March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I know a bunch of y'all are big into REI, so sharing this...
    Member Rewards: 20% Off Any 1 Item Online or In-Store for Members. Use code MEMPERK2019

I am not a member so does not help me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless yay! Another trail runner! For trail shoes, I think so far Mizunos are my favorite . You can see they are fairly inexpensive. I also have some others around here... @shanaber has them too.. more of a minimal drop shoe. What brand do you usually wear? Do they have a trail shoe? What kind of shoes are you looking for? @juliet3455 is a trail runner too with good shoe experience.

I haven’t heard a bad review in any hydration pack. I like orange mud, Nathan’s are good, @PastorVincent has one he loves,... just don’t buy a cheap one and I think you are good there.
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    1st - v.easy 5km (43 mins)
    4th - v.easy 5km (42 mins)
    8th - v.easy 5km
    11th - easy 5km (37 mins)
    16th - easy 5km (36 mins)
    18th - 5k (38 mins hard work)
    22nd - 5k (36 mins) - knee pain for first 2k but then subsided. Need to do some more leg strengthening exercises.

Total 35 km
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Things I have learned from trail running Fridays:

1) Its harder and I am a really slow trail runner.
    2) running down hills on trails is terrifying!!!
    3) I need to bring a lot more water. I think I need a bladder running thingy?
    4) The trail today cut the soles of my running shoes up. They are trashed. It was nothing but cacti and jagged limestone. I think I need trail shoes if I am going to keep doing this Friday trail run stuff.

Group question: Best trail shoe brands? Best hydration bladder thingys?

Everyone is slower on trail, but trail is better on your body. :)

As for the best hydration bladder - buy far the best I have found is the Wunjo line, which is really cheap. Their most expensive model is only $60 and it comes with the bladder. PLUS we have @JessicaMcb 's discount code (she is sponsored by them)

Check them out:
    https://wunjosports.com
    discount code: WUNJOWOMAN18
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    No run today. Tomorrow I have 26 miles planned, then 10 or so more on Sunday but have to watch the weather and see what happens. Today was miserable and I was really glad I was not running in it. Sleet, freezing rain, well below freezing, and wind. I know someone like @7lenny7 might run it, and if I was only running for an hour, I might have attempted it, but 26? No thanks.

Hopefully, the weather is good tomorrow. I have not yet looked at the weather prediction. It is probably wrong so can not plan based on it anyways. :smiley:
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @Elise4247 I used to run in Mizuno’s but they got too expensive. The soles wear out WAY too fast and the last time I tried to order shoes from their website I had a nightmare customer service experience. I tried to go back to New Balence but I think I kind-of hate their new Fresh Foam line... These were all road running shoes.

I bought a pair of $30 Saucony trail shoes at Academy a few months ago but they feel too wide. That’s what I wore today. They are now trashed. Sigh.... My feet are so persnickety!

@PastorVincent Thanks for the hydration bladder discount code! The ones I have been looking at are so expensive. I bought a $26 one on Amazon and used it today. The hydration thingy AND shoes are terrible now... 🙄
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    03/01/19 :::: 2.9 :::: 2.9
    03/02/19 :::: 5.5 :::: 8.4
    03/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 8.4
    03/04/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 11.4
    03/05/19 :::: 2.0 :::: 13.5
    03/06/19 :::: 3.3 :::: 16.8
    03/07/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 16.8
    03/08/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 19.9
    03/09/19 :::: 4.1 :::: 24.0
    03/10/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 24.0
    03/11/19 :::: 4.3 :::: 28.3
    03/12/19 :::: 2.3 :::: 30.6
    03/13/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 33.6
    03/14/19 :::: 3.9 :::: 37.5
    03/15/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 40.6
    03/16/19 :::: 5.0 :::: 45.6
    03/17/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 48.7
    03/18/19 :::: 3.5 :::: 52.1
    03/19/19 :::: 2.5 :::: 54.7
    03/20/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 57.9
    03/21/19 :::: 3.8 :::: 61.6
    03/22/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 64.7

The snow in the forecast has not yet materialized but it's been cold and rainy all day. Not that I was outside much. Treadmill run this morning before circuit training - I meant to get there super early and only made it early enough to do 3 miles. But those 3 miles felt better than treadmill miles I've done recently so I felt positive about that. Still way slower than outside though.

Circuit training was another good session working on lots of upper arms - particularly pulling. While I managed 0 unassisted pull-ups, I did get over 24 using a light resistance band. I also did dead hangs and scap-ups. I wore my gloves this time and I think I'm fully convinced my plan to just "toughen up" did not work and it's much nicer to not tear my hands up every time. I think my pull-up plan is back on track - maybe a little more realistically this time and without a definite deadline (except maybe another Spartan race at the end of April, which I'm NOT committed to yet).

