March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Like @quilteryoyo I am behind and catching up on posts... I have read most, there are so many great runs happening. Too many to comment on individually though. I did see a few other things to comment on...

@pastorvincent's LG Snowwhite Ice Cream Keurig... yuck. Beyond @HonuNui's comment on salmonella, I cannot imagine that they have much of any real ice cream ingredients and while I don't eat much ice cream I will save my calories for Ben and Jerry's or Tillamook (or some of @HonuNui's homemade strawberry!)!
    @quilteryoyo - I am so glad you got a good diagnosis, know what is really going on and are cleared to run! I also agree with the advice on being educated (even on Google) with good information from a reputable site. I also like the Mayo Clinic site and AHA.
    @Sparx_81 - the best cough remedy I have ever had was from my MIL when I had repeated bouts with bronchitis and could not sleep. She would make me tea with honey, lemon and a good shot of whiskey. I was never sure if it really did anything for my cough but it typically knocked me out enough that I could sleep through the night.
    @MegaMooseEsq - Happy Belated Birthday!! Hope you had a wonderful day! Looking forward to hearing how your 5k race went!
    @samthepanda - hang in there! You have to take each day as it comes and just do the best you can for that day! Some will be better than others and some won't!
    @amymoreorless - I have the Topo MT-2 trail shoes and love them. Altra has quite a few different ones too but I have not tried their trail shoes. If you have an REI near you they have lots of trail shoes, great customer service and an awesome return policy. Also as @pastorvincent posted - great member only sales.
    @7lenny7 - glad you are back in business, snot-rockets not withstanding! I had another friend post a 'Snot-Rocket' run on strava and I had to laugh when I saw it :) That cold really seems to be going around!
    @eleanorhawkins - I am using the Jeff Galloway method in training for my HM as well. Today I ran 5mins and walked 2mins. I am slow with still recovering but so far I like it too. He has documented what you experienced with faster times as not unusual with his method. I will say that while his book (that I commented on earlier) has some good information, I get tired of the self-promoting of all his other books and products (his own and those he is promoting). There are too many instances where he is saying you should do something a certain way to improve form for example, but instead of explaining he just refers to his other books which of course you would have to buy.
    @polskagirl01 - love the cheeses (yes please!) and the trail by the lake is beautiful! Was that part of the trail race course?
    @martaindale - Congratulations on your PR!

Now to update my running totals... I am well over my March goal so will be increasing it a bit with a week still to go.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, @shanaber a luxury race experience! Sounds awesome! I looked it up and see they have a mimosa bar. I would be up for that. I'm running a women's half marathon in Niagara Falls in June and they have some cool stuff but no mimosa bar.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @shanaber @quilteryoyo ok I will admit I'm pathetically happy that I'm not the only one 'jeffing', makes me feel less of a cheater lol!
    I'm very satisfied with the results of yesterday's experiment and will be continuing. Not only did I do 5km yesterday (still my longest distance/time post-injury), it was also a day when I did all the housework and went for a walk in the afternoon, resulting in over 20,000 steps for the day. However, the legs feel fine today, none of the heavy/achy feeling that was depressing me last week. In fact, rather than dreading my next run I'm looking forward to it and thinking of going tomorrow instead of waiting til Tuesday!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,095 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Glad you had a PB, even if you didn't feel like you had a good race. Looking forward to seeing how fast you can go on fresh legs.

@eleanorhawkins YES!!! Glad you are finding this method works for you. Looking forward to your next run rather than dreading it is HUGE!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Ran a 10k race this morning. Legs were okay considering the miles/elevation I've been doing in the past few weeks. Achilles was talking to me quite seriously for much of it - clearly pushing it to its limits - and while I achieved my goal of going under 50 minutes I didn't feel I raced well. I cocked things up royally by going out too fast – it's been a while since I've done a shorter road event (November 2017 actually), so I'm definitely out of practise. Came home and entered my result into my spreadsheet and found I actually PB'd. Now makes me wonder how fast I can actually run a 10k on fresh legs. Fortunately, I am already entered a 10k series, which has its first event in June, so I won't have to wait long to find out! Got shiny red bling.

Well done!!!