April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent It looks like a garter snake.

The house I grew up in had a nest full of them under an old stump, so they were everywhere in our yard as a kid. They were a little bit different, probably a different sub-species in Iowa, but still harmless.

That was my first thought, but I really do not know my snakes. :)

Me neither... but I know the 4 types of venomous snakes in North America. I figure that is the more important thing. When I got my Wilderness First Responder certification, I learned how to treat bites from those snakes. And 3 of the 4 types are treated the same way while the 4th is not a very common bite (because the snakes are so reclusive).

I was curious about the other three types as I could only think of rattlers, and found this article on recent fatal snakebites in the US. From a quick skim, it looks like the biggest risk factors for death-by-snakebite are 1) owning lots of venomous snakes, 2) trying to handle/kill a venomous snake, 3) not seeking medical attention after being bit by a venomous snake, and 4) being male.

Hmm. I wonder how much of the "being male" prong is because most women won't have the first 3 risk factors? And how much is related to the classic mating call, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Oh, I totally assume that number 4 lis directly tied to an increased risk of numbers 2 and 3. The pet owner factor seems a little more evenly split.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

The house I grew up in had a nest full of them under an old stump, so they were everywhere in our yard as a kid. They were a little bit different, probably a different sub-species in Iowa, but still harmless.

Me neither... but I know the 4 types of venomous snakes in North America. I figure that is the more important thing. When I got my Wilderness First Responder certification, I learned how to treat bites from those snakes. And 3 of the 4 types are treated the same way while the 4th is not a very common bite (because the snakes are so reclusive).

I was curious about the other three types as I could only think of rattlers, and found this article on recent fatal snakebites in the US. From a quick skim, it looks like the biggest risk factors for death-by-snakebite are 1) owning lots of venomous snakes, 2) trying to handle/kill a venomous snake, 3) not seeking medical attention after being bit by a venomous snake, and 4) being male.

HAH! :smiley:

I'm not saying anything about anyone's judgment, just noticed that 20 of 22 snake-bite deaths in the last decade were men. And one of the remaining two was an infant.

Oh, I have no doubt that men are more aggressive when dealing with snakes and therefore more likely to get bit, in general. I mean there are always exceptions, but really, it is no surprise. :)

Not a surprise at all - I was being a little cheeky in both of my earlier posts in case it didn't come across. ;) I'm just surprised that half the list isn't teenage boys. I actually didn't see any teenagers on there.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @kgirlhart!

Well I got out again this morning. Was thinking 6-8k. Did 10 again... But more on the flat today so much easier. I was mostly aiming for an hour of activity and walking is boring ;)

So that brings my total to 98ks, still 2 days left this week, so as long as I get 10k done before Monday I'm fine. I'll hit my goal of I do 5k every day for the rest of the month, and that should be easy given I usually do 6-7k on week days and a longer run on Weekends.
  • heracaniac
    heracaniac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group @heracaniac ! Love your 10k race goal!

I should actually be there this year too, MCM will be my 1st full marathon, provided I get there w/out injuring myself, lol

Thanks! It’s a beautiful route!!

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart - Happy Birthday. I really liked ur post on running 5 miles for 50yrs

Snakes freak me. It’s probably because we don’t have them here. Lots of people do as pets though so it’s only a matter of time
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Some important Easter information for runners: cm09vz39faje.jpeg

Those are candy eggs right?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

They’re Cadbury creme eggs - a chocolate shell (about 2.5 inches high) filled with thick syrupy sugar (like icing/frosting but not buttercream). They used to be super yummy but the recipe changed a few years back and now they’re sweet, sweet, sweet. Suits me.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

They’re Cadbury creme eggs - a chocolate shell (about 2.5 inches high) filled with thick syrupy sugar (like icing/frosting but not buttercream). They used to be super yummy but the recipe changed a few years back and now they’re sweet, sweet, sweet. Suits me.

This. I ABSOLUTELY loved creme eggs, but now they are awful - an example of a company selling out for profit over taste. I actually never buy Cadbury anymore. We have a local brand called whittakers, which is silky, smooth,creamy without being too sweet.

I had to point out that I only earned 5.5 creme eggs this morning, im short so only burned 645 calories doing 10k haha
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Date...........Run.......Walk
    04/01........00M.......1.0M
    04/02........07M.......0.0M
    04/03........11M.......3.5M
    04/04........00M.......3.5M
    04/05........10M.......1.5M
    04/06........17M.......0.0M
    04/07........00M.......4.8M
    04/08........00M.......2.0M
    04/09........08M.......0.0M
    04/10........08M.......0.0M
    04/11........13M.......0.0M
    04/12........00M.......0.0M*traveling*
    04/13........00M.......0.0M*traveling*
    04/14........00M.......0.0M*traveling*
    04/15........09M.......0.0M
    04/16........10M.......0.0M
    04/17........00M.......0.0M
    04/18........11M.......0.0M

---MTD: 16.3 miles walking, 104 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019
    Hell Have No Hurry - June 2019 - Maybe

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

This. I ABSOLUTELY loved creme eggs, but now they are awful - an example of a company selling out for profit over taste. I actually never buy Cadbury anymore. We have a local brand called whittakers, which is silky, smooth,creamy without being too sweet.

I had to point out that I only earned 5.5 creme eggs this morning, im short so only burned 645 calories doing 10k haha

I have not had one in probably a decade or more... so I guess I have no idea what they taste like now.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I did not read the article, but was told by the instructor for this course that bites are often young males and typically hand or arm... because of obvious reasons. Leave the snake alone.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

HAH! :smiley:

I'm not saying anything about anyone's judgment, just noticed that 20 of 22 snake-bite deaths in the last decade were men. And one of the remaining two was an infant.

Oh, I have no doubt that men are more aggressive when dealing with snakes and therefore more likely to get bit, in general. I mean there are always exceptions, but really, it is no surprise. :)

Not a surprise at all - I was being a little cheeky in both of my earlier posts in case it didn't come across. ;) I'm just surprised that half the list isn't teenage boys. I actually didn't see any teenagers on there.

Most snake bites do not normally kill, but a smaller size (infants) definitely increases risk. Think about it this way: snakes deliver venom to kill prey (rodent-sized / rabbits). People are much bigger, so it should take much more venom to kill.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Poor Hobbes does look a little put out. Bless his heart. Elevation can definitely make a huge difference. So, count that run as a win. Looks like a beautiful place to run.

@katharmonic Great job with the rope climb! I don't think I could ever to that. I have zero upper body strength. Not sure why, but I never have. Even as a kid.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I didn't realize for a long time that there were different recipes used for the candies in the US vs Europe or well everywhere else (European version for the most part so much better!). I think the manufacturers always figured we Americans just wanted syrupy sweet candies. Maybe they took the US recipe and used it over there too? I was able to get a dark chocolate KitKat bar in Montreal and have never seen it in the US. Probably just as well because I won't eat the milk chocolate ones we have here.

ETA - this is also true for sodas like Coke and Pepsi. I don't drink them any more but I rememberer my daughter wanting to bring coke back from Mexico because 'it tasted so much better'