For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Brussel spouts are buy 1 get one for $1 (per pound) at my store this week. Must make roasted brussel spouts, carrots, and potatoes.
  • LadyCiato
    LadyCiato Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Red potato + cauliflower curry has been a life-saver for me. Such a good meal.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    ziao7c3dtp7b.jpeg

Du Chua - pickled carrot & daikon. Love these at Ranch99 market but noticed they have sugar and preservatives in them.. DEAD EASY to make. Also cheaper.

I used monksweet instead of sugar and used rice wine vinegar.

Method is here:
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/vietnamese_daikon_and_carrot_pickles/
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Cute Spring find!

Sometimes I just go in my local grocery store to see what new produce they have. I’m an artichoke baking novice and they often seem daunting to me—/ but thought I’d give these baby artichokes a try!!

Do you guys roast em? Separate the leaves? Olio?

Fun story- according to legend, the artichoke was created when the smitten Greek god Zeus turned his object of affection into a thistle after being rejected.

I may call these thistles from now on. 😉

cg6tah9rg4x4.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    King oyster mushroom chips anyone?
    Slice mushrooms 1/8" thin and brush with olive oil. Into the oven to roast for 5 minutes at 425F. Flip. Sprinkle with seasoning and roast another 5 minutes.
    cultivated-mushroom-king-oyster.jpg

To this. Sprinkled with everything but the bagel seasoning.
    ma2unjejbbev.jpg

😮
    Must try!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    Cute Spring find!

Sometimes I just go in my local grocery store to see what new produce they have. I’m an artichoke baking novice and they often seem daunting to me—/ but thought I’d give these baby artichokes a try!!

Fun story- according to legend, the artichoke was created when the smitten Greek god Zeus turned his object of affection into a thistle after being rejected.

cg6tah9rg4x4.jpeg

Botanically, it is a thistle.

Even with the little guys, you'll want to remove the "choke", which is usually easier after cooking. (Look up how to do this online. Easy to do, difficult to describe in text.) Snip off any really hard/pointy bits at the tip of the outer leaves with kitchen scissors.

I don't cook them very often (don't often see nice ones in my part of the world), but ususally just steam them, eat the outer leaves with dip (dip, pull through teeth to harvest good bits, discard the fibrous remainder), then eat the heart. One of the beauties of this is that they take forever to eat. ;) Any dip will work, but tomato-y is excellent, and vinaigrette good, too. The more common cream-y or butter-y things are wonderful, too, of course, but kinda calorie-dense.

Others will have more creative ideas.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Cute Spring find!

cg6tah9rg4x4.jpeg

My family calls them thistles. Some of us with affection and some not so much.

This method changed my artichoke game:

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/amazing-roasted-artichokes/

I darkly roast them, and do them individually in foil packets, foil sprayed with coconut oil. I put a lemon slice under the cut side, and use garlic and rosemary to stuff them.
    The lemon slice gets blackened and caramel-y.

Lemon juice EVERYWHERE, don’t be shy.
    I pre-roast them a bit, and then retire while rest of dinner is cooking.
    They’re done when soft and slightly blackened on the cut/down side. Also works on grill but as an ex-caterer, I’m very oven oriented :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Artichoke dipping sauce, for me:
    A preserved Meyer lemon (preserved in olive oil, salt and garlic/spices, Moroccan style) whizzed up in the processor. Makes a super salty, lemony/ creamy sauce and kcals aren’t outrageous because I shake most of the oil off. Plus fat is good.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Cute Spring find!

cg6tah9rg4x4.jpeg

Botanically, it is a thistle.

Even with the little guys, you'll want to remove the "choke", which is usually easier after cooking. (Look up how to do this online. Easy to do, difficult to describe in text.) Snip off any really hard/pointy bits at the tip of the outer leaves with kitchen scissors.

I don't cook them very often (don't often see nice ones in my part of the world), but ususally just steam them, eat the outer leaves with dip (dip, pull through teeth to harvest good bits, discard the fibrous remainder), then eat the heart. One of the beauties of this is that they take forever to eat. ;) Any dip will work, but tomato-y is excellent, and vinaigrette good, too. The more common cream-y or butter-y things are wonderful, too, of course, but kinda calorie-dense.

