Motivation to eat enough to bulk

Options
124»

Replies

• vertor81
    vertor81 Posts: 17
    Options
    I would say just get enough cardio to move your methabolizm and then divide your meals into more smaller portions. I eat 4-5 meals a day and easily go over 3k and what is most important I still enjoy the food I eat.
    At the moment I`m still targeting to lose weight so 2,7-3,5k a day when I reach my target fat % level I`m going to change about 100-200cal over maitenance to gain again. If you`re not about eastetics then if your TDEE is 2700 just go at 3500. But still watch the quality so low sugar , high protein and complex carbs. SHould get you were you want
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is, if you want to gain weight, quit crying and eat the dang food. There are hundreds of people reading this thread and flipping double birdies at you because they are trying to cut weight and struggle.

Now...How to solve your problem.

- Bacon Cheeseburgers
    - Large milkshake
    - Oreo Blizzard
    - Meat Lover's Pizza

Not an all inclusive list but just pick one of those I don't think you will have any problems.

ETA: Did not realize this was a continuing condition that makes it harder to eat a lot. Advice still stands though. What does your Dr. say? Is there a pill to take to make it easier or something you can take to get your calories in? Milkshake seems like the best option to get maximum calories for smallest space.

ETA2: Saw you responded to alot of similar issues. Honestly, I don't think people here are going to be your best option for support as we don't have a medical condition like yours to relate. I can put down 4,000 calories by accident if I don't keep my diet in check. Is there a support group or something you can check out for people in a similar situation? No matter what you need to keep eating b/c at your height and weight you are very underweight.
    Medical problem or not, completely uncalled for.
    This is a board for support, you are in the GAINING WEIGHT section. His problems are just as valid as yours.
    I'm sure noone from here has a go at people trying to lose weight that they should stop crying because there is people out there struggling to gain weight.

Actually the advice is still valid on either side...As the OP's tagline states.."results not excuses". Obsidian if I offended your delicate sensibilities I apologize. When talking to the male population I tend to be a little more direct and mayb use some hyperbole to make a point. I think OP realizes what it was.

OP doesn't seem offended, and the discussion has continued.
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    @CarlK: that's part of my motivation as well. When I undereat I am sore longer and wind up getting injured at one point or another and frankly I'm sick of it. I cannot do small and more often meals, I need time to digest, so I just have to pony up at my three squares a day.

@Vertor: I'm pretty active, I workout three days a week, do yoga 1 day a week, and then I'm either golfing or at the shore on the weekends doing stuff. The only time I'm inactive is at work where I work a desk job, but I make it a point to work standing up throughout the day and stretch as well.

@ryry: don't worry about it, I was not offended by your comments. Even though I have this disease I still have to force myself. Either that or go on IV nutrition which I definitely do not want.
  • travjesslove
    Options
    my tdee is 3200 and I am trying to gain some clean mass. Do I need to be eating 3800 calories a day if I am hitting my protein and carb goals?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    my tdee is 3200 and I am trying to gain some clean mass. Do I need to be eating 3800 calories a day if I am hitting my protein and carb goals?

Travis you should start a new thread with your specific question so it can get answered. Personally I would start with a smaller increase like 250 and adjust if needed based on how muscle gain and fat gain were occuring.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
  • jbgolf52
    Options

That's a solid vid, thanks for that. I watched a video of Arnold Schwarzenegger along the same line and it hit home as well. I'm getting it done.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Have you tried brewing your own beer?

You could use a recipe to make something like what the Egyptians would drink. Very low on the alcohol. Very high on the cals.

Might be helpful for your gut flora too.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    Have you tried brewing your own beer?

You could use a recipe to make something like what the Egyptians would drink. Very low on the alcohol. Very high on the cals.

Might be helpful for your gut flora too.

I have not, but seeing as I don't like beer it's something I would not try. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is, if you want to gain weight, quit crying and eat the dang food. There are hundreds of people reading this thread and flipping double birdies at you because they are trying to cut weight and struggle.

Now...How to solve your problem.

- Bacon Cheeseburgers
    - Large milkshake
    - Oreo Blizzard
    - Meat Lover's Pizza

Not an all inclusive list but just pick one of those I don't think you will have any problems.

ETA: Did not realize this was a continuing condition that makes it harder to eat a lot. Advice still stands though. What does your Dr. say? Is there a pill to take to make it easier or something you can take to get your calories in? Milkshake seems like the best option to get maximum calories for smallest space.

ETA2: Saw you responded to alot of similar issues. Honestly, I don't think people here are going to be your best option for support as we don't have a medical condition like yours to relate. I can put down 4,000 calories by accident if I don't keep my diet in check. Is there a support group or something you can check out for people in a similar situation? No matter what you need to keep eating b/c at your height and weight you are very underweight.
    Medical problem or not, completely uncalled for.
    This is a board for support, you are in the GAINING WEIGHT section. His problems are just as valid as yours.
    I'm sure noone from here has a go at people trying to lose weight that they should stop crying because there is people out there struggling to gain weight.

Actually the advice is still valid on either side...As the OP's tagline states.."results not excuses". Obsidian if I offended your delicate sensibilities I apologize. When talking to the male population I tend to be a little more direct and mayb use some hyperbole to make a point. I think OP realizes what it was.

