Question for those who don't want to be ripped.

Options

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Funny that everyone seems to have read this as if the OP is worried that he's going to accidentally get ripped. I just read it as he's wondering if anyone else has similar goals? maybe I missed something :wink:
    Anyway, I wouldn't say I want to get ripped but I would LOVE some nice muscle definition, and I think it's going to take me quite a while longer to reach that goal. I don't think I'd have the discipline to get ripped (ie get relatively low body fat %), even if I wanted to.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Its not like you're going to hit the gym and wake up one day too "ripped" for your taste....it takes hard work and dedication. you can use the same workout tactics to get ripped or just get fit enough to be healthy....you just adjust your routine when you get to the level of physical fitness you want to maintain.

I mean....this whole post sounds like an excuse to stay fat, honestly.

This.
    Just stay fat.

What the hell are you two on about, did you even read the OP's opening post?

I think the pair of you cannot read.

The OP is NOT fat, therefore how the hell can they stay bloody fat??? :angry:
  • ckone4me
    ckone4me Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are asking! While I want to look nice, my main goal is improving my health, living longer and making lifelong changes that will carry me on into my senior years! I am 52 and being ripped is not a priority. I am with you on getting healthy first, losing the extra weight and along the way getting toned.

Each of us have goals that vary. Reaching our goals is what is important and yes its a important journey for all of us!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - no one gets ripped by accident.

I was using "ripped" as an expression. As I was pretty "ripped" before I know it doesn't happen by accident. I am not worried about suddenly waking up with 8 pack abs. I was simply feeling out to see if there were others like me: Not training for anything, just getting healthier.

People on MFP cant usually see past the words. I understood what you were saying and yes i just want to be healthier and have less of a belly.

Thanks for this. I was feeling pretty sad about the responses I was getting. Especially the excuse to stay fat one. Makes me want to not come back. Trying not to feel attacked by a single statement. Most people who are trying to lose weight feel pretty bad about themselves anyway. Then to come to a weight loss site with questions and get responses like some of these. Geez. I can appreciate the sarcasm, but the meanness is something else. I don't know...

There is a difference between being blunt and being mean.

Someday you will thank bean for her bluntness, I promise.

I am not new to this. New to this site, that I might be leaving because of her, but not new to weight loss. And, in my opinion it was flat out mean. I am an adult and can take it, but I find it unnecessary.

No one is being mean, you are just being overly sensitive. You may want to step back and examine why you feel attacked when someone is being honest with you. You are being quick to want to give up and leave over one blunt response.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Long term, I'm in a pretty similar boat. Ripped is not really sustainable for decades if you have other goals that are simply more important. Now, this coming Christmas is a bit different, but that's a gift for a specific person at a specific time, and while she's not really into the bodybuilder physique, I know some definition will be appreciated after how I looked when she last saw me.

So my long-term maintenance plan is try to commute car-free (a.k.a. daily non-max exertion cardio, with just a couple of exciting intervals thrown in), to check my diet every so-and-so to make certain I still know what I'm eating, get back to the hiking/backpacking/skiing weekend that I really enjoy, and some regular tango (maybe salsa too) dancing with the sweetie I'm trying to build a Christmas body for. I think that will keep me fit and responsibly handsome.

Oh yeah, she's a swimmer too, so I'll need to maintain the ability to swim a couple of miles at a stretch. But I don't think that's critical to my overall fitness plan.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

I was using "ripped" as an expression. As I was pretty "ripped" before I know it doesn't happen by accident. I am not worried about suddenly waking up with 8 pack abs. I was simply feeling out to see if there were others like me: Not training for anything, just getting healthier.

People on MFP cant usually see past the words. I understood what you were saying and yes i just want to be healthier and have less of a belly.

Thanks for this. I was feeling pretty sad about the responses I was getting. Especially the excuse to stay fat one. Makes me want to not come back. Trying not to feel attacked by a single statement. Most people who are trying to lose weight feel pretty bad about themselves anyway. Then to come to a weight loss site with questions and get responses like some of these. Geez. I can appreciate the sarcasm, but the meanness is something else. I don't know...

There is a difference between being blunt and being mean.

Someday you will thank bean for her bluntness, I promise.

I am not new to this. New to this site, that I might be leaving because of her, but not new to weight loss. And, in my opinion it was flat out mean. I am an adult and can take it, but I find it unnecessary.
    Don't leave because of one person. She was rude I agree, I'm not sure what makes her an expert of reading g "between the lines" of posts by people she doesn't know. I didn't see it as an excuse to stay fat at all.
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Every forum post will attract some negativity. Don't worry about it.

I didn't read your post how other people did, what I read was that you want to get slimmer but not super defined or built. Did I get that right?

If so, I'm with you. I just want to lower bf% and maintain the muscle I already have. But I don't really want to see the muscle... If that makes sense...
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If you could get ripped by accident, the world would be a much buffer place.
    And this is why I like you :flowerforyou:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

FYI. Usually when people want to lose weight. They expect that the loss comes from FAT. In fact, I believe that most success stories on here have a reduction in body fat as part of their success. I know, crazy right? So its pretty strange when someone comes on here and says that they want to lose weight, but dont want to have a low body fat %.

