Arguments in the Supermarket

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This is what happens to me whenever I have more than 5 items at the self checkout.

r5aiqdgphez4.jpg

OMG yes....i accidently put my little bag with prescription meds on it yesterday when i was out...i think i broke the system...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I think they've changed the ones at my local store. They used to yell at me all the time. Now they're all like, "Yeah, whatever."
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I think they've changed the ones at my local store. They used to yell at me all the time. Now they're all like, "Yeah, whatever."

They do seem a little better about lighter items. I can set them in the bag now instead of chucking them in like I did before to get the scale to register. When I'm feeling mature, I would press them into the bag so the scale could register something.
  • abigailreynolds1
    abigailreynolds1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love shopping alone. However, I too have moved to the order online and pick up at store feature. Definitely keeps me from impulse buying.
  • KD0BIK
    KD0BIK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I'm just becoming a grumpy old man (and that's OK with me), but I truly despise when entire families go shopping together. There's really no need. Just this past weekend I noticed families....BIG families all shopping. Of course, really there's only one person who is doing the actual shopping...the rest are tagging along behind staring at their phones, fighting over who gets to sit in the cart and the rest are touching everything with the little germy hands. LOL

Yea...I order as much as possible online and pickup. However, I still go inside to purchase fruits/vegs and meats. I just don't trust someone else to pick the best items. When I have ordered meat online, they always give me items that are just about to expire.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    KD0BIK wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm just becoming a grumpy old man (and that's OK with me), but I truly despise when entire families go shopping together. There's really no need. Just this past weekend I noticed families....BIG families all shopping. Of course, really there's only one person who is doing the actual shopping...the rest are tagging along behind staring at their phones, fighting over who gets to sit in the cart and the rest are touching everything with the little germy hands. LOL

Yea...I order as much as possible online and pickup. However, I still go inside to purchase fruits/vegs and meats. I just don't trust someone else to pick the best items. When I have ordered meat online, they always give me items that are just about to expire.

I don't mind when people treat grocery shopping as a family activity, but I get annoyed when I see people with young kids at the grocery store at 10pm doing their shopping, and the kids are screaming because they're tired. Like, what.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who despises the self-checkout? If I have to ring up and bag my own stuff I should get a discount. I don't mind for a couple of things, but when I'm doing a large shop it's a serious pain and things won't ring up right and I can never find the code for the bag of ice I'm going to grab on the way out.

I tend to shop really early in the morning on Saturdays and none of the checkout lines are open, you have to use the self-checkout. Fortunately the cashier tending the self-checkout is very nice and does it for me. :)
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    KD0BIK wrote: »

I don't mind when people treat grocery shopping as a family activity, but I get annoyed when I see people with young kids at the grocery store at 10pm doing their shopping, and the kids are screaming because they're tired. Like, what.

10pm could be pushing it, but I will say that my toddler's bedtime and ability to handle activities like grocery shopping varies depending on how well he napped that day and his general desire to *kitten* with us. There have been times we thought he was wide awake and would do fine, then halfway through the store, MELTDOWN. Of course, this inevitably happens when my husband is price-comparing EVERY SINGLE TINY ITEM.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for grocery delivery. It stops me from impulse buying and I get to stick to my list. If it's not on my list then I don't buy it (usually!).
  • pinuplove
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Am I the only one who despises the self-checkout? If I have to ring up and bag my own stuff I should get a discount. I don't mind for a couple of things, but when I'm doing a large shop it's a serious pain and things won't ring up right and I can never find the code for the bag of ice I'm going to grab on the way out.

I tend to shop really early in the morning on Saturdays and none of the checkout lines are open, you have to use the self-checkout. Fortunately the cashier tending the self-checkout is very nice and does it for me. :)

This person extroverts.

I dislike talking to people more than I dislike using the self-checkout.

This. Also, I'm picky about how things are bagged. I love Aldi because I can have the best of both worlds. Their cashiers aren't chatty, and I get to bag my own food.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    I usually do the shopping for myself and my husband, but today I sent him with a list.
    I literally JUST got a call from him...no “hello”, just opened with “THE YOGURT AISLE IS AN F’ING JOKE!”

This is why I do the shopping.

Grocery shopping is a huuuge pain when you're new to it, haha. I get absolutely frustrated when all I do is switch stores because the layout is different and I can't find the bread or somethin'. In the new-ish Meijer they opened, the bakery section and the "regular" bread section are on two different sides of the store. What the heck.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    There is nothing quite as awesome as going shopping after work (also after picking your kids up from daycare). It's busy, the kids are exhausted and tired and crabby. I think I did it twice or so due to outside circumstances and then decided it would be better if we all just went home and ate whatever we could find in the house even if it was just stale soup crackers.

When I was little my mom did the grocery shopping. She HATED doing it, so her goal was to get out of the store with some food as fast as possible. Later in the week she'd find a can of asparagus or something and wonder where it had come from. What always happened was she'd fly by the canned food and frozen food so fast she'd grab something that had a picture on it that was the right color but not necessarily the right item. Thus canned asparagus instead of canned green beans or frozen spinach instead of frozen peas.
  • RelCanonical
    Options

This person extroverts.

This. Also, I'm picky about how things are bagged. I love Aldi because I can have the best of both worlds. Their cashiers aren't chatty, and I get to bag my own food.

I can't keep up with aldi scanners, lol. I just feel the pressure from them to hurry up. Could be that's just my aldi, though.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    There is nothing quite as awesome as going shopping after work (also after picking your kids up from daycare). It's busy, the kids are exhausted and tired and crabby. I think I did it twice or so due to outside circumstances and then decided it would be better if we all just went home and ate whatever we could find in the house even if it was just stale soup crackers.

When I was little my mom did the grocery shopping. She HATED doing it, so her goal was to get out of the store with some food as fast as possible. Later in the week she'd find a can of asparagus or something and wonder where it had come from. What always happened was she'd fly by the canned food and frozen food so fast she'd grab something that had a picture on it that was the right color but not necessarily the right item. Thus canned asparagus instead of canned green beans or frozen spinach instead of frozen peas.

I've had to go to the grocery store after picking up my son from daycare. On those days, I try to have a snack ready for him. Makes those trips much more bearable.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    At my local bag your own store, they often have high school kids volunteering to bag your groceries to raise money. I always feel like a crabby witch when I decline as I am super-picky about how things are bagged.
  • pinuplove
    Options

This person extroverts.

I can't keep up with aldi scanners, lol. I just feel the pressure from them to hurry up. Could be that's just my aldi, though.

They don't just throw it in the basket (sometimes a bit roughly, IMO) and leave you to the bagging shelf where you can bag at your leisure? Because they are SERIOUS about getting stuff scanned, for sure. One once told us they have a standard of items scanned per minute to meet, but that might be BS :lol: