Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »
    ————————————————————————-
    YA’LL. All the well wishes and healing vibes are helping. I made it down the hall and back on crutches, set a hospital PR 😛 might get me for doping though 🥴🤘

HA! Congrats! You should tell them to get you a medal!

Absolutely!!! It's all about the swag (or bling - I can never remember which is which).

I got some nifty bracelets for swag. One says ALLERGY, another FALL RISK, yet another saying I’ve had a certain medicine- exparell (I think) and one more with my name laser-printed on it ! Ohh and an awesome water cup!

ETA bling is the shiny stuff raccoons would steal if they had the opportunity to rain your medals rack.

I hope your physical recovery goes as well as your state of mind.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Cool will try to remember to search for it. Body Glide was the best I found locally and compared to nipple chaffing... well happy to use most things. :smiley: But if there is better, I am up to try it.

I've never used it to prevent nipple chafing. For that I just use little bandaids like this

51ooCGLzoAL.SX332_SY500_CR,0,0,332,500_PIbundle-8,TopRight,0,0_SX332_SY500_CR,0,0,332,500_SH20_.jpg

Band aids do not stay on for me. I have considered nip ease but never tried them. Last year I did tape+vasline+cotton balls.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Date...........Run.......Walk.........Pushups
    03/01........00M.......3.5M........30
    03/02........20M.......0.0M........00
    03/03........00M.......0.0M........00 *injury*
    03/04........06M.......0.0M........00
    03/05........04M.......1.0M........00
    03/06........00M.......0.0M........25
    03/05........11M.......0.0M........00

---MTD: 4.5 miles walking, 41 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ooooo @katharmonic im screenshoting those socks! I've considered the soloman shoes but i haven't had the need for them. Have you owned them before? I want a review!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Ooooo @katharmonic im screenshoting those socks! I've considered the soloman shoes but i haven't had the need for them. Have you owned them before? I want a review!

@Elise4270 I haven’t had Saloman shoes before but have been eyeing them for a while - I also haven’t really had a need. I’ll report back after Saturday’s race. I’m excited to wear them on some Adirondack trails this spring/ summer
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have a monthly question if no one minds! For the benefit of the newbies especially. What gear have you bought that you regret spending too much money on, either because you hardly ever use it or because you found you could get something less expensive? And what gear has turned out to be a really great deal, either because it was expensive but worth every penny or because it was super cheap but works great?
    Regrets: (if shoes count as gear) A pair of On running shoes. With fancy "cloud pod" soles. After running my first half marathon three years ago, I decided to treat myself to a pair of new shoes from a real running store (usually I buy my shoes on sale online). So I drove to the next big city. They talked me into these ridiculously expensive shoes (200CHF! apart from those, my second most expensive shoes were 119EUR a few more years ago. The 7 pairs I have in rotation right now cost on average 65EUR).
    They were fine on the treadmill in the store. But on my usual running routes, I got rocks stuck in the stupid cloud pods all the time, which drove me insane. After 100km I was fed up with them and dropped them in a donation box.

Expensive but worth it: my GPS watch. (Tomtom Adventure). Never go running/hiking/skiing/cycling without it!
    I also really like my hydration pack ( Nathan Firecatcher Hydration Vest), better than any others I had in the past, still happy with it after two or three years.

My clothes are pretty much all from decathlon, no special brands, never saw the need to buy anything more expensive.

Do you live in/near Switzerland? I don’t think I ever picked up on that (or if I had I forgot) - I lived in Zurich for a year in high school and loved it there. I got to know a few ex-pats while I was there and have day-dreamed about immigrating from time to time, especially as I’ve gotten older and started thinking about having kids. My profession (law) isn’t necessarily that easy to transplant given liscencing requirements, unfortunately, and I’ve lost a lot of my German over the years.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I hope you like your Salomons as much as I like mine! They have superb traction in mud. I don't know if you realize but there is a little pocket on the top of the tongue to tuck your lock laces into.

10k for me today on trails, supposed to be an easy run but it was just one of those that feel hard despite a slow pace. Probably because I did a bunch of squats, lunges, and pistol squats yesterday. Finally getting to where I can do pistols without falling over. The trails out at WC Johnson are still mucky but much better than last time. It was chilly and damp. We got it done though! Afterwards went to the catfish place and ate ALL THE MUDBUGS AND KING CAKE. Mardi Gras was two days ago but I can't turn down crawfish, we don't get them here for very long. They were good too, spicy hot, dripping butter and big as rock lobsters.

Thank you @rheddmobile! I figured there was some way to deal with the lock laces but hadn't investigated yet. Squats, lunges and pistol squats are also responsible for my pain. Great job making it through a 10k trail run. I wish I could join you for the mudbugs and king cake!

@7lenny7 the Speedcross shoes are indeed a noticeably narrower shoe. They felt good on my test but we'll see how that goes.

As for the monthly question on regrets -
    • A few different versions of hydration belts that I don't love. I hate wearing them in general but I hate the hand held type more and I need to carry water on summer long runs. I have resisted trying a vest because it makes me feel hot to think about but maybe it's worth a try at some point.
    • I have regretted some shoes - regretted not returning/exchanging them when I didn't love them or not realizing the shoes were the thing causing my problems. Biggest example was the Brooks Transcends I stubbornly kept wearing during marathon training and for my marathon (because I trained in them! Can't change now!) and got the world's largest blood blister.