Add that to the number of people struggling to get "ripped" on here and how much hard work they have put in and still are far from their goals and you have a recipe for a never ending supply of snark.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Funny that everyone seems to have read this as if the OP is worried that he's going to accidentally get ripped. I just read it as he's wondering if anyone else has similar goals? maybe I missed something :wink:
    Anyway, I wouldn't say I want to get ripped but I would LOVE some nice muscle definition, and I think it's going to take me quite a while longer to reach that goal. I don't think I'd have the discipline to get ripped (ie get relatively low body fat %), even if I wanted to.

^^^^

This *small correction SHE*

To the OP I understand where you are coming from totally. Being ex-miliary and woman we both understand what it takes to be ripped and run like a banshee (used to do a 6min mile) and knowing we don't need or want to be there anymore. We have children, husbands, jobs and what time we have to devote ourselves cannot always be filled with running mile after mile or in the gym. I want the same things you do...health, fitness and lower BF%.

As for the "blunt" comment from Bean ...the first part was helpful the 2nd part well not necessary but for some odd reason she felt she needed to say it.:huh:

Don't leave just block those you do not wish to see in the forums if you come back...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    FYI. Usually when people want to lose weight. They expect that the loss comes from FAT. In fact, I believe that most success stories on here have a reduction in body fat as part of their success. I know, crazy right? So its pretty strange when someone comes on here and says that they want to lose weight, but dont want to have a low body fat %.

Add that to the number of people struggling to get "ripped" on here and how much hard work they have put in and still are far from their goals and you have a recipe for a never ending supply of snark.

NO where in the original post does it say she doesn't want low(er) bf%....she said she didn't want to be "ripped"...I get it...I want bf% that is low without being "ripped" but more "defined"
  • J2U1N
    J2U1N Posts: 16
    Options
    [/quote]

And yet, being a veteran, you have very thin skin, which makes me wonder if she struck a nerve.

Hth

xoxo
    [/quote]

Of course she struck a nerve. Veteran or not, I recognized I have gotten "fat". That is why I came to a weight loss site for help. I just didn't think that I would be called out like that. I appreciate the constructive criticism. I will probably keep using the site. I like the calorie counting, just not the forums. I wasn't expecting this. Maybe my skin isn't thick enough.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    OP, I am one of the ones who actually read your post, and I understand what you are saying. You are doing this primarily for your health. My goals are somewhere in the middle right now. I will not have the body I had at 26 because I really don't want to put as much time and effort into it as I did then. I am trying to attain a healthy balance for where I am in life now.

My advice to you regarding the forums is just read them for occasional fun, or sometimes advice. If you post you will get a measure of healthy advice, positive and negative, and you will have people who call a complete lack of tact "tough love" or "being blunt". For support, get a good list of friends.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My goals are entirely functional. I want to be athletic in what I am physically capable of, but I do not understand or share the desire to achieve the low levels of body fat to actually see muscle definition.

The goals I have require putting the same effort into my workouts as people who want to get "ripped." I just don't need to follow the same dietary guidelines.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

^^^^

This *small correction SHE*

To the OP I understand where you are coming from totally. Being ex-miliary and woman we both understand what it takes to be ripped and run like a banshee (used to do a 6min mile) and knowing we don't need or want to be there anymore. We have children, husbands, jobs and what time we have to devote ourselves cannot always be filled with running mile after mile or in the gym. I want the same things you do...health, fitness and lower BF%.

As for the "blunt" comment from Bean ...the first part was helpful the 2nd part well not necessary but for some odd reason she felt she needed to say it.:huh:

Don't leave just block those you do not wish to see in the forums if you come back...

oops thanks :blushing:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    OP Stick around MFP is a great tool the community is very supportive but like all public forums on the net threads will be mixed with humor,BS,bluntness,facts,opinions,things you like or don't like etc

Basically use what you can and don't be overly concerned about what you don't find useful.

Goodluck.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Look there's no reason to get hurt and leave MFP because I made a comment you don't like that you say doesn't apply to you anyway. If it doesn't apply, just move on. If someone says to me "You're so tall it makes you hideous" the insult doesn't sting at all, because I know I'm not tall. (Stupid example, I know....I'm not feeling creative)

I stand by the sentiment that not wanting to get ripped is *generally* an excuse not to do the work at all. Even if my comment doesn't apply to you personally, it will apply to some others that come in to this thread looking for a kindred spirit based on the title.
  • ckone4me
    ckone4me Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OP, I am one of the ones who actually read your post, and I understand what you are saying. You are doing this primarily for your health. My goals are somewhere in the middle right now. I will not have the body I had at 26 because I really don't want to put as much time and effort into it as I did then. I am trying to attain a healthy balance for where I am in life now.

My advice to you regarding the forums is just read them for occasional fun, or sometimes advice. If you post you will get a measure of healthy advice, positive and negative, and you will have people who call a complete lack of tact "tough love" or "being blunt". For support, get a good list of friends.

.... forgot rudeness... however, I agree with you 100%.

Lesson in life... never allow other peoples opinions define how you feel, this gives them way to much power.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

NO where in the original post does it say she doesn't want low(er) bf%....she said she didn't want to be "ripped"...I get it...I want bf% that is low without being "ripped" but more "defined"

So you're talking a few BF percentage points. Good lord, I can't understand these reactions.

Honestly, these threads always bring out the personality differences between people who let the world get to them down and find "haters" in every comment, and those that laugh or shrug off the snark, dig deep (okay, you really shouldn't have to dig that deep here), and move on. Be one of the latter, OP.