March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

@katharmonic -Yesterday was the first time I had the electrostimulation. It was, er, interesting. My hamstrings were much sorer yesterday than I remembered them being after my previous treatments. It was interesting to note that my PT was able to look at the needles after the pulses had been going for a few minutes and was able to tell me exactly where my tightest spots were by the way they responded in loosening up. And he was right. He said that I should expect some bruising on my left leg because it was the tightest and I definitely felt that. Will this help? Who knows. Even if it's only placebo effect, I guess that's still something...

Hmm my evil physio (I love her really but dammit she's a sadist) introduced me to dry needling at my last session about 3 weeks ago, insisting it would do much more for me than just massage would. No electrostimulation involved though, just her digging about in my right calf with the needling and making it spasm so hard I thought I was going to involuntarily (of course ;-) ) kick her in the face. I see her again next week and I'm not even sure I want to agree to more needles, let alone electrified ones! Her manual ministrations leave more bruises but I can walk better after them...
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I guess I could do that... Or tell the owner to have a look at the way the data is pulled from OSM. There are a lot of things in there that I can't believe are marked as streets on OSM. As I said, rivers, country borders, shops, ...

If I go through the list, the first "real" street for my village is on page 4
    xva5u1mpyjfx.png

On some pages of the list there are hardly any streets at all
    qmgbun1my4nv.png

And since I live in an area with many small villages, I would have to clean up around ten of them. I guess I'm just too lazy to fix all that right now :sweat_smile:

Maybe I'll just look at the "Livetime map" zoomed into my current region to identify if there are large spots in my area that I'm somehow missing.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ this is from the site owner explaining the issue. Note that it's over 3 years old, but I have seen progress on the flagging in the three months I've been on the site.
    JamesChevalier
    Sep '15
    Hey Vincent & everyone else in the thread - I just want to quickly poke my head in and let you all know that I’m aware of the problem & really want to get it fixed. I don’t have a ton of time right now to get into all the details and decisions that got CityStrides here, but I can at least start to explain…

Yeah, I’m in a tough situation on this one. The (somewhat) shortened version of the situation is that OSM doesn’t have perfect data, so I opted to take in more than I needed with the intention of trimming out the excess. I added ‘flag for review’ buttons on each street, kind of taking a cue from Foursquare & how their user base helps manage the site’s data (or at least they used to, by giving certain ‘super users’ more access to the moderation system).
    So I’ve got the start of a moderation system, but I haven’t really been able to follow through on that completely - adding different levels of access to certain users, or automatically removing streets that are flagged a certain number of times, or something else…

If I only import ‘highway’ tags 1, I lose out on things that are not tagged completely. In some areas, this would make my import useless.
    If I import everything (like I am) and sort things out within CityStrides, then I start with a mess and need to clean things up. That’s where I am now.

Gotta run for now, but I’ll be back when I’ve got some more time for more explanation. If anyone has any more questions/suggestions, please share them - I’ll reply everywhere I can!

Thanks for talking about this everyone, I really appreciate it!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thanks for sharing that info. That explains where all the extra entries are coming from.
    I hope the solution doesn't end up "automatically removing streets that are flagged a certain number of times", I don't think there are that many number of users from my region.
    I'm not sure I want to mark all the non-streets as complete, that would make the "percentage run" wrong in the other direction. If we have 100 streets, I ran 80 of them, and then mark the 150 additional non-streets as complete, I have 92% shown as finished instead of the true 80%. Maybe I could for each village make a list and come up with a conversion factor of "1 street in village X completed = mark 3.7 other features as complete"? :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    No, as I said, I think I'll just look at the map for now.

My village:
    3320npi103.png
    everything on the lower half that I didn't run yet is either "nope, no way I'm running on a busy major road on the stretches were it doesn't even have a shoulder" or private/no access. But on the top right I can see a few white routes that might be run-able, so I have something to investigate this week ^^
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 -Wow, woman! You have been through a lot. Your positive attitude and unwillingness to give in have been such an inspiration to so many of us here. I hope you already know that though.

Don't want to sound like a band-wagoner (I know that's probably not a real word), but I 100% agree with this!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Woke up with sore muscles, i think probably from my fall yesterday, all that jarring perhaps. So decided a rest and recovery day is in order. I'll go for a walk at lunchtime but no run today. So currently snuggling on the couch with kitty!

Who knows about Mizuno shoes? I won a $50 voucher in this challenge (woo hoo) so am thinking of a second pair of shoes. I need a wide stability shoe. Also I read they are small fitting so should go a half size up? I usually wear asics gel kayano 25s in 9.5D
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    3-1 Rest
    3-2 10.5k easy
    3-3 11k slow
    3-4 10.5k recovery
    3-5 Rest
    3-6 7k slow
    3-7 10.5k easy
    3-8 Rest
    3-9 11k easy
    3-10 7k recovery
    3-11 8.5k slow
    3-12 Rest
    3-13 7k slow
    3-14 7k easy
    3-15 Rest
    3-16 7k easy
    3-17 11k slow
    3-18 7k recovery
    3-19 Rest
    3-20 7k easy

March Total: 122k
    March Goal: 175k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Shorts and t-shirt running today. Only drawback was the wind.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K (Registered)
    6-1 Freedom 5K (Will be off the schedule due to another commitment)
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    And on another note, we've made a pretty radical decision to sell up and move. We are going to list the house at the end of the month, see how long it takes to sell, and then I'll get a job IN A CITY!!! I love my current job and I enjoy living where we are, but we are so limited. My eldest is about to turn 5, and schooling, while ok, is a consideration. There is also not a lot for the kids to do. Not that I want to load them up, but having a variety would be nice. And I dream of all the running events I could do. And ease of buying shoes!! Lol.

