Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is anyone confused?

Options

Replies

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Not everyone is the same! So a exercise may work for someone or it might not?

Not sure what you mean by 'work.' Exercise will work pretty much the same way for everyone, provided they are physically capable of doing it. Where they may individually differ is in the amount of calories expended.

For a simple example, take walking. Walking is cardio and burns calories.

Where it differs from person-to-person is in how many calories it burns in an hour, dependent on how fast they're walking, terrain, and how much extra weight they're carrying on their body to begin with. An obese person, walking at the same pace as as someone who isn't, will burn more calories in that time frame, simply because of the extra physical effort required to do so, as they are also having to propel their excess weight along with them.

But the exercise of walking is definitely 'working' for them both.

So you will give someone who is 100 kg overweight the same exercise and eating plan as someone who's super fit or someone who needs to put on weight.. Then that's you that's what you will do!!!!

That's rather obviously not what was said.

You didn't assert that the same exercise plan might not be right for one person, even if it is for another. That's perfectly obvious and no one would disagree with that.

What you said is that a specific exercise might "work" for some people and not others. That's a rather confusing thing to say, since what are you considering "an exercise" and what do you mean by "working"?

The example given was a good one -- walking works in that you can burn some calories and improve fitness walking. There are exceptions -- not everyone is capable of walking -- but that doesn't really need to be pointed out.

Now, if I say walking can work for anyone, do I mean that the same walking plan would be beneficial for all, or that a plan based on walking is ideal for all? No, of course not. I'm a huge fan of walking more throughout the day (I live in a big city so this is easy for me), but for some people it won't help them with their fitness goals, and some may be so out of shape that they can only walk about a mile at first or can't walk at the same speed as others, etc.

Similarly, swimming is a great exercise, but some don't know how to swim or hate it, so it's not a good exercise for them. That doesn't mean the exercise itself wouldn't "work" as in some people have bodies that will not be made more fit by the motions of swimming.

Maybe you didn't mean something like that, but it sure seemed like you did.

Op said; Do we not have pretty good real world examples of what does and does not work for most people?... there are always exceptions and people do vary but in 2019, can't we point to examples of real world strategies that tend to result in lean, fit people from easy to follow principles?

i said No! everyone is different you will not get the same results. You have your opinion about this that's fine!
    A group of people can go do a exercise class and they will all benefit from it but there results will not be the same. Some may say if you need to lose weight you need to eat less and train harder! Now this is not always the case!!! because there is so many factors that should be accounted for! There is no such thing as one size fits all exercise and eating plan. Unless your goal is to get fit and health then group classes will be the way to go But if you think everyone is going to look like Op after 4 years of classes this would not be the case!!!

Who is "Op"? Did you mean me?

Yeah you
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options

Yup. Original Poster.

(forum shortcuts)
  • FitFamilyGuy
    FitFamilyGuy Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

Interesting. I certainly would want to talk to Usain Bolt. I would guess that for Usain Bolt, winning a gold medal was not his first step on a track in which his genetics won him the prize. That is probably a person who dedicated his entire life and focused his passion to perfect every aspect of sprinting and the bonus was his genetics. The information he could pass on would be invaluable to someone wanting to learn how to sprint fast. The idea is not to do exactly what he does but the idea is to learn from his real world journey and results... In my opinion.

Usain used to be pretty well known for just going to the track, running as fast as possible and not necessarily going mad with technique or nutrition or fine detail. Take it with a grain of salt but he apparently just ate his grannys cooking and as much of it as he could get when he was younger. He's just a crazy gifted sprinter. (I watched a BBC documentary once, this isn't gospel lol)

Now when I google I get countless "TRAIN LIKE USAIN" diet and workout programs so I guess he's figured out that approach doesn't sell.

I'm still surprised but we can agree to disagree. If someone has done what I want to do, I want to know how they did it. I can use some of my own common sense to filter, test and research. I don't doubt that Usain Bolt or other extreme examples have a casual, laid back attitude that they portray. However, I find it hard to believe that under the facade there isn't a treasure trove of information from the early days to the advanced days.

Now some people would rather rely on an institution to give them information and some people would rather make things happen and learn from their experience. Some people would rather learn about business and some people would rather take a leap and start a business. We are all different. Some people thrive off the school of hard knocks and some people prefer to study. What is better? Perhaps both?

For me, 26 years of being fit, lean, strong, healthy, active, feeling young and balanced with a great family... I already have the answer for me. Hopefully the others in this debate have the answer that works just as well for them.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Op said; Do we not have pretty good real world examples of what does and does not work for most people?... there are always exceptions and people do vary but in 2019, can't we point to examples of real world strategies that tend to result in lean, fit people from easy to follow principles?

i said No! everyone is different you will not get the same results. You have your opinion about this that's fine!
    A group of people can go do a exercise class and they will all benefit from it but there results will not be the same. Some may say if you need to lose weight you need to eat less and train harder! Now this is not always the case!!! because there is so many factors that should be accounted for! There is no such thing as one size fits all exercise and eating plan. Unless your goal is to get fit and health then group classes will be the way to go But if you think everyone is going to look like Op after 4 years of classes this would not be the case!!!

Well, OP also said this:
    Information is great but it really amazes me just how much information and debate complicates some very simple concepts about fitness.
    And he's correct about that and I believe this is what much of the debate stems from, information.

Regarding the bold - I see this a lot, and you've stated some variation of it multiple times. Although there is some truth there, there are also known variables that can be accounted for, studied in control groups of various sizes and conclusions drawn with reasonable certainty.

It sounds as though you're opting for a free for all approach regarding known science and techniques because not all participants may not have the same exact results.

Is that accurate? If so, I respectfully disagree.
  • FitFamilyGuy
    Options

Yup. Original Poster.

(forum shortcuts)

Haha... yeah I figured it out too late apparently as I edited the post too late. Not a big forum guy.
  • Phirrgus
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Well, OP also said this:
    Information is great but it really amazes me just how much information and debate complicates some very simple concepts about fitness.
    And he's correct about that and I believe this is what much of the debate stems from, information.

Regarding the bold - I see this a lot, and you've stated some variation of it multiple times. Although there is some truth there, there are also known variables that can be accounted for, studied in control groups of various sizes and conclusions drawn with reasonable certainty.

It sounds as though you're opting for a free for all approach regarding known science and techniques because not all participants may not have the same exact results.

Unless your goal is to get fit and health then group classes will be the way to go But if you think everyone is going to look like Op after 4 years of classes this would not be the case!!!

I would like to add to this. I don't do "group classes" to achieve my results and I don't think group classes is the best way to "get fit and healthy".

I can say that I have kept a similar build to what my picture shows for 26 years straight. I have done that with as little as three trips a week to the gym and as much as seven. Personally, I consider myself healthy for 41 years old and I attribute it to my conscious decisions and actions, not because I am lucky.

Would my approach work for others? Apparently some of the posters could care less and feel that there is little to no value in others personal experiences. I think that kind of approach is unfortunate but we are all different. Heck sometimes business takes over because it isn't profitable for an organization to have potential customers paying attention to individuals. We are all different. Again, I think there is a lot of value in hearing how others do what they do, if it is what I want to be able to do too. Haha, silly last sentence. ;)

Regarding the bold - it isn't that there's no value in personal experience. It's the environment and the audience. I'm well muscled for 59 years old and can run circles around much younger co-workers, but there are some extremely advanced lifters/runners/swimmers/cyclists and so on that have been posting here for years, chatting with each other, sharing tips and tricks etc.

My wife and friends compliment me (which I am extremely grateful for!) but here...I am average at best. I'm not going to impress anyone here - they've seen better LoL. That's not humility by the way, just an acknowledgement. I have a 1st responder on my friends list that could bench press me with ease :D I'm grateful she shares tips :)

edit: Come to think of it, I have two women on my friends list that could bench press me with ease :D
  • FitFamilyGuy
    edited February 2019
    Options

Well, OP also said this:

Unless your goal is to get fit and health then group classes will be the way to go But if you think everyone is going to look like Op after 4 years of classes this would not be the case!!!

