March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Do you live in/near Switzerland? I don’t think I ever picked up on that (or if I had I forgot) - I lived in Zurich for a year in high school and loved it there. I got to know a few ex-pats while I was there and have day-dreamed about immigrating from time to time, especially as I’ve gotten older and started thinking about having kids. My profession (law) isn’t necessarily that easy to transplant given liscencing requirements, unfortunately, and I’ve lost a lot of my German over the years.
    @MegaMooseEsq I live in France, but quite close to the Swiss border. Hence also my usual mess of currencies when I talk about prices - living in a little French village -> buying running gear online in Euro, but looking for a "local" shop -> head over across the border to Switzerland. The nearest big city for me is Geneva. So French-speaking territory all around. But especially Geneva is quite international, with the UN, Red Cross, CERN, and many other international organizations. For example at my climbing gym, some days I feel like half the people there are speaking anything but French ^^
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    My son's girlfriend's parents are coming for dinner tonight. What happened to the little kid that was scooping bird seed off the ground and eating it? :o

Yep unfortunately they do tend to grow up, no matter how many bricks you put on them to keep them small! 😁
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Well done! Glad you had fun.
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    03/01/19 :::: 2.9 :::: 2.9
    03/02/19 :::: 5.5 :::: 8.4
    03/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 8.4
    03/04/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 11.4
    03/05/19 :::: 2.0 :::: 13.5
    03/06/19 :::: 3.3 :::: 16.8
    03/07/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 16.8
    03/08/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 19.9
    03/09/19 :::: 4.1 :::: 24.0

OK, you guys, after all my worries the Spartan race today was seriously FUN. I can't even believe I did that.

My friend and I nearly bailed out before it started, we were so nervous. Fortunately the rest of our team arrived and we were committed. We got so lucky with the weather - it was sunny and in the 30s, but felt warmer as the sun reflected off the snow. I definitely could have lost a layer and been fine. We started out at the bottom of the ski hill and had to jump over a wall to get to the start line. The snow was soft and deep in a lot of places and it was like running through sand. Well, walking - because there was no way I was running up that whole hill.
    i0dcfisq1kwr.jpg

Finally we made it to the highest point of the course and then had some trail running heading down, which was kind of treacherous. The running part was a lot slower and a lot more difficult than I anticipated overall. The obstacles were mostly not as bad as I feared, but I won't lie, they were hard. The first wall we came to was the highest and I had to have a bit of a boost to make it over, but all the rest I did myself - including the inverted wall. The first "fail" was the rig where you had to go across on the rings. I made it to ring 2 and immediately slipped off. The gloves were not good and I took them off for anything else requiring grip. I'm not sure I could have made it anyway, but that was a mistake. I also did not manage the rope climb (no surprise there) or the spear throw. I made it a little over half way across for the monkey bars and would have made it all the way but lost momentum at a part where the bars were spaced farther apart. That was the only one that made me mad, because I really thought I could have done it. There were heavy things to carry (a big rock, sandbags, and a bucket full of rocks), a heavy sled to pull, a weight to hoist up on a rope - all of which went fine. Thanks to strength training over the last few months! I really liked the A-frame cargo net climb and another a-frame wooden thing - those were the most fun to do.

We came around a corner and realized we were back close to the start by the ski lodge, but we were not done - which meant we were going back up and down that ski hill. The climb up was rough, then we headed down through the woods and the trail was tough! The snow was either deep and squishy or packed down and super slick. Some of it I slid on my butt and some of it I ran through the soft stuff. It felt very out of control. Finally we came out of the woods and the last part was down hill on an actual ski slope. Most people slid down it - some in full penguin on their bellies head first. I went down on my butt but really picked up some speed! It was pretty fun. Finally we were at the bottom and had to run up a slip wall - you ran halfway and grabbed a rope to pull yourself up the rest. I was pleased to make that on the first try. Then we jogged down to the finish where we had to jump over a line of fire (mostly a symbolic, easy jump - but it messed with your mind a little not wanting to wipe out in the fire). Then we were done!

