March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - Wow that is scary! So glad it turned out ok and everyone is ok!
    @MegaMooseEsq - Congratulations on your PR! I agree on liking the after race beer or whatever in theory. I always think it will be fun until after the race and then not so much especially with the crowds.
    I ran Beat the Blerch with my daughter a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun before and after and fun support along the way. Oh and of course cake, pbj sandwiches post race and donut eating competitions for great prizes (Beat the Blerch sweats!). The only issue we had was that the course was advertised as a gravel trail and a lot of it was really river stone. I had on road shoes and should have worn trail shoes instead. It was really hard on our feet and knees. If you can, try and get over and check out the course the day or so before so you can decide on your shoes.
    @avidkeo - I am also finding the recovery to be much quicker with the Galloway method.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,104 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Went from the elephant last Thursday to the cape buffalo yesterday to the rhinoceros today. Need to find some consistency. Could someone PLEASE channel me a cheetah, or at least a gazelle?
    Sorry, but all I can channel right now is a tortoise. Don't think you want that. :wink:

@MegaMooseEsq Great job on the PR!!!

@PastorVincent That's some scary stuff. Sounds like that was a God moment. Smoke from plastic can be so toxic too! Glad you are all okay!!!

@kgirlhart The only dog I have ever been bitten by was a Dachshund. Those little dogs are vicious! Glad you were safe from both the big ones and the little ones. Sounds like you have a really good run. I love it when that happens!

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I'm so glad you woke - house fires are one of my biggest fears. A good reminder to check the smoke alarms!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - House fires are indeed dang scary! So glad it turned out ok.

@MegaMooseEsq - Congratulations on your PR!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @ All :
    We do have smoke detectors, and as soon as I opened the bedroom door and the smoke poured out into the hall it went off. :) Never thought about having one in the bedroom before.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Went from the elephant last Thursday to the cape buffalo yesterday to the rhinoceros today. Need to find some consistency. Could someone PLEASE channel me a cheetah, or at least a gazelle?
    Sorry, but all I can channel right now is a tortoise. Don't think you want that. :wink:

@MegaMooseEsq Great job on the PR!!!

@PastorVincent That's some scary stuff. Sounds like that was a God moment. Smoke from plastic can be so toxic too! Glad you are all okay!!!

@kgirlhart The only dog I have ever been bitten by was a Dachshund. Those little dogs are vicious! Glad you were safe from both the big ones and the little ones. Sounds like you have a really good run. I love it when that happens!

If it's a speedy tortoise...
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @simcon1 I got the goretex ones as well - they worked really well in the snow at the Spartan race and my feet stayed dry. Hope you enjoy your new shoes!

@ContraryMaryMary congrats on a 10k personal best! You'll crush the next one on rested legs!

@MegaMooseEsq great job on your 5k PR! Nice time and great report. I would take cornflake-crusted french toast and rum punch post-race as well!

@PastorVincent, congrats on your 26 mile run and, so scary about your house fire. So glad you are all ok.

@kgirlhart glad you survived the dogs unscathed and had a great run! I also wish there were more 10ks around.
    The rock climbing really was fun and once I was up there I didn't think it was too scary. The rope made it feel really secure. We even practiced a couple of "falls" and even in our hands as beginners it felt safe, and the coming down is really fun.

@Elise4270 - looks like you've been getting around more. Take it easy though!

Sorry if I missed any racers or news - great job to all. Courage and fortitude for the week ahead!

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Yay! Rock climbing!! I love it so much. I'm so happy to see other people try it out!

@ContraryMaryMary Congrats on the PR!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I'm glad to hear that the worst of it ended up being a smoked filled room and the loss of a humidifier. Our local code requires smoke detectors in every sleeping area and on every level of the house, preferably all tied together so that if one goes off, they all go off, but that's tough to do unless it's new construction. Great job on the solo marathon! Some great vertical gain with it too. I'm envious of that. And that day of sleet, freezing rain, well below freezing and wind --- that describes my least favorite weather to run in. I'm not sure I'd run in in either, certainly not for 26+ unless it was race day. Then, sure.

@amymoreorless there are great brands of trail shoes but there is no "best". Just like road shoes, what's best for one runner may not be best for another runner. Most road shoe makers also sell trail shoes so if you have a preferred road shoe, see what that manufacturer offers for the trail. Next I'd look for a local running store which caters to, or has good experience with trail running and get their input. I've never run on trail so sharp it cut up shoe soles so I can't help with that.

My favorite trail shoes are Altra Lone Peaks but I just got a pair of Altra Superiors which I'm eager to try out. These are less cushioned than the LP's. Altra are zero drop which may take some getting used to if you've not run in zero drops before. Other brands I see often on other trail runners are Salomon, Saucony Peragrines, Hoka One One, Brooks, Nike, Merrell and Inov8. All quality brands, you just need to go through the process to figure out what works best for you. Like @juliet3455 says, shoe store return policy is very important when trying a new model. For manufacturer's defects though, usually the manufacturer will make it right. I've had Altras with 250 miles on them and ASICS with 275 miles on them both fail and get replaced with a brand new pair by the manufacturer. I'm honest with the miles I have on them and tell them I understand if they're out of warranty but in neither case was it an issue.