Others will have more creative ideas.

The beauty of produce, IMO, is that we can either keep it super simple and fresh or can get a bit more complicated with prep... I don’t think keeping it simple means a lack of creativity, it means (to me) a true appreciation for the veg/fruit.

I like many things in several ways. Raw, for crispness and fresh crunch - for me, raw is all about the slicing method because texture.

Roasted to all hell- I love how this caramelizes and deepens flavors.

Lightly barely steamed - love how this brings the veg into bright color and brings just a bit of bend.
    I often submerge in boiling salted/herbed water (asparagus, 6-Mississippi’s in the bath, broccoli for 20 Mississippi’s... ) and then into ice bath. I like many ‘salad veggies’ done this way.

Boiled to all get-out? No thanks.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    r9b2fc0psyhk.jpg

Everything but the bagel, ala ‘Raver :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Did you know they are perfectly shelf stable for at least a week? I only know because I forgot about them couple months ago. All the water gets baked out so chips for a week :)

Ohhh yea changed my user name... too old to be a ravr now lol

Shiiiiii, does that make me too old to be.... everything I am?
    Probably.
    I’ll let you know right after I finish ‘yiking’ to this song my best friend’s kid introduced me to...
  • flutes2
    flutes2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a roasted spagetti squash junkie. I also love beats and eat the green giant beat spirals (making myself makes such a mess), and riced cauliflower I buy big bags and costco. Loves those peppers and other produce as well. My love of veggies has helped me with MFP because I like eating in volume
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Did you know they are perfectly shelf stable for at least a week? I only know because I forgot about them couple months ago. All the water gets baked out so chips for a week :)

Ohhh yea changed my user name... too old to be a ravr now lol

Too old is not a thing. It is not a thing for anything. Nice new user name, though. Nice to (re-)meetcha!

I don't recall having seen the King Oyster Mushrooms here, even at the best mushroom source I've found locally. Any reason it wouldn't work with others?
  • purplefizzy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Too old is not a thing. It is not a thing for anything. Nice new user name, though. Nice to (re-)meetcha!

AMEN. I'm not a huge recreational YouTuber (love the self-education possibilities, hate myself for getting sucked into the 'cats riding Roombas' spiral...) but saw a KICKING vid yesterday on a 72-year old woman crossfit phenom. She was doing stuff I've never mastered even at my various peaks and I've been pretty damn fit. I couldn't stop smiling.

Change is good and important. Nomenclature is important... the name IS the thing, in some cases. But Tom, you'll always be the Voice of Kitchen Wisdom to me :)

On topic: I'm noticing with my recent 'expiriments in veggie chips' that slice thickness is a major determining factor. Hard stuff like beets and carrots and squashes need paper thin slices or they become tooth-breakers. High water stuff like eggplant and zuke needs thicker slices to not just crumble up and disappear. Citrus is in the middle - high water, but the sugars crystalize and hold it together, so it's not subject to turning into tasty dust like my zucchini experiment did.

Mushrooms have various water contents, maybe just adjust accordingly?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    <snip for length>

Change is good and important. Nomenclature is important... the name IS the thing, in some cases. But Tom, you'll always be the Voice of Kitchen Wisdom to me :)
    Seconded! (Such a practical voice, too - insightful and provocative, never snooty about food. ;) ).

On topic: I'm noticing with my recent 'expiriments in veggie chips' that slice thickness is a major determining factor. Hard stuff like beets and carrots and squashes need paper thin slices or they become tooth-breakers. High water stuff like eggplant and zuke needs thicker slices to not just crumble up and disappear. Citrus is in the middle - high water, but the sugars crystalize and hold it together, so it's not subject to turning into tasty dust like my zucchini experiment did.

Mushrooms have various water contents, maybe just adjust accordingly?

Sounds like a plan. I'll be looking at my local Asian markets (we have plenty), but will consider trying some of the other tougher varieties, if I can't find those.

