Arguments in the Supermarket

Replies

• JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    kazminchu wrote: »
    I shop on my own because I do 95% of the cooking and I like keeping track of our stocks. My husband is awful at shopping, in that he will only buy branded things for 2x/3x the price because he shops at eye-level only. He also buys ridiculous convenience foods for stupid amounts. He's a supermarket designer's dream shopper. When we moved in together and I took over the shopping his bills actually went DOWN because I shop frugally and sensibly. :D

YES! This is my husband, he will only buy brand name (even if generic is several dollars cheaper and we KNOW it tastes the same.) Or buy tons of junk that he'll eat a little of and then the rest goes to waste. He rarely comes shopping with me, and when he does it's like having a toddler with me, "No honey we aren't buying 4 bags of chips this week, no we don't need 17 yogurts for one week." I spend $25+ more when he's with me!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Am I the only one who despises the self-checkout? If I have to ring up and bag my own stuff I should get a discount. I don't mind for a couple of things, but when I'm doing a large shop it's a serious pain and things won't ring up right and I can never find the code for the bag of ice I'm going to grab on the way out.

I tend to shop really early in the morning on Saturdays and none of the checkout lines are open, you have to use the self-checkout. Fortunately the cashier tending the self-checkout is very nice and does it for me. :)

This person extroverts.

I dislike talking to people more than I dislike using the self-checkout.

This. Also, I'm picky about how things are bagged. I love Aldi because I can have the best of both worlds. Their cashiers aren't chatty, and I get to bag my own food.

I can't keep up with aldi scanners, lol. I just feel the pressure from them to hurry up. Could be that's just my aldi, though.

They don't just throw it in the basket (sometimes a bit roughly, IMO) and leave you to the bagging shelf where you can bag at your leisure? Because they are SERIOUS about getting stuff scanned, for sure. One once told us they have a standard of items scanned per minute to meet, but that might be BS :lol:

No, they have a little spot where they plop all the stuff in mine. Perhaps I should just pretend I'm entering Europe when I go in and I'll tolerate it better "because it's just a foreign custom" lol.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Am I the only one who despises the self-checkout? If I have to ring up and bag my own stuff I should get a discount. I don't mind for a couple of things, but when I'm doing a large shop it's a serious pain and things won't ring up right and I can never find the code for the bag of ice I'm going to grab on the way out.

I tend to shop really early in the morning on Saturdays and none of the checkout lines are open, you have to use the self-checkout. Fortunately the cashier tending the self-checkout is very nice and does it for me. :)

This person extroverts.

This. Also, I'm picky about how things are bagged. I love Aldi because I can have the best of both worlds. Their cashiers aren't chatty, and I get to bag my own food.

I can't keep up with aldi scanners, lol. I just feel the pressure from them to hurry up. Could be that's just my aldi, though.

If you look at their products there are huge barcodes on almost every side so cashiers can scan faster. No need to flip things around looking for a barcode. But at mine they throw things in baskets so fast they don't give me time to get my stuff before the next person's stuff comes flying in.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited April 2019

This person extroverts.

Aldi has spoiled me-whenever I go somewhere else now I mentally time the cashier :D I can't stand chatty clerks, drives me nuts! Exchanging of pleasantries is one thing but I do not want to have to explain the items in my cart, nor do I care about your boyfriend/grand kids/dog. Aldi clerks get me in and out of the checkout area in 2 minutes flat, love them so much <3:#
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    I just want to say that I'm terrified of running into people I know at the grocery store. I'm the definition of awkward turtle and nothing is more awkward than trying to say hello and make short conversation with a work colleague that you're not really friends with but are on somewhat nice terms with. I'm just awkward in general.

I’m the same way, I don’t know how to short conversate and I have a terrible memory so whenever people I use to work with come up or old friends and I don’t remember I stare blankly because I have no idea who it is and they’re like you remember me? I’m like no sorry. So it makes it all the more awkward.

I have a theory that really shy people suffer from some kind of psychological disability remembering faces and names, and it just kind of builds on itself. It’s truly a “thing”.

I got stopped by a woman today who greeted me warmly, and I was absolutely frozen. I mean I went total Deer in the Headlights. I couldn’t remember if she was the director of the museum I’ve volunteered at for years, or a neighbor who is in a group I see fairly often. It’s even worse trying to keep men straight. At least women have relatively consistent hairdos to identify them.

