Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is anyone confused?

Options

Replies

• FitFamilyGuy
    FitFamilyGuy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Op said; Do we not have pretty good real world examples of what does and does not work for most people?... there are always exceptions and people do vary but in 2019, can't we point to examples of real world strategies that tend to result in lean, fit people from easy to follow principles?

i said No! everyone is different you will not get the same results. You have your opinion about this that's fine!
    A group of people can go do a exercise class and they will all benefit from it but there results will not be the same. Some may say if you need to lose weight you need to eat less and train harder! Now this is not always the case!!! because there is so many factors that should be accounted for! There is no such thing as one size fits all exercise and eating plan. Unless your goal is to get fit and health then group classes will be the way to go But if you think everyone is going to look like Op after 4 years of classes this would not be the case!!!

Well, OP also said this:
    Information is great but it really amazes me just how much information and debate complicates some very simple concepts about fitness.
    And he's correct about that and I believe this is what much of the debate stems from, information.

Regarding the bold - I see this a lot, and you've stated some variation of it multiple times. Although there is some truth there, there are also known variables that can be accounted for, studied in control groups of various sizes and conclusions drawn with reasonable certainty.

It sounds as though you're opting for a free for all approach regarding known science and techniques because not all participants may not have the same exact results.

Is that accurate? If so, I respectfully disagree.
    Unless your goal is to get fit and health then group classes will be the way to go But if you think everyone is going to look like Op after 4 years of classes this would not be the case!!!

I would like to add to this. I don't do "group classes" to achieve my results and I don't think group classes is the best way to "get fit and healthy".

I can say that I have kept a similar build to what my picture shows for 26 years straight. I have done that with as little as three trips a week to the gym and as much as seven. Personally, I consider myself healthy for 41 years old and I attribute it to my conscious decisions and actions, not because I am lucky.

Would my approach work for others? Apparently some of the posters could care less and feel that there is little to no value in others personal experiences. I think that kind of approach is unfortunate but we are all different. Heck sometimes business takes over because it isn't profitable for an organization to have potential customers paying attention to individuals. We are all different. Again, I think there is a lot of value in hearing how others do what they do, if it is what I want to be able to do too. Haha, silly last sentence. ;)

Regarding the bold - it isn't that there's no value in personal experience. It's the environment and the audience. I'm well muscled for 59 years old and can run circles around much younger co-workers, but there are some extremely advanced lifters/runners/swimmers/cyclists and so on that have been posting here for years, chatting with each other, sharing tips and tricks etc.

My wife and friends compliment me (which I am extremely grateful for!) but here...I am average at best. I'm not going to impress anyone here - they've seen better LoL. That's not humility by the way, just an acknowledgement. I have a 1st responder on my friends list that could bench press me with ease :D I'm grateful she shares tips :)

edit: Come to think of it, I have two women on my friends list that could bench press me with ease :D

I apologize for not understanding your point. Feel free to clarify.

I hope I was not misunderstood. I know there are regular posters and even moderators who do this for a living. I was just elaborating on the point about personal experiences in general and the perceived value of them. When things are phrased in different ways they sometimes have a different impact on the reader. I do not take it personally.

Again, I am sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Oh no problem man - I may not have worded it fully and/or correctly.

Most of the folks I've had the pleasure of chatting with here are extremely fact and data oriented. Personal anecdotes are shared freely, but most discussions I've seen that have real weight behind them usually involve advanced techniques and form/links to why one protein may be referable over another/Why this combination of cardio + lifting may be better than that one.

One of my friends posts research papers about very advanced investigations into why 30%1RM high volume may or may not equal 70%1RM low volume etc.

Lots and lots of scientifically driven discussion. That takes precedence here over personal experience, which is almost impossible to quantify.

That's all I meant :)

edit: I just realized Duck_Puddle beat me to it - you're fast! :D

I'm running short on time so please excuse the quickly reply. I totally appreciate your point and agree as I too like to learn about facts and data. This shouldn't get lost in my replies. However, if I find someone I look up to because of their results, I want to know more. Not only that but I think it explains a lot about what does and does not work. That seems logical to me and it serves me well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

This. IMHO it is only confusing because people don't know how to properly vet sources.

This is important from my perspective because, while I recognize really obvious snake oil pitches for what they are, some of what's out there uses language that a lay person like me has a difficult time understanding to begin with, much less knowing exactly where to go to vet the sources I'm using.

What's helping me (because my mind is to busy for my own good sometimes) is just asking questions here and trusting the "peer review" type answers each question gets, and also remembering 35 years ago I didn't want or need anything complex, whether routine or supplement, to stay in excellent shape.

It's easy to see why folks get confused imo.

This is very true. 50 years ago, if you wanted to publish drivel - you had to get a publisher or a magazine to agree to publish your drivel then you had to get someone to actually pick it up and read it. Now you just need a free Wordpress account, the right font choice, proper spelling and some good graphics and it looks like your drivel is coming from the WHO. But some info is good. So how is your average person going to know? What I’m reading makes sense. It might be entirely garbage, but it makes sense and this blog as 2 million followers so it must be right. Right?

And a lot of what’s out there is drivel. And also a lot of what’s out there is a “fit” person talking about what they did to achieve that. Nevermind that simply achieving results doesn’t mean that one has taken the most direct path. If I wake up and pray to the sun god every morning before I do my workout-are my results because I prayed to the sun god? That’s where studies are helpful. Just because someone has done something doesn’t mean it was necessary, helpful or that the same person couldn’t have achieved more by doing something different.

This makes sense Phirrgus.

Ideally the average person can use best judgement to decipher between relevant and irrelevant pointers from a fit person. Having someone explain how they achieved success in a way you want to achieve success is often considered invaluable. Nothing is perfect as a lot of studies have so many variables including short durations, small samples, bias, limited control over the accuracy of the data, the type of subjects used etc.

For Example:
    A study about "exercise" and "metabolism" that studies a group of marathon runners likely doesn't provide much insight to a guy like me whose primary form of "exercise" is weights.
    Or
    Some people argue about tiny details in a study that may have a fraction of importance on the end goal and then that study really confuses people about what they should do.
    Or
    Sometimes studies rely on people self reporting what they did, ate or how much rest they had.

These kinds of thing seems very common and it is likely just as confusing, if not more confusing than the fit person explaining their process to get the way they are.

But even the "fit guy" has a lot of problems as drugs is often hidden. This seems more common than most people realize. Hopefully the "fit guy" can provide enough information to address the drugs concern (if it is a concern for that person). But then again, magazines constantly misrepresent results from a natural or drugs perspective.

Tough go. Keeping it simple has worked for me.

So, are you saying you think that individual anecdote is more valuable than scientific studies?

No I am not.

I agree that people can get cause and effect wrong including the "fit guy". I agree that people can have bias. We are all human just like the scientist conducting a study.

I enjoy reading about facts, data, science and theories that others are trying. I try many of them too! I learn from others and I learn from my mistakes. Learning isn't one dimensional.

However, my personal experience, my passion, my research and my personal real world results based on my personal actions do mean more to me than a study that tells me what "should happen" to me.

If I wanted to learn how to play in the NHL, personally, I would be way more interested in learning from Sidney Crosby and asking how he got there than I would be from a commentator who did not play in the NHL but does get paid full time to watch and study the game.

I would rather learn about SEO from someone who built up a site and is getting huge traffic from search than I would someone who studies SEO and offers a course on it.

Both approaches have flaws but I do trust my results over others theories and tests. If I had the chance to talk to someone who achieved what I wanted to achieve, I would be thrilled and I would place a huge amount of value on that. If I see something about a test finding I would be intrigued and likely want to learn more and verify its accuracy the best that I can.

But the way they achieved the success may not be the most efficient... they may have even had success despite doing the wrong things... happens all the time. and if that person was doing the right things, imagine how much better there results would have been!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure has been mentioned many times, there's no money to be made by teaching people to eat fewer calories than they burn. Unfortunately the diet industry is all about making $$ not about actually helping people.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey folks - a friendly reminder to keep this debate to the issue and not the personalities or people posting.