Side comment: With the beets, particularly, I'd be struggling not to eat quite a few of them at the raw "veggie carpaccio" stage of that project ;) . Well, not struggling: I'd eat them. ;)

I hate buying new kitchen stuff (I'm old, have lots, most in disuse), but keep feeling like I maybe really do need a mandoline. (I saw your recommendation about brand in another post, purplefizzy. Part of my problem is that I'd really like one that's cabbage-friendly, but then it's big and more storage fuss.)

Great thread - giving me so many good ideas!
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have always hated tomatoes. But I like them in fresh pico & bruschetta... couldn’t figure it out. Then I saw a recipe to roast them. They are amazing. They taste nothing like the tomatoes I know. They are a touch smoky, a bit sweet and they literally pop in your mouth - like the freshest, most succulent little bite of tomato sauce (which I don’t love either)... but this is different.

I also usually hate peppers but I’ve been roasting them too and I love them.

Both are done with a light drizzle of olive oil and salt & pepper. That’s all. Tonight we are adding them to scrambled eggs.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I should have taken a photo, but yesterday was my first time using endive and radicchio! I made a shrimp salad with both + arugula, with orange slices. Wasn't crazy about the raw radicchio flavor, but I was pleasantly surprised at the gentle, clean endive flavor. Will buy again! Anybody have favorite ways of using/cooking radicchio? I have a little bit left.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    I should have taken a photo, but yesterday was my first time using endive and radicchio! I made a shrimp salad with both + arugula, with orange slices. Wasn't crazy about the raw radicchio flavor, but I was pleasantly surprised at the gentle, clean endive flavor. Will buy again! Anybody have favorite ways of using/cooking radicchio? I have a little bit left.

Radicccio I like grilled- quarter it, rub cut sides with OO (or spray, I’m lazy and I like the Tuscan OO manual spray at TJoes, it has no propellant in it and no weird stuff), S&P, grill to charred.
    Makes a great salad with goat cheese, balsamic reduction, walnuts.
  • purplefizzy
    Options

Endive make excellent boats for tuna or egg salads :)

Second the endive boats.
    Something I only really use for company - for myself I’m flavor and texture oriented, presentation sometimes takes a dive in the name of time efficiency:)
    I like endive with fragile cheese in it (bleu, goat), pecan or pistachio ground over. Such an easy app and people think you are a genius.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Vegan Letcho (and I am very very far away from being a Vegan hehe) makes two of these large plates in the picture. I made this in Instantpot but you can make this in a normal pot as well. Cooking time should be around 10-15 minutes covered. Search for "TC - Letcho" in recipes.

8mgxgrj6804o.jpg

Medium sized onion.
    3 cloves of garlic minced.
    Head of young spring cabbage shredded with core cut out (munch on that) (500g for me)
    Package of smoked tofu (240g for me)
    About half bunch of fresh dill.
    1 cup of veggie stock or water
    salt, pepper to taste
    1tbs smoked Hungarian paprika
    1tbs marjoram or thyme
    1tbs tomato paste

Spray IP with oil of choice and set to saute.
    When hot saute tofu until crisp and remove.
    Spray again and saute your onions until soft. Add in garlic and saute until fragrent.
    Cancel saute.
    Add in cabbage, stock, spices and tomato paste and stir.
    High Pressure for 5 minutes.
    Quick release, lid off, stir, add in tofu and dill, stir and cover.
    Let it sit for 5 minutes.

Serve with fresh crusty bread. I had this for dinner but I am a volume eater. This could easily serve two normal hungry human beings :)

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 539
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 13 g 21 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 6 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 646 mg 27 %
    Potassium 2488 mg 71 %
    Total Carbohydrate 83 g 28 %
    Dietary Fiber 35 g 140 %
    Sugars 41 g
    Protein 39 g 78 %
    Vitamin A 94 %
    Vitamin C 624 %
    Calcium 92 %
    Iron 71 %

YES to smoked proper paprika.
    I was late to come to the paprika game. Never thought it tasted like much.
    As it turns out, I was just missing the ‘smoked’ part.