As far as hydration packs I think that's also going to be a personal preference because the comfort of fit is so important. I love my Ultimate Direction Scott Jurek pack but it would be silly for me to tell you it would work great for you because our bodies and preferences are so different. I only use it for longer runs where I need the water volume and other storage. Otherwise I find my 24oz bottle with a handheld grip and storage compartment works well for runs of 15 miles or less.

The ability to try on a vest and run around in it with weight is very important to me because at 6' 5", not all XL packs are going to fit me well. I'd be very leery of buying a pack I couldn't try on first. If I was so tempted, I'd have to find a place with low shipping fees and a good return policy like REI. You may not find it sucks until your halfway into your run and you'll want to be able to return it if that happens. I'd be interested in the Wunjo because I like the price but there's no where around here where I can try one on. @PastorVincent you've said its the best you've found by far...what else have you tried to compare it to?

@Elise4270 I didn't realize Mizuno made trail shoes. The On Cloudventure was my favorite trail shoe for over a year until I started wearing Altras. I never had a problem with anything getting stuck in the pods. And yes, I do have quite a collection of shoes. 10 pair in rotation (6 trail, 4 paved) and 8 pair in reserve (4 trail, 4 paved). I do have two pair for paved running and one for trail running which are very close to retirement though.

@polskagirl01 that path by the water looks beautiful but I'd be afraid I'd trip because I'd be looking around at everything, not looking at those raised and missing blocks! Otherwise that's great training for rocky, rooty trail.

Congrats to the weekend racers! @martaindale with the 10k PR, @ContraryMaryMary with a 10K PB, @MegaMooseEsq with a 5K PR and a great report!

@rheddmobile I would have loved to hear the rest of the flower stomping story to find out the litter girls logic.

@shanaber it's so good to hear that you're getting some good runs in! Congrats on getting in that race!

@Tramboman have you been getting enough sleep? When I get several consecutive runs which turn into slogs I can usually trace it back to either overtraining or undersleeping.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman and @quilteryoyo - I have seen some pretty fast tortoises especially when they are hungry!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I'm glad to hear that the worst of it ended up being a smoked filled room and the loss of a humidifier. Our local code requires smoke detectors in every sleeping area and on every level of the house, preferably all tied together so that if one goes off, they all go off, but that's tough to do unless it's new construction. Great job on the solo marathon! Some great vertical gain with it too. I'm envious of that. And that day of sleet, freezing rain, well below freezing and wind --- that describes my least favorite weather to run in. I'm not sure I'd run in in either, certainly not for 26+ unless it was race day. Then, sure.

Thanks! There was one spot with greater than 25% grade! heh. That was not exactly run at race pace LOL

I used to have that same opinion about race day, but I hold to that less now. I started this running journey to reclaim my health, and for the most part, I have accomplished that. Well as much as can be reclaimed. I am WAY better off than the day I started at least.

Seems to me that running races "in any weather" runs contrary to the new goal of maintaining health. So for me, as a runner that is not in any of the competitive brackets, will likely never come close to a BQ, I have made the decision that weather like described would prevent me from showing up to a race. I mean I will race in "bad weather" as in rain, cold, and so on, I am just putting the cut off more towards favoring the goal of staying healthy instead of competing.

I am not saying this as a judgment on you or anyone else that runs in all weather. Your goals are simply different than mine. Different lines, different calls, different goals. It is all good :)

My favorite trail shoes are Altra Lone Peaks but I just got a pair of Altra Superiors which I'm eager to try out. These are less cushioned than the LP's. Altra are zero drop which may take some getting used to if you've not run in zero drops before.

I ran my 26 miles on Saturday - which was mixed terrain between good roads, horrible roads, and trail, in the Altra Lone Peak 3.5. A great shoe, IMO. Was very much glad to have it when I hit deep slick mud that was covered by freshly fallen leaves. Had no idea it was there so was not ready for the lack of grip. Had I been in road shoes, probably would have fallen. In the Altras, I was fine. Just had to plan my next stride a bit better. :)
    As far as hydration packs I think that's also going to be a personal preference because the comfort of fit is so important. ... I'd be interested in the Wunjo because I like the price but there's no where around here where I can try one on. @PastorVincent you've said its the best you've found by far...what else have you tried to compare it to?

Excellent point. I can not say which ones I have tried other than camel pack because I have only tried them in stores, not on the run. My camel pack sucked on the run. It is in a closet somewhere There were THREE reasons I bought the Wunjo despite it being untried:

1) @JessicaMcB recommended them
    2) @MobyCarp recommended them
    3) Price point

Since buying it I have found it to be the perfect combination of lightweight and still carry stuff. It does not chafe me at all, and my wife now has one that she runs in all the time and she loves it too.

We did upgrade and buy insulated straws for them recently.

Since owning one I have found the company to be very friendly and easy to work with.