I would like to add to this. I don't do "group classes" to achieve my results and I don't think group classes is the best way to "get fit and healthy".

I can say that I have kept a similar build to what my picture shows for 26 years straight. I have done that with as little as three trips a week to the gym and as much as seven. Personally, I consider myself healthy for 41 years old and I attribute it to my conscious decisions and actions, not because I am lucky.

Would my approach work for others? Apparently some of the posters could care less and feel that there is little to no value in others personal experiences. I think that kind of approach is unfortunate but we are all different. Heck sometimes business takes over because it isn't profitable for an organization to have potential customers paying attention to individuals. We are all different. Again, I think there is a lot of value in hearing how others do what they do, if it is what I want to be able to do too. Haha, silly last sentence. ;)

Regarding the bold - it isn't that there's no value in personal experience. It's the environment and the audience. I'm well muscled for 59 years old and can run circles around much younger co-workers, but there are some extremely advanced lifters/runners/swimmers/cyclists and so on that have been posting here for years, chatting with each other, sharing tips and tricks etc.

My wife and friends compliment me (which I am extremely grateful for!) but here...I am average at best. I'm not going to impress anyone here - they've seen better LoL. That's not humility by the way, just an acknowledgement. I have a 1st responder on my friends list that could bench press me with ease :D I'm grateful she shares tips :)

edit: Come to think of it, I have two women on my friends list that could bench press me with ease :D

I apologize for not understanding your point. Feel free to clarify.

I hope I was not misunderstood. I know there are regular posters and even moderators who do this for a living. I was just elaborating on the point about personal experiences in general and the perceived value of them. When things are phrased in different ways they sometimes have a different impact on the reader. I do not take it personally.

Are you trying to say that here my fitness success is "average" so others won't value my path to success?

Again, I am sorry if I misunderstood your post.
  • Phirrgus
    edited February 2019
    Options

Well, OP also said this:

I apologize for not understanding your point. Feel free to clarify.

I hope I was not misunderstood. I know there are regular posters and even moderators who do this for a living. I was just elaborating on the point about personal experiences in general and the perceived value of them. When things are phrased in different ways they sometimes have a different impact on the reader. I do not take it personally.

Again, I am sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Oh no problem man - I may not have worded it fully and/or correctly.

Most of the folks I've had the pleasure of chatting with here are extremely fact and data oriented. Personal anecdotes are shared freely, but most discussions I've seen that have real weight behind them usually involve advanced techniques and form/links to why one protein may be referable over another/Why this combination of cardio + lifting may be better than that one.

One of my friends posts research papers about very advanced investigations into why 30%1RM high volume may or may not equal 70%1RM low volume etc.

Lots and lots of scientifically driven discussion. That takes precedence here over personal experience, which is almost impossible to quantify.

That's all I meant :)

edit: I just realized Duck_Puddle beat me to it - you're fast! :D
  • Constancely_Hungry
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Cardio, Muscle, Burn Fat, Weight Loss, Keto, Atkens, High Carb, Calories In Calories Out, Low Carb, Low Fat, HITT, Low Intensity cardio, Steroids, High Intensity cardio, Sugar, Supplements, Protein, Macros, Micros, Weights, Body Weight, Fitness Gadgets, Functional Training, Food Points... Wow!

No kidding people fail to burn fat and keep a lean healthy weight. Wow!

Do we not have pretty good real world examples of what does and does not work for most people?... there are always exceptions and people do vary but in 2019, can't we point to examples of real world strategies that tend to result in lean, fit people from easy to follow principles?

Problem is that people don't want easy to follow. They want easy to do. Big difference.

There is a simple answer to what works for ALL people. Calories in vs. calories out. Easier to say than it is to do. Hence the reason for every single diet fad ever created.

This is so true and I'm guilty of this. This time around I'm taking the easy to follow approach even thought I know it will be more difficult. I've spent too much time and energy on the easy fixes that don't ever work.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling there's a sales pitch coming?

