April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent It looks like a garter snake.

The house I grew up in had a nest full of them under an old stump, so they were everywhere in our yard as a kid. They were a little bit different, probably a different sub-species in Iowa, but still harmless.

That was my first thought, but I really do not know my snakes. :)

Me neither... but I know the 4 types of venomous snakes in North America. I figure that is the more important thing. When I got my Wilderness First Responder certification, I learned how to treat bites from those snakes. And 3 of the 4 types are treated the same way while the 4th is not a very common bite (because the snakes are so reclusive).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Saw this little guy out on my run today... almost stepped on him, he is well hidden! I kept my distance and used my zoom to take this shoot. He is harmless (not sure what kind though) but was obviously uncomfortable with my presence. So took the shoot and ran. :)
    8mi5d44ien71.jpg
    [/spolier]

Awww. I was pulling weeds today and found an Earth snake. He was about 4 inches long. 😊
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday @kgirlhart. The 5th decade is the best!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks @scott6255!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

The house I grew up in had a nest full of them under an old stump, so they were everywhere in our yard as a kid. They were a little bit different, probably a different sub-species in Iowa, but still harmless.

Me neither... but I know the 4 types of venomous snakes in North America. I figure that is the more important thing. When I got my Wilderness First Responder certification, I learned how to treat bites from those snakes. And 3 of the 4 types are treated the same way while the 4th is not a very common bite (because the snakes are so reclusive).

I was curious about the other three types as I could only think of rattlers, and found this article on recent fatal snakebites in the US. From a quick skim, it looks like the biggest risk factors for death-by-snakebite are 1) owning lots of venomous snakes, 2) trying to handle/kill a venomous snake, 3) not seeking medical attention after being bit by a venomous snake, and 4) being male.

HAH! :smiley:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Happy birthday @kgirlhart ! So good to improve as you get older!

I did stationary bike yesterday with my ankle wrapped, and this morning my ankle feels slightly better than yesterday, so that’s what I’ll be doing for cardio until my Achilles is pain free. I injured it a week ago today, and it’s still slightly tender when pinched. No pain when walking, no pain on calf raise, but if I try anything that has impact like bouncing, it instantly lets me know I shouldn’t do that. Stationary bike really isn’t as much fun as running. I managed 21 minutes (6 sets of intervals, 2 minutes hard, 1 minute really hard) before giving up from sheer boredom. My stationary bike philosophy is to work as hard as I can for as short a time period as I can.

I need to drag my rear to the gym so I can do some posterior chain exercises which don’t involve my Achilles, such as hip thrusts on the Smith machine, and back extensions. Heavy lifting every two days is really helpful for my glucose control, and although I’ve been doing upper body, I don’t want to do squats or deadlifts while injured. I’m thinking that since I had increased the weight on my squat-to-weighted-calf-raise right before this tendon freaked out, that may be a part of why it’s misbehaving. I’m going to try Romanian deadlifts with my knees slightly bent and see if I can do them without feeling pressure on my calf. Also maybe goblet squats on a box, with heels elevated.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I was curious about the other three types as I could only think of rattlers, and found this article on recent fatal snakebites in the US. From a quick skim, it looks like the biggest risk factors for death-by-snakebite are 1) owning lots of venomous snakes, 2) trying to handle/kill a venomous snake, 3) not seeking medical attention after being bit by a venomous snake, and 4) being male.

I'm not saying anything about anyone's judgment, just noticed that 20 of 22 snake-bite deaths in the last decade were men. And one of the remaining two was an infant. Actually, I'm a little surprised that there aren't more children and teenagers on the list, at least that I could see. It's all adults and infants.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

The trails where we run are in wetland near the Wolf River, and every year we see water moccasins. Also a common sight: well meaning grandmas with toddlers at the water’s edge dabbling in the river, once literally within feet of a water moccasin. Can’t count the number of times we have told people to please be careful since we JUST saw a snake in that water. Moccasins mostly won’t kill a healthy adult but will sure mess up your month, and might just kill a small child.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I'm not saying anything about anyone's judgment, just noticed that 20 of 22 snake-bite deaths in the last decade were men. And one of the remaining two was an infant.

Oh, I have no doubt that men are more aggressive when dealing with snakes and therefore more likely to get bit, in general. I mean there are always exceptions, but really, it is no surprise. :)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    4-1 rest
    4-2 7k easy
    4-3 7k easy
    4-4 rest
    4-5 7k easy/threshold
    4-6 11k easy
    4-7 7k recovery
    4-8 rest
    4-9 7k easy/threshold
    4-10 4k slow
    4-11 rest
    4-12 4k easy
    4-13 5k (Shine the Light)
    4-14 7k recovery
    4-15 rest
    4-16 7k slow
    4-17 7k easy/threshold
    4-18 rest

April Total: 80k
    April Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Happy birthday @kgirlhart. If you think the 50s are going to be good, wait until you get to the 60s!!!
    Scheduled rest day today. Golf and trout fishing as opposed to running.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K -- 31:12 chip time; First Place 65 and older
    6-1 Freedom 5K (Will be off the schedule due to another commitment)
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    01/04 1.73 miles
    02/04 3.42 miles
    03/04 3.24 miles
    04/04 2.37 miles
    05/04 3.51 miles
    06/04 3.22 miles
    07/04 2.78 miles
    08/04 2.08 miles
    09/04 3.22 miles
    10/04 3.24 miles
    11/04 2.23 miles
    12/04 1.04 miles - for the April Streak
    13/04 4.14 miles
    14/04 4.08 miles
    15/04 2.04 miles
    16/04 3.23 miles
    17/04 1.05 miles - another for the streak
    18/04 3.24 miles

exercise.png

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 Good Luck on the test! Have a safe trip!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Hmm. I wonder how much of the "being male" prong is because most women won't have the first 3 risk factors? And how much is related to the classic mating call, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Definitely! :smiley: