March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    After a lot of mental turmoil and beating myself up over how hard I'm finding re-starting my running (screaming legs, inability to keep HR at a reasonable rate, worn out after a couple of miles) I've finally given in and decided to give the Jeff Galloway run-walk-run thing a go.
    So since my injury in December, the most I had done (time or distance-wise) was the final 30 minute run of c25k, a 5k race that was actually 4.89km according to my app, and a 4km easy run last week which took me about 32 minutes of struggle.
    This morning the training plan called for 4.8km, so I found myself a tabata timer, set it for 2 min run / 30 sec walk intervals and off I went. Did the runs at my naturally comfortable pace without worrying about forcing myself to slow down (as I'd been doing usually). The intervals seemed to be good as as soon as I started to feel puffed it beeped for a walk, and the 30 seconds were enough to catch my breath.
    Despite feeling like I was 'cheating' I actually went 5km and skipped the last walk break, and my pace was around 15 seconds per km FASTER than my last slow/easy run. Plus I don't feel anywhere neaar as beaten up, I could have carried on. Will be interesting to see how my legs feel tomorrow.
    So, in conclusion, I might force myself to ignore the 'cheating' feeling and give this a go. If it allows me to run without everything hurting and still at a pace I can accept it could well be the way for me to go!

March goal: 40km Done: 36.2km.

Who hoo! Ye haw! (And the like). Interval running isn’t cheating. I run intervals, er ran. Keep at it!

ETA @juliet3455 I don’t know how I forgot about @7lenny7 , he does have an impressive shoe collection. @7lenny7 fav trail shoe?
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @Elise4247 I used to run in Mizuno’s but they got too expensive. The soles wear out WAY too fast and the last time I tried to order shoes from their website I had a nightmare customer service experience. I tried to go back to New Balence but I think I kind-of hate their new Fresh Foam line... These were all road running shoes.

I bought a pair of $30 Saucony trail shoes at Academy a few months ago but they feel too wide. That’s what I wore today. They are now trashed. Sigh.... My feet are so persnickety!

@PastorVincent Thanks for the hydration bladder discount code! The ones I have been looking at are so expensive. I bought a $26 one on Amazon and used it today. The hydration thingy AND shoes are terrible now... 🙄

Yeah, I was shocked at how well price the Wunjo's were. My wife and I both use the X5 Ultra. I think @MobyCarp uses the X1 or something. I forget now.

For trail shoes, I like my Altra Lone Peak 3.5 but they are NOT cheap.

@PastorVincent Is there room in the side zipper pocket of your Wunjo for a smartphone? Mine measures 6.2" x 3.2" and need to make sure that will fit.

I just bought a hydration backpack from REI yesterday but that was $100. The Wunjo's cheaper - and they're having a Spring Sale for 25% off! If it fits my phone, I think it'll be great for hiking and longer runs. I just hope it's not uncomfortable around my chest.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    @Elise4247 I used to run in Mizuno’s but they got too expensive. The soles wear out WAY too fast and the last time I tried to order shoes from their website I had a nightmare customer service experience. I tried to go back to New Balence but I think I kind-of hate their new Fresh Foam line... These were all road running shoes.

I bought a pair of $30 Saucony trail shoes at Academy a few months ago but they feel too wide. That’s what I wore today. They are now trashed. Sigh.... My feet are so persnickety!

@PastorVincent Thanks for the hydration bladder discount code! The ones I have been looking at are so expensive. I bought a $26 one on Amazon and used it today. The hydration thingy AND shoes are terrible now... 🙄

Yeah, I was shocked at how well price the Wunjo's were. My wife and I both use the X5 Ultra. I think @MobyCarp uses the X1 or something. I forget now.

For trail shoes, I like my Altra Lone Peak 3.5 but they are NOT cheap.

@PastorVincent Is there room in the side zipper pocket of your Wunjo for a smartphone? Mine measures 6.2" x 3.2" and need to make sure that will fit.

I just bought a hydration backpack from REI yesterday but that was $100. The Wunjo's cheaper - and they're having a Spring Sale for 25% off! If it fits my phone, I think it'll be great for hiking and longer runs. I just hope it's not uncomfortable around my chest.

So if you watch in my video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxgX_7z9lKA

You will see two pockets that I stick water bottles in. Sometimes I put my iPhone 7+ (in a LifeProof case, so a bit bigger than most phones) in of those and have run 20 miles with it there without any problems. My iPhone 7+ ALMOST fits in the side pockets (there is one on each side) but it would be a PITB to get in and out. The front pocket works great for that.

But it also has huge pockets in the back that you can use for shirts, jackets, and so on. Any phone would obviously fit in there if you did not need direct access to it while you run.

My phone in case is about 6.75 x 3.5 roughly. So a bit bigger than yours.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get under an hour. Got close, but not quite. 1:01.28. Shaved 1 min 45 sec off my time from last month for a new PR.

WEll done!

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @martaindale Way to get that PR on your 10K! Yes, Houston knows how to organize a race, I have always been impressed how well the marathon is run every year.

@eleanorhawkins really good that you are doing run/walk intervals. The Galloway method had been proven time after time to increase pace and lengthen distance. Keep it up and I bet you will start wondering how far it can take you.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @martaindale Well done!!!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So if you watch in my video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxgX_7z9lKA

You will see two pockets that I stick water bottles in. Sometimes I put my iPhone 7+ (in a LifeProof case, so a bit bigger than most phones) in of those and have run 20 miles with it there without any problems. My iPhone 7+ ALMOST fits in the side pockets (there is one on each side) but it would be a PITB to get in and out. The front pocket works great for that.

But it also has huge pockets in the back that you can use for shirts, jackets, and so on. Any phone would obviously fit in there if you did not need direct access to it while you run.

My phone in case is about 6.75 x 3.5 roughly. So a bit bigger than yours.

Excellent options. Thank you!