Well, that would be one way to get me to leave the thread pretty fast....
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Not everyone is the same! So a exercise may work for someone or it might not?

Not sure what you mean by 'work.' Exercise will work pretty much the same way for everyone, provided they are physically capable of doing it. Where they may individually differ is in the amount of calories expended.

For a simple example, take walking. Walking is cardio and burns calories.

Where it differs from person-to-person is in how many calories it burns in an hour, dependent on how fast they're walking, terrain, and how much extra weight they're carrying on their body to begin with. An obese person, walking at the same pace as as someone who isn't, will burn more calories in that time frame, simply because of the extra physical effort required to do so, as they are also having to propel their excess weight along with them.

But the exercise of walking is definitely 'working' for them both.

So you will give someone who is 100 kg overweight the same exercise and eating plan as someone who's super fit or someone who needs to put on weight.. Then that's you that's what you will do!!!!

That's rather obviously not what was said.

You didn't assert that the same exercise plan might not be right for one person, even if it is for another. That's perfectly obvious and no one would disagree with that.

What you said is that a specific exercise might "work" for some people and not others. That's a rather confusing thing to say, since what are you considering "an exercise" and what do you mean by "working"?

The example given was a good one -- walking works in that you can burn some calories and improve fitness walking. There are exceptions -- not everyone is capable of walking -- but that doesn't really need to be pointed out.

Now, if I say walking can work for anyone, do I mean that the same walking plan would be beneficial for all, or that a plan based on walking is ideal for all? No, of course not. I'm a huge fan of walking more throughout the day (I live in a big city so this is easy for me), but for some people it won't help them with their fitness goals, and some may be so out of shape that they can only walk about a mile at first or can't walk at the same speed as others, etc.

Similarly, swimming is a great exercise, but some don't know how to swim or hate it, so it's not a good exercise for them. That doesn't mean the exercise itself wouldn't "work" as in some people have bodies that will not be made more fit by the motions of swimming.

Maybe you didn't mean something like that, but it sure seemed like you did.

This is all reasonably sensible. Obviously you would want to tailor what you do to personal preferences and personality traits, but our biology is not different.
    i said No! everyone is different you will not get the same results. You have your opinion about this that's fine! A group of people can go do a exercise class and they will all benefit from it but there results will not be the same.

No one said it would be. (You seem really into exercise classes. That's a personal preference difference, as I am not a huge fan of them as my main way to exercise.)
    Some may say if you need to lose weight you need to eat less and train harder! Now this is not always the case!!! because there is so many factors that should be accounted for!

Um, yes, increasing activity and decreasing food intake is how to lose weight, although it's true -- although not ideal -- that one can do it without exercising if one wants.
    There is no such thing as one size fits all exercise and eating plan.

No one said there was.

Why on earth would group classes be the best way to go for everyone wanting to get fit and healthy?
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

Interesting. I certainly would want to talk to Usain Bolt. I would guess that for Usain Bolt, winning a gold medal was not his first step on a track in which his genetics won him the prize. That is probably a person who dedicated his entire life and focused his passion to perfect every aspect of sprinting and the bonus was his genetics. The information he could pass on would be invaluable to someone wanting to learn how to sprint fast. The idea is not to do exactly what he does but the idea is to learn from his real world journey and results... In my opinion.

Usain used to be pretty well known for just going to the track, running as fast as possible and not necessarily going mad with technique or nutrition or fine detail. Take it with a grain of salt but he apparently just ate his grannys cooking and as much of it as he could get when he was younger. He's just a crazy gifted sprinter. (I watched a BBC documentary once, this isn't gospel lol)

Now when I google I get countless "TRAIN LIKE USAIN" diet and workout programs so I guess he's figured out that approach doesn't sell.

It is worth considering that this can be misdirection. I know that Michael Phelps made a lot of news rounds with a 12,000 calorie training diet. After the Olympics, it turned out he wasn't using that many calories - he just put up an incredibly high number to convince his competition he was training that hard to psych them out and potentially get them to commit to overtraining.