Arguments in the Supermarket

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have a 2 year old and a newborn, I haven’t been grocery shopping since my newborn came lmao. I have no idea how I’m gonna do it.

I remember switching to a store that had bigger carts so I could strap the baby carrier to the cart, and fit two toddlers into the seats.... with more straps. Lol still, timing was everything!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I plan meals for the next week or so and order online. No arguments.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Online shopping is my friend.

Helps me stick to my budget and I go through at the end before I finalise, and take out all those extras that I have put in the "trolley".
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I order online and pickup at the store.

It saves a LOT of impulse purchases. I can also add to my order throughout the week, as I realize I need things.

See they have this at my store but I’ll iffy about it because I feel like they’d forget something. What happens if they forget to put something in there and you go home and unpack and realize. How does that work?

I also order online and pick up at the store and have no arguments. Family members can add to the grocery list up until I start ordering the day before pickup day. Same day every week. If they don't tell me they want something then they can't really complain. I have a pretty firm budget. If the total is too high I start removing things from the cart and non-essentials are cut. I try to get things people want but sometimes we can only get one treat item not five.

I've been ordering the same store for quite awhile. Very, very rarely does the person mess up and not put an item in that I am charged for. Sometimes an exact item is not available and I am not charged for it. I select the option for the shopper to substitute items so they would usually sub an equivalant item if possible. I check the receipt in the parking lot against what I ordered before I leave to see if anything is missing. I have had it happen more often that I get home and realize that I got an item that I was not charged for than the other way around. Almost always everything is exactly what I ordered. If they made a mistake and charged me for something I did not get then I could let the store know. They have decent customer service. I have observed that they are more likely to make mistakes during a really busy holiday time rather than an ordinary week.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    I shop by myself, Aldi is to small for the chaos that is my family :D
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I shop with my husband or he shops alone. He's at least as good (probably better) at grocery shopping as I am, and it's something we enjoy doing together. Especially now that the kids don't have to tag along (having teenagers is good in some ways, at least :tongue: )

So, no arguments or drama for us. We see a few other couples shopping together, usually cute older couple, which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling for our future :smiley:

@pinuplove That was my wife and I :D

We are on the same page - my wife and I have the same mind set for shopping. Make a list, go get it and get out lol. We do well together :)
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    I shop on my own because I do 95% of the cooking and I like keeping track of our stocks. My husband is awful at shopping, in that he will only buy branded things for 2x/3x the price because he shops at eye-level only. He also buys ridiculous convenience foods for stupid amounts. He's a supermarket designer's dream shopper. When we moved in together and I took over the shopping his bills actually went DOWN because I shop frugally and sensibly. :D
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I shop with my husband or he shops alone. He's at least as good (probably better) at grocery shopping as I am, and it's something we enjoy doing together. Especially now that the kids don't have to tag along (having teenagers is good in some ways, at least :tongue: )

So, no arguments or drama for us. We see a few other couples shopping together, usually cute older couple, which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling for our future :smiley:

We are on the same page - my wife and I have the same mind set for shopping. Make a list, go get it and get out lol. We do well together :)

@Phirrgus I'll bet you don't have as many years on us as you're thinking, especially since he's 12 years older than me ;)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I did recently see a couple + teenage daughter in the supermarket checkout line ahead of us. I don't recall the argument exactly, but the father was berating the daughter loudly and publicly about not helping enough. The daughter's body language was completely closed and defiant, and the mother was checked out and might as well have been on another planet :frowning: Good way to guarantee you'll have no relationship with your children after they're grown. I hate to think what's said behind closed doors.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

@Phirrgus I'll bet you don't have as many years on us as you're thinking, especially since he's 12 years older than me ;)
    Maybe not :)
    I did recently see a couple + teenage daughter in the supermarket checkout line ahead of us. I don't recall the argument exactly, but the father was berating the daughter loudly and publicly about not helping enough. The daughter's body language was completely closed and defiant, and the mother was checked out and might as well have been on another planet :frowning: Good way to guarantee you'll have no relationship with your children after they're grown. I hate to think what's said behind closed doors.

I try not to think about it when I see things like that.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    I make a list and either hubby and I go together or he goes on his own. He's not picky and he never grabs junk, I can see it in his eyes sometimes he wants something but puts it back, so sometimes I will sneak it into the basket for him and he's so happy when he finds it lol! So no venting for me! I think it's harder when you have kids/picky eaters.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member

Wish my husband and I could go together. We use to when we moved in together and before our little ones. But now we have kids and he’s ALWAYS working. He’s in the military so when I get to see him it’s a miracle. We’d be taking the kids grocery shopping past midnight lmao. But that’s a good thing, I love when I see couples shopping together.