Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is anyone confused?

Options
FitFamilyGuy
FitFamilyGuy Posts: 73 Member
Information is great but it really amazes me just how much information and debate complicates some very simple concepts about fitness.

Cardio, Muscle, Burn Fat, Weight Loss, Keto, Atkens, High Carb, Calories In Calories Out, Low Carb, Low Fat, HITT, Low Intensity cardio, Steroids, High Intensity cardio, Sugar, Supplements, Protein, Macros, Micros, Weights, Body Weight, Fitness Gadgets, Functional Training, Food Points... Wow!

No kidding people fail to burn fat and keep a lean healthy weight. Wow!

Do we not have pretty good real world examples of what does and does not work for most people?... there are always exceptions and people do vary but in 2019, can't we point to examples of real world strategies that tend to result in lean, fit people from easy to follow principles?

Replies

• FitFamilyGuy
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

This. IMHO it is only confusing because people don't know how to properly vet sources.

This is important from my perspective because, while I recognize really obvious snake oil pitches for what they are, some of what's out there uses language that a lay person like me has a difficult time understanding to begin with, much less knowing exactly where to go to vet the sources I'm using.

What's helping me (because my mind is to busy for my own good sometimes) is just asking questions here and trusting the "peer review" type answers each question gets, and also remembering 35 years ago I didn't want or need anything complex, whether routine or supplement, to stay in excellent shape.

It's easy to see why folks get confused imo.

You sound logical and it sounds like you have a good approach.

Question, What would be some examples of confusing "language"?

I totally agree that Simple over complex is a very good frame of mind to be in!

Basically I agree with your thinking although I would say that popular trends and topics that get the most attention (lots of peer reviews) are not necessarily the simplest and best strategy. I think this is where a lot of confusion comes in. But I hear your challenge about how to "vet" ideas.

This is a big reason I have taken a lifelong passion and approach of trying and experiencing real results on myself. My results mean more to me than a study with a lot of variables that suggests what I should experience.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

This. IMHO it is only confusing because people don't know how to properly vet sources.

This is important from my perspective because, while I recognize really obvious snake oil pitches for what they are, some of what's out there uses language that a lay person like me has a difficult time understanding to begin with, much less knowing exactly where to go to vet the sources I'm using.

What's helping me (because my mind is to busy for my own good sometimes) is just asking questions here and trusting the "peer review" type answers each question gets, and also remembering 35 years ago I didn't want or need anything complex, whether routine or supplement, to stay in excellent shape.

This is very true. 50 years ago, if you wanted to publish drivel - you had to get a publisher or a magazine to agree to publish your drivel then you had to get someone to actually pick it up and read it. Now you just need a free Wordpress account, the right font choice, proper spelling and some good graphics and it looks like your drivel is coming from the WHO. But some info is good. So how is your average person going to know? What I’m reading makes sense. It might be entirely garbage, but it makes sense and this blog as 2 million followers so it must be right. Right?

And a lot of what’s out there is drivel. And also a lot of what’s out there is a “fit” person talking about what they did to achieve that. Nevermind that simply achieving results doesn’t mean that one has taken the most direct path. If I wake up and pray to the sun god every morning before I do my workout-are my results because I prayed to the sun god? That’s where studies are helpful. Just because someone has done something doesn’t mean it was necessary, helpful or that the same person couldn’t have achieved more by doing something different.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Basically I agree with your thinking although I would say that popular trends and topics that get the most attention (lots of peer reviews) are not necessarily the simplest and best strategy. I think this is where a lot of confusion comes in. But I hear your challenge about how to "vet" ideas.

This is a big reason I have taken a lifelong passion and approach of trying and experiencing real results on myself. My results mean more to me than a study with a lot of variables that suggests what I should experience.
    Supplements mostly. My trainer 35 years ago was adamant that I take nothing but protein powder and "eat until I'm satisfied, not a bite more" her words, and Metrobolin Gold was the protein powder I used. We were beginning to get flooded with supplements at that time and really, no one knew what the effects were, but they were often loaded with terms referencing muscle fiber growth/metabolism (so popular now) boosters/testosterone boosters etc. I can't even pronounce half of what I saw, and still see today lol.
    edit: Addition

I meant to also state that while we couldn't go online then to attempt to vet what we saw, today we can and there is just an argument for ...anything. That's where the confusion today comes in - I cannot differentiate between truth and falsehoods in any number of ""Scientific"" studies.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

This is very true. 50 years ago, if you wanted to publish drivel - you had to get a publisher or a magazine to agree to publish your drivel then you had to get someone to actually pick it up and read it. Now you just need a free Wordpress account, the right font choice, proper spelling and some good graphics and it looks like your drivel is coming from the WHO. But some info is good. So how is your average person going to know? What I’m reading makes sense. It might be entirely garbage, but it makes sense and this blog as 2 million followers so it must be right. Right?

And a lot of what’s out there is drivel. And also a lot of what’s out there is a “fit” person talking about what they did to achieve that. Nevermind that simply achieving results doesn’t mean that one has taken the most direct path. If I wake up and pray to the sun god every morning before I do my workout-are my results because I prayed to the sun god? That’s where studies are helpful. Just because someone has done something doesn’t mean it was necessary, helpful or that the same person couldn’t have achieved more by doing something different.

Yes! Thank you :)
  • FitFamilyGuy
    Options

Supplements mostly. My trainer 35 years ago was adamant that I take nothing but protein powder and "eat until I'm satisfied, not a bite more" her words, and Metrobolin Gold was the protein powder I used. We were beginning to get flooded with supplements at that time and really, no one knew what the effects were, but they were often loaded with terms referencing muscle fiber growth/metabolism (so popular now) boosters/testosterone boosters etc. I can't even pronounce half of what I saw, and still see today lol.
    edit: Addition

I meant to also state that while we couldn't go online then to attempt to vet what we saw, today we can and there is just an argument for ...anything. That's where the confusion today comes in - I cannot differentiate between truth and falsehoods in any number of ""Scientific"" studies.

Again you make a lot of sense. I've never been overly sold on supplements. Protein as a "supplement" to diet makes sense to me. A multivitamin for general health makes sense but I totally agree about the noise of various products.
  • FitFamilyGuy
    edited February 2019
    Options

This makes sense Phirrgus.

Ideally the average person can use best judgement to decipher between relevant and irrelevant pointers from a fit person. Having someone explain how they achieved success in a way you want to achieve success is often considered invaluable. Nothing is perfect as a lot of studies have so many variables including short durations, small samples, bias, limited control over the accuracy of the data, the type of subjects used etc.

For Example:
    A study about "exercise" and "metabolism" that studies a group of marathon runners likely doesn't provide much insight to a guy like me whose primary form of "exercise" is weights.
    Or
    Some people argue about tiny details in a study that may have a fraction of importance on the end goal and then that study really confuses people about what they should do.
    Or
    Sometimes studies rely on people self reporting what they did, ate or how much rest they had.

These kinds of thing seems very common and it is likely just as confusing, if not more confusing than the fit person explaining their process to get the way they are.

But even the "fit guy" has a lot of problems as drugs is often hidden. This seems more common than most people realize. Hopefully the "fit guy" can provide enough information to address the drugs concern (if it is a concern for that person). But then again, magazines constantly misrepresent results from a natural or drugs perspective.

Tough go. Keeping it simple has worked for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Ideally the average person can use best judgement to decipher between relevant and irrelevant pointers from a fit person. Having someone explain how they achieved success in a way you want to achieve success is often considered invaluable. Nothing is perfect as a lot of studies have so many variables including short durations, small samples, bias, limited control over the accuracy of the data, the type of subjects used etc.

For Example:
    A study about "exercise" and "metabolism" that studies a group of marathon runners likely doesn't provide much insight to a guy like me whose primary form of "exercise" is weights.
    Or
    Some people argue about tiny details in a study that may have a fraction of importance on the end goal and then that study really confuses people about what they should do.
    Or
    Sometimes studies rely on people self reporting what they did, ate or how much rest they had.

These kinds of thing seems very common and it is likely just as confusing, if not more confusing than the fit person explaining their process to get the way they are.

But even the "fit guy" has a lot of problems as drugs is often hidden. This seems more common than most people realize. Hopefully the "fit guy" can provide enough information to address the drugs concern (if it is a concern for that person). But then again, magazines constantly misrepresent results from a natural or drugs perspective.

So, are you saying you think that individual anecdote is more valuable than scientific studies?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

For Example:
    Or
    Or

So, are you saying you think that individual anecdote is more valuable than scientific studies?

To add to your thought, the reason I believe science should trump individual anecdotes is because people are often attributing their success to things other than what brought them the success. A good example is keto/low carb. I have seen many people in these forums suggest that simply cutting carbs is in itself enough to lose weight. So if "Bob" does keto and loses 50 pounds, he can tell everyone that keto is the key to weight loss, when the truth is the weight was lost as a direct result of a caloric deficit. Keto may have made it easier for "Bob" to adhere to a deficit, but it wasn't the absence of carbs that provided the weight loss, it was the absence of extra calories. Science has proved CICO and is much more reliable in this situation then "Bob's" personal anecdotes.

To bring this full circle, "Bob's" confusion on the mechanisms underlying his weight loss adds to the confusion in the general public.
  • FitFamilyGuy
    edited February 2019
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

For Example:
    Or
    Or

No I am not.

I agree that people can get cause and effect wrong including the "fit guy". I agree that people can have bias. We are all human just like the scientist conducting a study.

I enjoy reading about facts, data, science and theories that others are trying. I try many of them too! I learn from others and I learn from my mistakes. Learning isn't one dimensional.

However, my personal experience, my passion, my research and my personal real world results based on my personal actions do mean more to me than a study that tells me what "should happen" to me.

If I wanted to learn how to play in the NHL, personally, I would be way more interested in learning from Sidney Crosby and asking how he got there than I would be from a commentator who did not play in the NHL but does get paid full time to watch and study the game.

I would rather learn about SEO from someone who built up a site and is getting huge traffic from search than I would someone who studies SEO and offers a course on it.

Both approaches have flaws but I do trust my results over others theories and tests. If I had the chance to talk to someone who achieved what I wanted to achieve, I would be thrilled and I would place a huge amount of value on that. If I see something about a test finding I would be intrigued and likely want to learn more and verify its accuracy the best that I can.