03/10 5.15 km -29.36km -110.64km - YTD 110.65km
    03/13 5.00 km -34.36km -105.64km - YTD 115.65km
    03/16 10.00 km -44.36km - 95.64km - YTD 125.65km
    03/17 5.00 km -49.36km - 90.64km - YTD 130.65km
    03/20 6.00 km -54.36km - 84.64km - YTD 136.65km
    03/21 3.00 km -57.36km - 81.64km - YTD 139.65km
    03/23 10.00 km -67.36km - 74.64km - YTD 146.65km
    03/27 6.00 km -73.36km - 68.64km - YTD 152.65km

A few more runs in this month than last but still short of goal. Only have 1/2 of what my YTD should be.
    10km on Saturday running around our local ski hill.
    Tonight 3km climb up to the top of the River Valley and then a fast trip back to the bottom.
    Noticed that I have a very consistent stride length @0.93m - wether I am doing a 6min/km or 5min/km just the cadence changes. Always thought I would also see a slightly longer stride. Will have to look back at some previous years data especially events where I set a PB. Maybe a symptom of being under trained?
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp oh heck that sucks. Really hope it turns out to be one of those random pains that miraculously disappears as quickly as it appeared, but if not at least you have the common sense to stop and repair rather than push on and cause worse damage.
    @HonuNui I cannot even fathom going through that. Hugs.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @girlinahat I’m going to look up that film. Sounds inspiring.

It's a series of short films - a bit like the BANFF Mountain film and Ocean film festivals. It was sponsored by FleetFeet as well so you should be able to find it somewhere.

@eleanorhawkins what ratio of walk/run are you doing? I've been going back to trying that so just curious.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I'm really sorry to hear about your injury and the disappointment of having to miss Boston.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat I'm doing 2 min run/30 second walk (anything less than that just seemed too much like cheating to my sceptic side) then running through the last walk if I've anything less than about 500 metres to go.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat I'm doing 2 min run/30 second walk (anything less than that just seemed too much like cheating to my sceptic side) then running through the last walk if I've anything less than about 500 metres to go.

Did you say you were doing the "Galloway" program? I have heard it mentioned many times in this thread but I never looked into it. Does it have as its goal to get you to run full time, or is it a perpetual run/walk program? Just wondering.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Good to see you back!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So anyway, all that said to just say hi again to those who remember me, and hi to all the members I haven't 'met' yet! I am pumped to be here and counting down til the April challenge starts!

YAY! Welcome back!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Did you say you were doing the "Galloway" program? I have heard it mentioned many times in this thread but I never looked into it. Does it have as its goal to get you to run full time, or is it a perpetual run/walk program? Just wondering.

@PastorVincent Yes it's the Galloway method, and yes, perpetual run/walk. Some people use it all the way through all runs, some only for longer distances, some after a certain distance (like for the second half of a race/long run/whatever.)
    There are also all sorts of different combinations depending on speed and personal preference. I've seem people doing intervals as short as 20 seconds running/10 seconds walking, which I think would drive me insane!
    I've pretty much worked out that my body does not want me to run full time, which is why it makes everything hurt if I run non-stop for more than a couple of miles. However my medium-long term goal is to do probably 3 HMs per year for as long as possible, and I've realised that said body isn't going to let me do that if I completely run them. I have no interest in winning them, so as long as this keeps me injury free and allows me to finish them within the time allowed I'm happy!

That is great. Gald it is working for you. :) You might find that if you push a little you can slowly get longer and longer run intervals and shorter walk intervals. You might not find you like that or you might find that it really works for you. I have seen many people comment that is what they did to get to "full time run" (which is a bit of a lie since most runners at very least walk drink stations and/or the uphills).

Whatever works, you do you :)

Thing is, I'm a pretty obsessive person. When I was around half way through HM training last year (I think when I reached long runs of around 11-12km) I felt like I was dying but wouldn't allow myself to take walk breaks because my crazy brain told me that wasn't running. Allowing myself those walks was quite a mental breakthrough, but I couldn't just do them when I felt I needed them. I really need structure and a 'plan' for pretty much everything I do otherwise I just freak out. So I fell into a routine of 9 minutes running, 1 minute walking. It seemed to work great for me. Until my last couple of long runs before the HM (which I believe were 14km and 16km). My legs were shot up and the race itself finished them off.
    Now I realise that was probably more a combination of too much too soon (and now I think that plan really lacked mileage) but I don't want to get sat on the bench for weeks and have to start from scratch all over again. As I build up again I may well extend the run intervals, or I may not. Will see as I go.
    For now, as you say, this is working and I feel good, which after all as a non-competitive run-walker who's in it for physical and mental health is all that matters.

I was doing 4 minute run/1 minute walk before (and lately tried the 9/1 idea) From what I heard, you shouldn't make the walk any longer than a minute as your body gets used to that nice walk thing and doesn't want to run!!!