March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    In a previous thread, I asked your opinions regarding my running my first half marathon this year. As I recall, most responses were along the lines of "sure, it sounds doable". So now, I would like your opinions regarding some options I'm considering.

First, I'm leaning toward the Bridge of the Gods Half Marathon in Cascade Locks, Oregon. The link is to the course map with "rolling hills". Um... does this look too challenging? I'll be running a 12k in May, with two weeks 'off' before starting a 12-week training HM training plan. This is in the middle of August... could be hot. Also possibility important: I'll be going on vacation a week later, with a 6 hour flight. (Would that matter?)

The second option would give me more time to train, and put me solidly in the middle of the training plan during vacation. The Spokane Half Marathon in Spokane, Washington is in October. Cooler weather with "short but steep hills"... then the beautiful longer hill at mile 9. :open_mouth: I'll be running up that one in May.

Finally, just take even more time to train, and wait until next year. There's a couple in May that I'm debating regardless (Coeur d'Alene and Windermere) as well as a super flat one in July near Portland (Foot Traffic Half).

Choices, choices!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    In a previous thread, I asked your opinions regarding my running my first half marathon this year. As I recall, most responses were along the lines of "sure, it sounds doable". So now, I would like your opinions regarding some options I'm considering.

First, I'm leaning toward the Bridge of the Gods Half Marathon in Cascade Locks, Oregon. The link is to the course map with "rolling hills". Um... does this look too challenging? I'll be running a 12k in May, with two weeks 'off' before starting a 12-week training HM training plan. This is in the middle of August... could be hot. Also possibility important: I'll be going on vacation a week later, with a 6 hour flight. (Would that matter?)

The second option would give me more time to train, and put me solidly in the middle of the training plan during vacation. The Spokane Half Marathon in Spokane, Washington is in October. Cooler weather with "short but steep hills"... then the beautiful longer hill at mile 9. :open_mouth: I'll be running up that one in May.

Finally, just take even more time to train, and wait until next year. There's a couple in May that I'm debating regardless (Coeur d'Alene and Windermere) as well as a super flat one in July near Portland (Foot Traffic Half).

Choices, choices!

i've looked at the bridge. i would love to do that one.
    i've also looked at the columbia gorge half because they have a dog leg. and me and speed demon could do it

oh and i enjoyed the northern olympic discovery marathon in port angeles(they have a half).
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow Member
    March 8, 2019 8:40AM

I am just training for my first HM in May, so I can’t speak to that piece, but I would’ve more worried about smoke for Bridge of the Gods than heat. August has been such a terrible month for fires for the past few years, and it’s made it tough to make major outdoor plans.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @zeesparrow I used to want to do the Bridge of the Gods HM until I got into trail running and ultras. Looks like a fantastic course. From the website:
    How difficult is the course- does this course include any hilly areas or is it fairly flat?
    Course is rolling hills and moderate in difficulty on a closed pathway on the majority of the course. All the elevation gain is pretty gradual on the course. The 10K has just over 400 ft of gain and the Half Marathon has 1050 ft gain. You can view the course elevation profiles on the course map pages on the site.

1050 foot of gain over 13.1 miles is about 80 feet/mile, which is how I judge the elevation. That's good amount of elevation gain but not insurmountable. Like @pastorvincent said, you may want to plan on walking some, and know that you won't match your pace from flat running. Who cares, though.. the scenery!!

I agree with everything else @pastorvincent said about the race as well.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @zeesparrow one thing I always do when considering a race I haven't run, and do before I run a new race, is seek out race reports. Just Google the name of the race with "race report" and you should find some. I find these give a pretty good idea of what you'd be in for. Here's one for Bridge of the Gods

http://www.ridgetopfarmandgarden.com/2016-race-recap-bridge-of-the-gods-half-marathon/

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Date...........Run.......Walk.........Pushups
    03/01........00M.......3.5M........30
    03/02........20M.......0.0M........00
    03/03........00M.......0.0M........00 *injury*
    03/04........06M.......0.0M........00
    03/05........04M.......1.0M........00
    03/06........00M.......0.0M........25
    03/07........11M.......0.0M........00
    03/08........16M.......0.0M........00

---MTD: 4.5 miles walking, 56 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    3/1 = 10.5 miles
    3/2 = 12 miles
    3/3 = rest day
    3/4 = 4 miles
    3/5 = rest day
    3/6 = 7.5 miles
    3/7 = rest day
    3/8 = 7.5 miles

Per my second goal this month, today’s Friday morning run was a sorry attempt at a trail run. It was more like hiking with running intervals. I kind-of suck at trail running.

The first part of the trail was gorgeous. A piney wood trail that led up to a wonderful view of the whole park. The trail led back down by the river and and that’s were the nice part ended. Unfortunately, the second part of the trail was open to horse riders. The trail was completely trashed with mud and horse tracks making it impossible to run on without breaking my ankle.

Oh, and there is an 80% chance of thunderstorms for my half tomorrow. I foresee a soaking wet and chafed run in my near future.

Off to find a new trail to explore next Friday.... :)

Part 1:
    lyts3s0a0pav.jpeg

dndj7auif2oi.jpeg

r8r8d9647rai.jpeg

The sucky second part:

0217y3vzqyy3.jpeg

That looks like a great place to run!