March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    @Sparx_81 I tend to go with how I'm feeling, however the last time I did that (10k at the tail end of a cold), I got ill again quite quickly. Could have been coincidence but I've not risked it since!

04Mar - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    07Mar - 1.6 miles (treadmill)
    08Mar - 2 miles (treadmill)
    11Mar - 2 miles (treadmill)

Total so far: 7.4 miles of 40.

The weather here has been quite windy so decided to stay on the sofa yesterday and after leaving the house to go to the gym/work in similar conditions I'm glad I did - the walk to the gym ended up being a work out in itself!
    However I've got 2 days off at the end of this week giving me a 4 day weekend so my aim is to get outside for a longish run (by my standard) at least twice!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @amirahdaboss if a runner falls on the trail and no one sees did it really happen
    Only if they post it to social media...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    3/1 27.34 miles, 305 days on the run
    3/2 37.59 miles
    3/3 18.19 miles, crazy laps
    3/4 19.57 miles
    3/5 19.34 miles
    3/6 19.23 miles, 310 days on the run
    3/7 19.56 miles
    3/8 19.49 miles
    3/9 37.49 miles
    3/10 14.58 miles
    3/11 20.46 miles, 315 days on the run

Sorry, I can't help but stare. wow.

@AlphaHowls have you ever considered registering for The Last Annual Vol State Road Race? You're a natural and I believe it's in your neck of the woods. It's on my bucket list, that's for sure. I may have mentioned it before, I can't recall.

@workaholic_nurse snow is one of the reasons I moved back to Minnesota from Kansas City. I missed it too much. The only thing I hate about snow is that it has to melt, which it's finally starting to do now and I'll be dealing with slushy runs or the slick ice from the melt>refreeze cycle.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Rest day today. When I did my cone touches and walking lunges this morning, my quads informed me that I worked them pretty hard on the hills over the weekend. They're not injured, but it's good that today is a rest day.

Monthly questions . . .

Most embarrassing fall: 2016 Rochester Marathon. I got to a mile from the finish (yes, 25.2 miles in), walking from mile 24 or so because of calf cramps, when both calves cramped up at the same time and I went face down onto the sidewalk. I managed to control it to the extent of landing on my hands and going down gently, but it was really embarrassing to cross the finish line on a golf cart. Finishing the Rochester Marathon is on my bucket list, but not this year. Probably not 2020, either; if all goes well, Chicago will be my fall marathon next year.

Buyer's remorse with gear: Not really. I've bought some stuff that didn't work out, but I haven't spent a huge amount on any one thing that I should have know better than to buy. I learned something from most of the failed purchases, and some were speculative in the first place.

Biggest gear regret is probably the Hoka One One Cliftons. I did a 6 mile run in demos, then won a free pair in the raffle. Wore that pair for 96 miles running, and in hindsight that was a factor in my subsequent quad injury. Now I'm extremely reluctant to try new shoes. Saucony Kinvaras have worked well for me, and they're still being made. But technically, the Hokas weren't a purchase; they were a freebie.

Best gear purchase: Probably my first Garmin, to get a real running watch I could control while running instead of trying to use a phone app. Deciding factors were muffing the start button on the app for a few races, and the app not being flexible enough for interval workouts when I started getting coaching.