What made you fat?

Options

Replies

• fleawill
    fleawill Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cheese, sweets, alcohol + not paying attention to how much I was eating or portion sizes + very little physical activity + eating out of boredom, stress, or celebrating = obese. It takes a lot of effort to change a whole bunch of bad habits.
  • t00lz
    t00lz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eating all the food my kids don't finish... and all the snacks after they went to bed. Stay at home parenting is tough on the waistline if you're not careful!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Eating too much food!
  • jenjen3713
    jenjen3713 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and didn't exercise at all. I was eating mindlessly to deal with stress and issues in my life instead of dealing with them the right way and ate when I was bored.
  • stryker520
    stryker520 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Going from a very active life to two years in bed with an injury.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Consistently eating a ludicrous amount of extraordinarily high calorie foods far to frequently and over a long period of time.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    kmaize123 wrote: »
    I'm a binge eater. I just don't stop eating even when I feel sick!

I especially eat when sick, somebody told me it would make me feel better I guess. Especially sinus infections, get on chips and junk food. Guess I don't want to feel pain but now I know it is best to feel it or be sick or be sick and fat.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Beer.
    It’s easy to drink a pound’s worth of calories in beer in a week.
  • enkoni
    enkoni Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Medical school. Too much sitting + late night comfort/stress eating.
  • MaxineMarieM
    MaxineMarieM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Eating too much, lack of dedication and laziness.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,511 Member
    Options
    Binge eating especially at night. I would eat until I was so full and depressed I ate so much. Skipping meals so I would end up binging.
  • Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bluebell Christmas cookie ice cream :*
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Having to re-learn how to approach grocery shopping, food storage, and cooking in a new country combined with easy access to affordable, diverse, and delicious restaurants right outside my door.

Our first apartment here had a mini fridge, two gas burners (no oven), & nowhere to store shelf-stable goods. Oh, and dishwashers aren’t a thing either. By the time we got into a place with a workable kitchen, eating out constantly had become a habit.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Obviously eating too much, but the question is what caused me to stop caring about it.

That answer is depression. Severe depression. As in not wanting to leave bed, not caring about anything, and wanting to just die. So I wasn't cooking and I wasn't active. I ate too much fast food, drank too much soda, and lived on just whatever I wanted because "who cares how I feel and look and I don't deserve to be happy and healthy."
  • ashleynicolewise
    Options
    So many things! Unhealthy eating throughout my childhood, denial, the loss of my mom, bad choices, overall stress and emotional eating...
  • JenniferAndres
    JenniferAndres Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ate all the “crap food” I wanted in my teens. Absolutely hated gym class so as soon as I was done with it- didn’t do it. But then I loved to ice skate. Pregnancy then came, to me,meant I couldn’t do that anymore. I gained so much weight, and since I hated exercise- I didn’t lose the baby weight- in fact I gained. Thyroid also became an issue after my son came. Things were stressful and I got a desk job- loved food! And turned to it for comfort. Just packed on the pounds over the years. - lack of exercise, eating lots, stress, and evidently just not caring about the weight(because family and financials were more important than how I looked- the health issues that were creeping in were just merely more *kitten* to deal with- go to the doc, get a pill, and keep moving.). And then when the opportunities came- just pure shame of my “athletic inabilities” was enough to even stop trying. (Think-“Ican’t do this so why try?” Or “I can’t do it so it’s a waste of time to even bother”) and then when I did try and was ready to give up there’s those thoughts of (“all he wants is an arm charm, *kitten* it” - which was only partially true or “ why am I doing this, shouldn’t I be accepted as I am?” Or “aren’t I good enough as I am?”- the ex telling me if I didn’t lose weight he’d find someone new didn’t help this (although he thought it was motivation)). Depression set in once the ex was gone (and the reasons why- I won’t say- were really triggers). And anxiety over being a single parent, didn’t help either. My weight took a back burner to what was going on in my life. Now I’m ready. I am accepted as I am. - current husband accepts me as I am, and is very loving and supportive. I am good enough as I am. But, this is for me- I want to look and feel better. I want to do fun activities instead of sitting on the sidelines. - sorry about the long post, but It was quite “therapeutic” to write it out. Thanks for asking the question!
  • nwnightowl206
    nwnightowl206 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everyone has said it - we eat too much. What might be worth saying is that often we only eat a little too much - just 50 to 150 calories a day. Over days, and weeks, and months that turns into a lot of added weight.

this is so true, I love peppermints and a friend gave me a bag for Christmas, I calculated it out and if you changed nothing else and ate just one peppermint a day at the end of the year it would equal 2 more pounds, and I never ate just one
  • nwnightowl206
    nwnightowl206 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was put on anti-psychotic medications that caused my appetite to sky rocket. So, I started matching my 6'2" husbands (who was already eating too much for himself) portions and I gained 60 lbs in one year. I wish I would have noticed it sooner :(

same here, I was put on a whole slew of depression meds and gained 50 pounds in a year, I have lost about 35 of it but it has taken forever, I'm on track now to lose the rest but wish I had never taken so many meds, for me they didn't even help and just made me sicker :(
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    bad eating habits
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I have terribly weak physical appetite cues, strong mental appetite cues, a tendency to get ‘hungry’ when bored, and a low boredom threshold. Result: every day was binge eating day...