The team had about 22 people and we ended mostly in two groups. I was in the front group of about 12 of us, and everyone was so supportive. There was quite a bit of time waiting for each other so we'd all catch up and go on to the next thing. I felt like I hung with the pack very well, if not being at the front for most of it (not that this was FAST by any means but I didn't fall back on the hills as much as some others and I powered through the heavy carries pretty well. I think I was the oldest person or close to it so I feel pretty good about that. Loved getting to know some of my team members and having so much fun in the process. It took us about 2 hours 15 minutes to finish with all the stopping and waiting, so the pace was terrible but it was exhausting and challenging the whole time.

After we finished, we waited around for the second group, which included a couple of the trainers who were helping people in the back. Then we changed and had our free beer. It was some local beer I don't remember, all I know is there were two choices of alcohol content and I said gimme all the alcohol so got the higher one. It was not great but it went down fine. If I didn't have to drive home I would have gone for a few more rounds of something (not that beer) but we had to head out as it was already a long day.

My Salomon trail shoes worked perfectly, and my feet were dry despite all that snow! No blisters or anything, but my feet were a bit sore overall. I've got various bruises and a slight sunburn but ended up pretty intact. I survived! I had a blast!

Bling and a few pics under spoilers
    f9q1xw8rybb5.jpg
    31ru0w2k4tvu.jpg
    aq6sdn6n09am.jpg
    ou5594vl45th.jpg
    i7568i11ywty.jpg
    7gqktzuj54xk.jpg
    amkmenwnxhxn.jpg

Whoa! That sounds awesome! Congrats!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Well done! Sounds like a lot of work, but fun! Way to go!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - for CA this may be the last time we have to change. Voters here overwhelmingly approved ending it but it does still have to be approved by Congress so we'll see.

If I am ever elected president, I will put an end to it in the USA.

Can you get rid of the penny too? So pointless.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Katharmonic well done! Glad you did no bail. And yes, sliding down the hills is traditional at Spartans. :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 if you don't mind subtitles check out Dark, a German series. Only one season I think. I love that show.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    March Goal: Shut up and move

3/1 Went to my first ever St. David's Day Party
    3/2 3.13
    3/3 stuff
    3/4 4.00
    3/5 rest
    3/6 3.00
    3/7 snorkel 3.5 hours
    3/8 3.35
    3/9 3.00

Total: 16.48
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Beautiful @HonuNui ! Thanks. You got one for grumpy ol' men? Haha!
    hmm....I'll have to check with my Hawaiian cultural sources!
    @katharmonic sounds like a fun day!
    YAY! @samathes
    @midwesterner85 Hoping for a quick recovery..

Ticker is my goal for 2019 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Made use of the gym again this morning so 4mile treadmill and 0.5mile each way getting there so counting that as 5 miles. Treadmill is full but it has helped with pacing g i think. Total this month 14miles.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless great job getting through that slog of heat and humidity to finish your HM. Breakfast tacos and mimosas are be a great motivator.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 if you don't mind subtitles check out Dark, a German series. Only one season I think. I love that show.

German! Yay! Thanks! Er danke!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Katharmonic well done! Glad you did no bail. And yes, sliding down the hills is traditional at Spartans. :)

@PastorVincent you were totally right, it was a blast and the people were awesome. A very good bunch of crazies. Are they usually sliding downhill in the mud or on grass?

Thanks so much to you, @zeesparrow, @shanaber, @Tramboman, @Scott6255, and @HonuNui. I'm thinking today about how much I liked the team aspect of this race and that it wasn't about time - such a big difference from running a half or marathon by myself and being in my own head the whole time, concerned about pace. Might have to rethink some plans and goals for this year! More team events!

@amymoreorless congrats on your half! I can't believe you had such heat and humidity already. I could totally go for some breakfast tacos and mimosas, that sounds so good.