I think it might be a rare non-running Saturday tomorrow, or at the most a short one. The weather sounds crappy and I have a billion things to do so will swap for Sunday as my long(er) run. I am going to an indoor rock climbing expo class tomorrow though so I'm really excited to try that.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Elise4247 I used to run in Mizuno’s but they got too expensive. The soles wear out WAY too fast and the last time I tried to order shoes from their website I had a nightmare customer service experience. I tried to go back to New Balence but I think I kind-of hate their new Fresh Foam line... These were all road running shoes.

I bought a pair of $30 Saucony trail shoes at Academy a few months ago but they feel too wide. That’s what I wore today. They are now trashed. Sigh.... My feet are so persnickety!

@PastorVincent Thanks for the hydration bladder discount code! The ones I have been looking at are so expensive. I bought a $26 one on Amazon and used it today. The hydration thingy AND shoes are terrible now... 🙄

Yeah, I was shocked at how well price the Wunjo's were. My wife and I both use the X5 Ultra. I think @MobyCarp uses the X1 or something. I forget now.

For trail shoes, I like my Altra Lone Peak 3.5 but they are NOT cheap.
  • Elise4270
    Options

@ PastorVincent Thanks for the hydration bladder discount code! The ones I have been looking at are so expensive. I bought a $26 one on Amazon and used it today. The hydration thingy AND shoes are terrible now... 🙄

Aw that’s too bad. We usually use a shoe company, roadrunner sports for shoes. They have great customer service. We do have the membership and I think even with out it they have a great return policy-can’t beat that if your shopping online. Who was in the saloman’s? Was it @rheddmobile or @katharmonic ?

Brooks is okay, they have a few trail shoes. I like the ravena and the cascadia was ok. Topo is the shoe I was trying to remember, I like them. Avoid the On clouds. They say trail, but maybe only if it’s dirt. I disliked how rocks and sticks get stuck in the pods. Annoying.

I have a few Merrill ‘s. They are alright- find I can do with a bit more cushion, but I really liked them- very light. I tried Scott -felt promising but rubbed hot spots. Let us know what you go with! Ooo shoes!
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@ PastorVincent Thanks for the hydration bladder discount code! The ones I have been looking at are so expensive. I bought a $26 one on Amazon and used it today. The hydration thingy AND shoes are terrible now... 🙄

Aw that’s too bad. We usually use a shoe company, roadrunner sports for shoes. They have great customer service. We do have the membership and I think even with out it they have a great return policy-can’t beat that if your shopping online. Who was in the saloman’s? Was it @rheddmobile or @katharmonic ?

Brooks is okay, they have a few trail shoes. I like the ravena and the cascadia was ok. Topo is the shoe I was trying to remember, I like them. Avoid the On clouds. They say trail, but maybe only if it’s dirt. I disliked how rocks and sticks get stuck in the pods. Annoying.

I have a few Merrill ‘s. They are alright- find I can do with a bit more cushion, but I really liked them- very light. I tried Scott -felt promising but rubbed hot spots. Let us know what you go with! Ooo shoes!

@amymoreorless and @elise4270 Thanks for the trail shoes conversation! I also want to try out some trail running shoes, and this gives me some good directions.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Who was in the saloman’s? Was it @rheddmobile or @katharmonic ?
    @amymoreorless and @elise4270
    I'm not a trail runner (yet) but I just got Salomon Speedcross4 before my Spartan race. I have only worn them 4 or 5 times now and most of that hiking in the snow rather than running, but I really like them so far. I'm really interested in trying them for more trail running and hiking this spring and summer. The traction seems fantastic. There was discussion in this thread previously that they are a narrow shoe and they definitely have a narrower toe box than my Brooks or Saucony shoes but again, so far so good for me.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    simcon1 wrote: »

@amymoreorless and @elise4270 Thanks for the trail shoes conversation! I also want to try out some trail running shoes, and this gives me some good directions.

Let us know what you get and how you like them. I have that 40$ off UA if I spend 100. I thought about some shoes. No idea if they have trail shoes...

Wonder if I buy shoes, I can run? (Build it and they will come? Wear them and you can run? No?) I tried.

Thanks again @katharmonic ! I like thought of a the slightly narrower toe box.
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Meant to do a longer run today but I was feeling real lazy 🤷‍♀️
    March running
    3/6: 3.1 miles
    3/8: 3.1 miles
    3/10: 3.8 miles
    3/11: 1 mile
    3/12: 1 mile
    3/13: 1 mile
    3/14: 2.4 miles