Question for those who don't want to be ripped.

Options
I am a veteran who used to be in amazing shape. My profile picture is me climbing Mt. Fugi in Japan. I was in the best shape of my life. My question is, What if I don't want to get back there? I want to lose weight and be healthier, but I don't need or want to be in the shape I was when I was in the military. I want to be thinner and healthier, but I am not joining any weight lifting contests or running any marathons. (I did a full triathlon in Japan. Good stuff.) I don't know if I am making any sense. Is there any one out there like me. Just getting healthier, not ripped.:happy:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Me...I wont be running any marathons either or in a lifting contest or displaying my muscle on stage.

I just want lower bf% and to be healthy....

PS ex military as well...been there done that....

PPS my husband also requested I don't get too small....:love:
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Just figure out your calorie deficit and do some cardio, exercise, etc. I'm just trying to get thinner myself.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - no one gets ripped by accident.
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm just plugging away with basic exercise in the forms of walking and pilates along side my diet. I don't have the inclination to work backside off to get ripped, and it doesn't at all suit my frame like it does some women anyway! At least it's not a hard thing to avoid!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    No one gets ripped by accident.

Train and eat as though you want to get ripped but then slow it down to a maintenance programme once you reach your desired level of muscle/BF.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Just don't cut as much fat. It's that simple. If you start getting too cut, eat more.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I dont get it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Agreed. It takes a concerted effort to get ripped and build competition-winning muscles.

Now, if you train and eat more like a competition-winning bodybuilder, you're more likely to achieve the look you want. If you train and eat nothing like any athlete, you won't look like any athlete.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I dont get it.

I don't either.

It takes a lot of effort. LOT to get ripped. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, dont lift. Youll get huge.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    When you get to a level of body fat that you're happy with, stop losing and switch to maintenance. If you accidentally lose too much and look too ripped, gain some back.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

It's true. Anyone who touches a weight automatically gets jacked arms, a ripped chest, and vascular as all get up.

<insert sarcasm here>
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing in the world....just don't do what you did then.

tumblr_lxqaq23BD71qc67tzo1_250.gif
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Is there any one out there like me. Just getting healthier, not ripped.:happy:

ME!

A decade ago I lost weight and got about 20 lbs below my current goal. I sustained it for several years, but started gaining it back after my increasingly busy schedule made it more difficult to find time to exercise. It all went downhill from there.

My goal this time around is to have a more sustainable plan.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

It's true. Anyone who touches a weight automatically gets jacked arms, a ripped chest, and vascular as all get up.

<insert sarcasm here>

I was going to ask what I was doing wrong, because I'm not getting ripped and I do more than TOUCH the weights. Then I noticed your sarcasm. :laugh:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Most people don't plan to compete on stage or run marathons, etc. Training for those events are different & specific.

To meet your goals it is still important to eat correctly & workout, generally both weight training & cardio. And, as mentioned, no one gets ripped by accident. Don't worry that picking up a barbell will turn you into a shirtless wonder... lol....
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    And basically, if you don't want to enter contests or run marathons, that's cool. People's priorities change through life. :smile:
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Op - I think your question really is "Is anyone else's goal simply trying to get a bit healthier rather than attain a certain body look" and the answer to that would be 'yes', lots of people.

I know that if you spend a lot of time in the forums, particularly the fitness one, it can appear that the majority of people have a goal of muscle definition, but I think that's simply the forum demographic.

Personally I don't give a crap about defined muscles; I'm a 44yr old woman so my goals are more realistic for me at my age - simply shedding excess fat and being able to do a good range of activities without getting out of breath and feeling like I need an ambulance following me. That's it.

As others have said; if you're not busting your *kitten* doing weights and all the other activities aimed at building/defining muscle then there's no chance you'll end up 'ripped' anyway.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ This. Train less. Eat more. Problem solved.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I did one time. I just walked into the squat rack and BAM! Ripped as all get out. I'm still trying to recover by eating as many cauliflower hamburgers as I can. I've been told cauliflower is magical that way, prevents all sorts of bulkiness.