touch.