March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Actually, I did not recommend the Wunjo. I was considering trying a water pack of some kind until early 2016, when I learned that Boston does not allow them. If I couldn't use the pack in my longest, most important race of the year, I didn't see the point in buying one and learning to run in it. I stuck with my familiar hydration belt, and have had a couple of different ones since then. This year, I see that the NYC Marathon doesn't allow back packs either.

I was going to say I'm a belt runner, but that sounds too much like a smuggler in a space opera you might write.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    You remember when I brought up the Sandlot Marathon a couple of months ago? 384 (and a half) laps around a baseball field? It happened last Saturday and the local news did a piece on it. I'm proud to say I know several people in the video, both race organizers and race participants. I'm hoping I get to do this next year.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/land-of-10000-stories/marathon-on-a-baseball-diamond-has-one-rule-turn-left/89-ff89beeb-8b0d-40a6-91ab-7b179d119b54

I genuinely can’t decide whether that story makes me feel more impressed or dizzy, but either way, it does look like fun.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Actually, I did not recommend the Wunjo. I was considering trying a water pack of some kind until early 2016, when I learned that Boston does not allow them. If I couldn't use the pack in my longest, most important race of the year, I didn't see the point in buying one and learning to run in it. I stuck with my familiar hydration belt, and have had a couple of different ones since then. This year, I see that the NYC Marathon doesn't allow back packs either.

I was going to say I'm a belt runner, but that sounds too much like a smuggler in a space opera you might write.

You did not? Huh. I was sure you had the smaller Wunjo... or wait, was that @midwesterner ?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,104 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 That lady is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing her story. Sounds like it made for a great last 9 miles of running.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I didn't realize Mizuno made trail shoes. The On Cloudventure was my favorite trail shoe for over a year until I started wearing Altras. I never had a problem with anything getting stuck in the pods. And yes, I do have quite a collection of shoes. 10 pair in rotation (6 trail, 4 paved) and 8 pair in reserve (4 trail, 4 paved). I do have two pair for paved running and one for trail running which are very close to retirement though.

I like the OC’s. My trail running surfaces are chipped grave, I can’t find good ol’ dirt trails here. I still wear them (now exclusively). I think these shoes would be great if I had a real trail surface to run... or any surface to run and they are my go -to road shoe. My dh likes them too, I think he has 3 pair for road. Thanks for the added information. I’m sure @amymoreorless enjoys the balance of information, I know I do!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 You may be right on the mark about sleep. It's one of the few things I do really well, but I find it very difficult to get quality sleep while fighting a head cold.

3-1 Rest
    3-2 10.5k easy
    3-3 11k slow
    3-4 10.5k recovery
    3-5 Rest
    3-6 7k slow
    3-7 10.5k easy
    3-8 Rest
    3-9 11k easy
    3-10 7k recovery
    3-11 8.5k slow
    3-12 Rest
    3-13 7k slow
    3-14 7k easy
    3-15 Rest
    3-16 7k easy
    3-17 11k slow
    3-18 7k recovery
    3-19 Rest
    3-20 7k easy
    3-21 7k slow
    3-22 Rest day
    3-23 7k easy
    3-24 8k slow
    3-25 7k recovery

March Total: 151k
    March Goal: 175k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Almost a repeat of yesterday: cloudy, cool (35 degrees F), but a nasty little breeze from the northeast. Looks like I'll make goal for the month unless something untoward happens. Team Five for Nineteen got a brand new mileage bib!!!!!

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K (Registered)
    6-1 Freedom 5K (Will be off the schedule due to another commitment)
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I have only been bit by a dog twice. Once was a chihuahua and once was a little terrier/chihuahua mix. The big dogs seems scarier, but I think you are more likely to get bit by the little ones.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    did 20mi yesterday.

first, i had to stop by target for fuel. i like the gatorade energy chews so i bought those. i thought about buying the honey stinger chews but they were a dollar more. the marathon on the 6th will use stinger but i might buy the gatorade ones. less gastric distress. nuun was on sale so i bought that too as they will have that on the race. i also ended up buying two body glides as i felt a few points that might have chafed. i ended up putting it in my pack in case i needed it along the way.
    which brings up a question. on fb someone said they ran with their muscle rub with them on their marathon. i never even thought about it. does anyone else do it? is there anything else you bring?

I had to look up what muscle rub is. I've never used it or heard of it before. In my opinion you should never use any product which masks pain while you're doing the activity which causes pain. That pain just might be a signal that you're about to cause serious damage and I wouldn't want to miss that signal. I know some runners take Ibuprofen preemptively before a long run or race...no way.

For a marathon I'd carry a small container of anti-chafe lube. You couldn't do that with Body Glide, but you could get something like Vaniply or Vaseline and carry it in a small pill jar like this one from the Container Store. It would be very light and worth its weight in cold if you needed it.

hmm, good point.

the glide i have is small and travel sized. it fits in both my trailbelt and my pack.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 great job on your 20 mile run! I too use the Gatorade energy chews. Those are the only thing I have found that doesn't give me any gastric issues. I actually end up sucking on them for several miles just to keep my throat from getting dry.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Those of you with hydration packs - what is the shortest run you would use it on? Also if you run with your dog (@mbaker566, @7lenny7) is there a way to squirt water out for your pup?

Right now where we run water fountains are never too far away but I want to get out into some of the trails I have found and doubt there is any water available. I am signed up to take Hobbes for an evening hike at a nearby canyon park that I know has no water available and we are required to bring water with us. I planned to just take a hydro flask but wouldn't do that for a run because of the size and weight.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Those of you with hydration packs - what is the shortest run you would use it on? Also if you run with your dog (@mbaker566, @7lenny7) is there a way to squirt water out for your pup?

Right now where we run water fountains are never too far away but I want to get out into some of the trails I have found and doubt there is any water available. I am signed up to take Hobbes for an evening hike at a nearby canyon park that I know has no water available and we are required to bring water with us. I planned to just take a hydro flask but wouldn't do that for a run because of the size and weight.

Way highly depends on the weather. Winter, with cold temps and low humidity I can run for 90 mins with no water... summer with hotter temps and high humidity and I would not make it 30. My hydration pack holds 1500ml, or about double what my belt holds. So I would make the decision based on how much water I needed for the given conditions.

My wife wears hers all the time so she can be used to it when summer hits.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

i use the pack anything over 16. trailbelt otherwise unless it's hot
    so when i can use the trailbelt, i have this bottle. it has a trough so we can share the water and not the germs.
    if it were a hot day and less 16 miles and i used the pack, i'd use a regular water bottle(it has a pocket for another bottle) and use a collapsible bowl

speed demon doesn't do more than 16 as of now
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @Shanaber I don't have the hydration pack yet but expect to use mine for anything longer than 30-45 minutes or so, especially as it warms up. So far, we've just been carrying a regular backpack with water bottles and collapsible bowls like the one @mbaker566 linked.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Funny you should ask...

In my UD pack I use two 20 oz soft flasks with bite valves in the breast pockets. Just last Saturday I found a great way to water him with it. I get on one knee, and leaving the bottle in the front pocket, I tilt the valve forward, pinch it, and squeeze the bottle itself with my forearm, which pushes a double stream of water forward. Kody leans forward and starts lapping it up. It comes out strong enough that he doesn't have to lick the bottle.

I say funny, because I discovered this method while trying to quickly water Kody when our group had stopped. In a moment of no thought filter I blurted out, "Geez, I feel like I'm breast feeding him". The women in the group agreed and laughed.

I agree with @PastorVincent in that when to use a hydration vest is highly variable for the reason he mentions. You'll use it on shorter runs than he would because you're carrying water for two. Saturday was the first time I used the vest with Kody and I liked the technique enough that I'll use it more often on shorter runs with him, maybe 8 miles or more.

During that race in KC I did bring along a collapsible bowl similar to the one @mbaker566 has but I think it wasted more water that way than I do breast feeding him because it's easier to give him just what he wants when squirting it.

One consideration for wearing hydration vests is that when you first get one, use it on short runs first, even though you won't need the capacity. Load it up like you would just for a long run or long race and see how it goes. Where there any hot spots? Any chafing? I'd much rather find that out on a short run than a long run. Also, the more you use it, the quicker you'll find out how you like to arrange everything, such as water bottles, gels, bacon, extra jacket, etc. Things you need during the run should be easily accessed. Things you may not need, like a spare jacket can be put in less convenient locations like the back pockets. On this last run I was using soft flasks with extended straws so I wouldn't have to take them out of the breast pockets. I had the valve pointed towards me and after 3 miles the tap-tap-taping of the valve on my collarbone drove me nuts. I finally stopped and turned them away, problem solved and still easy to drink from.

Even though I have a roomy hydration vest I still bring along a running belt to hold my phone, because that's where I'm used to having it, and it gives me additional easy storage for gloves, poop bags, buffs, etc.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Even though I have a roomy hydration vest I still bring along a running belt to hold my phone, because that's where I'm used to having it, and it gives me additional easy storage for gloves, poop bags, buffs, etc.

Just wondering, which belt do you use?