OP doesn't seem offended, and the discussion has continued.
    You completely missed my point.
    However I do not want to derail OPs thread by arguing this any further.
  • jamalmoses1
    jamalmoses1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    have you tried high cal foods if u eat foods with high cals you wont have to eat so much at a time.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Wow. Im 4'8", 120#, and i eat 2700-3000 calories.

Mass gainer shakes (russian bear 5000 vanilla is AH MAY ZING).
    Or, regular protein powder, peanut butter, steel cut oats, and whole milk. Blend, consume.
    Add olive oil/coconut oil to foods.

Theres also something called Engorge that you can take that will make you hungry enough to bite a person.
    Or, good old fashioned hard work. Big lifting, chopping up firewood, digging post holes for fences, slinging hay, hauling feed (or hubbys version-jackhammering concrete, lifting waterheaters overhead, digging trenches, pouring concrete, laying cast iron). I could eat furniture after a long day.

ETA-my husband is 5'11" and 130#. He has an insane metabolism and eats (dead serious) 7000 calories a day. Its in his family, so i understand the idea of food becoming unbearable. I really do sympathise, and i hope you find a good solution.
  • suska007
    suska007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Medjool dates are are known for helping people gain weight. They are 100% natural fruit but are high in calories and to me they taste like caramel. 3 dates is around 200 calories.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    if you can eat peanut butter there is NO WAY that you can't eat 2200 cals without feeling like you "stuffed yourself".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuO4OZJ5ncY
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    @Jamal: I have, the problem is I cannot eat fatty meats in any appreciable amount unless it is bacon for some reason, so I have been having some with breakfast

@Magical: wow you must be extremely active throughout the day,
    I work a desk job and while I do make a point of getting up and stretching and even work standing up, I am sedentary most of the day. Thanks for the food suggestions, weight gainers kill my stomach, same with shakes with anything else added to it besides protein powder. I've been eating consistently more no matter what these past couple weeks and have gained a couple pounds and my lifts have gone up in the gym, so feeling good about that.

@Suska: I didn't know that dates are that calorie dense, I will check them out the next time I'm at the grocery store.

@Chris: nice video, I've seen that one before. PB has helped in getting me the cals I need, but I still feel stuffed just because of all the food in my stomach. I'm getting used to it and eating more in general, so if I keep at it I should be able to keep gaining weight. I'm up to 134lbs as of this morning, most I've ever weighed in the past year but still down 11lbs from my normal walking weight.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    Have you ever tried unflavored protein powder in recipes? It mixes in coffee, or you can blend it into pasta sauce or soup :) a few scoops can add several hundred calories to each meal.

My hubby told me to mention , "cook everything with butter, olive oil, or bacon grease."

He eats like a horse (we can eat 50+ taco bell tacos in a sitting.) But cannot gain. He gained 10lbs with big lifts, protein and BCAAs during the day and a hardgainer creatine and mass gain after workouts.

Ill admit to making poptart-nutella-sandwiches when i want to gain. ;)
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    Have you ever tried unflavored protein powder in recipes? It mixes in coffee, or you can blend it into pasta sauce or soup :) a few scoops can add several hundred calories to each meal.

My hubby told me to mention , "cook everything with butter, olive oil, or bacon grease."

He eats like a horse (we can eat 50+ taco bell tacos in a sitting.) But cannot gain. He gained 10lbs with big lifts, protein and BCAAs during the day and a hardgainer creatine and mass gain after workouts.

Ill admit to making poptart-nutella-sandwiches when i want to gain. ;)

I have whey protein that I use some times when I make protein pancakes, but other than that I don't really use it. I don't eat pasta or soups, nor do I drink coffee, so those are all out. I would love to cook everything in some kind of oil but I have to watch how much fat I eat, too much and it exacerbates my symptoms and slows my digestion down too much and gives me stomach pains. Although cooked bacon does not, oddly enough. Your husband must be ridiculously active throughout the day to eat so much and not gain weight.

Poptart and Nutella sandwiches? Sounds delicious. I've actually never had Nutella before and just bought a box of poptarts to help with gaining, even though I haven't had one in who knows how long. Do you heat your poptarts up before you eat them or just eat them straight from the wrapper?
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    He is a pipefitter :) his whole family eats like that though, and never gains.

Poptart sammich: frosted strawberry spread with nutella, frozen for 10 minutes
    Smores poptart with nutella after toasting

Also yummy-toaster streudels with cheesecake filling.

Cake balls made with nutella dunked in melted chocolate and nuts are pretty good.

Just give it a little while-the holidays are coming ;)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    how did I forget pop tarts. 2 of them is an easy 400 cals and doesn't fill me up at all. Probably one of the best weight gaining foods around for people with small appetites.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    @Magical: must be nice for him. Those poptart sandwiches sound really good, I will have to give them a try some time, thanks for the suggestions. Haha at the holidays are coming, yes they are good for gaining weight. I always get the 1lb Reese's package from CVS, so much peanut butter lol.

@Chris: yea it sounds like they are, I will have to give them a try.