So I'm feeling guilty at work when they talk about including me in future projects as it doesn't look like I'll be around. I'm sad about the idea of leaving, though after 6 years I've grown as much as I'm going to. I'm excited about the idea of learning new things - I would immediately be learning CT in the hospital that I'd be working in which is something I've always wanted to do, but cannot do where I am. I already spoke with the hospital and they are desperate for staff so it sounds like I'd walk into a job. Just need the house to sell.

Ooh, where would you move to? Will you stay in Northland?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

@katharmonic -Yesterday was the first time I had the electrostimulation. It was, er, interesting. My hamstrings were much sorer yesterday than I remembered them being after my previous treatments. It was interesting to note that my PT was able to look at the needles after the pulses had been going for a few minutes and was able to tell me exactly where my tightest spots were by the way they responded in loosening up. And he was right. He said that I should expect some bruising on my left leg because it was the tightest and I definitely felt that. Will this help? Who knows. Even if it's only placebo effect, I guess that's still something...

Hmm my evil physio (I love her really but dammit she's a sadist) introduced me to dry needling at my last session about 3 weeks ago, insisting it would do much more for me than just massage would. No electrostimulation involved though, just her digging about in my right calf with the needling and making it spasm so hard I thought I was going to involuntarily (of course ;-) ) kick her in the face. I see her again next week and I'm not even sure I want to agree to more needles, let alone electrified ones! Her manual ministrations leave more bruises but I can walk better after them...

My issue with dry needling is that there’s no scientific support for it, despite multiple studies. If you aren’t seeing definite benefits due to placebo effect, it seems to me it’s an infection risk with zero potential benefit.

I had dry needling done with a local pt i trust. It helped. I think the infection risk is low, i was also concerned about it. They do use sterile needles and sterilize the skin before and after. Least mine did.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    And on another note, we've made a pretty radical decision to sell up and move. We are going to list the house at the end of the month, see how long it takes to sell, and then I'll get a job IN A CITY!!! I love my current job and I enjoy living where we are, but we are so limited. My eldest is about to turn 5, and schooling, while ok, is a consideration. There is also not a lot for the kids to do. Not that I want to load them up, but having a variety would be nice. And I dream of all the running events I could do. And ease of buying shoes!! Lol.

So I'm feeling guilty at work when they talk about including me in future projects as it doesn't look like I'll be around. I'm sad about the idea of leaving, though after 6 years I've grown as much as I'm going to. I'm excited about the idea of learning new things - I would immediately be learning CT in the hospital that I'd be working in which is something I've always wanted to do, but cannot do where I am. I already spoke with the hospital and they are desperate for staff so it sounds like I'd walk into a job. Just need the house to sell.

Going to New Plymouth. so actually further away from you haha
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

Going to New Plymouth. so actually further away from you haha

New Plymouth is great. Good running. Plenty of trails and hills. Quite a bit colder though...
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    March 2 = 8 miles
    March 3 = 5 miles
    March 4 = 3.1 miles
    March 6 = 3.6 miles
    March 7 = 3.1 miles

Total for month = 22.8
    Goal for month = 80
    Miles left until goal = 57.2
    March 9 = 5 miles
    March 10 = 8 miles

Weekend total = 13 miles

22.8 + 13 = 35.8 miles for month
    Goal for month = 80 miles
    Miles left until goal = 44.2 miles

March 11 - 3.14 miles

35.8 + 3.14 = 38.94 miles for the month
    Goal for month = 80 miles
    Miles left until goal = 41.06 miles

March 13 - 5 miles

38.94 + 5 = 43.94 miles for the month
    Goal for the month = 80 miles
    Miles left until goal = 36.06 miles

March 14 - 3.13 miles
    43.94 + 3.13 = 47.07 miles for the month
    Miles left until goal = 32.93 Miles

March 16 - 3.1 miles

47.07 + 3.1 = 50.17 miles for the month
    Miles left until goal = 29.83 miles

March 17 - 11 miles

50.17 + 11 = 61.17 miles for the month
    Goal #1 for the month = 80 miles
    Miles left until goal = 18.83 miles

Oops....I may have to up that goal a bit.

March 18 - 5 miles

61.17 + 5 = 66.17 miles for the month
    Goal #1 for the month = 80 miles
    Miles left until goal = 13.83 miles

March 20 - 5.8 miles

66.17 + 5.8 = 71.97 miles for the month
    Goal #1 - 80 miles
    Miles left until goal = 8.03 miles