It’s like absolute social paralysis. I live in fear of sticking my foot in my mouth because I’m always calling people I know well by the wrong name, or worrying “was that so and so I just walked past, will they think I’m snubbing them if I don’t say something”, and by the time I’ve decided either the moment is past or it IS the wrong person.

It’s like Name & Face Dyslexia.

And my husband, bless his heart, is even worse than me. Thank God we found one another!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited April 2019
    I just want to say that I'm terrified of running into people I know at the grocery store. I'm the definition of awkward turtle and nothing is more awkward than trying to say hello and make short conversation with a work colleague that you're not really friends with but are on somewhat nice terms with. I'm just awkward in general.

I’m the same way, I don’t know how to short conversate and I have a terrible memory so whenever people I use to work with come up or old friends and I don’t remember I stare blankly because I have no idea who it is and they’re like you remember me? I’m like no sorry. So it makes it all the more awkward.

I have a theory that really shy people suffer from some kind of psychological disability remembering faces and names, and it just kind of builds on itself. It’s truly a “thing”.

I got stopped by a woman today who greeted me warmly, and I was absolutely frozen. I mean I went total Deer in the Headlights. I couldn’t remember if she was the director of the museum I’ve volunteered at for years, or a neighbor who is in a group I see fairly often. It’s even worse trying to keep men straight. At least women have relatively consistent hairdos to identify them.

It’s like absolute social paralysis. I live in fear of sticking my foot in my mouth because I’m always calling people I know well by the wrong name, or worrying “was that so and so I just walked past, will they think I’m snubbing them if I don’t say something”, and by the time I’ve decided either the moment is past or it IS the wrong person.

And my husband, bless his heart, is even worse than me. Thank God we found one another!

Seriously, it must be why I hate it. Just a couple weeks ago, I was walking in the mall and someone called out my name. I turned around and they were a bit far away but should have been close enough to recognize. It took me a minute and I recognized them more by their voice than how they looked. It was my coworker, who I had just been talking to MINUTES before I left to go walk at the mall. Seriously, I'm horrible with faces out of context. It's always the other person who recognizes me.
  • springlering62
    Anyway back to topic.

Two things for me. My husband is a retired market research manager for a large beverage company. Going shopping with him is torture. One of his jobs was to study the competitors packaging and why they chose certain new designs, sizing (different areas of the country prefer different sizes of his product, believe it or not), display designs etc. So he likes to take his time in the store seeing what’s up in product packaging. He’s like an old woman in an antiques market who has to stop and look at everything, pick it up, look it over. Seriously!!!!!!

Lidl just opened up a store near us which is OMG amazing, right down to the European style bakery in the front with REAL soft German pretzels. They are open bins and you are supposed to pick the things out want up with wax paper tissues.

I wanted to publicly out the woman with the runny nosed snot fingered kid who was grabbing cookies out of the bin. She would scream at him “put that down!” So he would, and then he’d pick up another one, and repeat, repeat. By the time he got done, he had fingered every daggone cookie in the bin and half the pretzels and they walked off buying nothing.

So I buy only from the highest bins now, and even then it still gives me a public grossness check.
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    To avoid the children meltdowns my husband and I either shop together when the kids are at school or one of us goes with a shopping list. He's pretty good about getting only what is on the list, I try to meal plan as best as possible with 3 picky children and an two indecisive adults lol
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    kazminchu wrote: »
    I shop on my own because I do 95% of the cooking and I like keeping track of our stocks. My husband is awful at shopping, in that he will only buy branded things for 2x/3x the price because he shops at eye-level only. He also buys ridiculous convenience foods for stupid amounts. He's a supermarket designer's dream shopper. When we moved in together and I took over the shopping his bills actually went DOWN because I shop frugally and sensibly. :D

YES! This is my husband, he will only buy brand name (even if generic is several dollars cheaper and we KNOW it tastes the same.) Or buy tons of junk that he'll eat a little of and then the rest goes to waste. He rarely comes shopping with me, and when he does it's like having a toddler with me, "No honey we aren't buying 4 bags of chips this week, no we don't need 17 yogurts for one week." I spend $25+ more when he's with me!

Lmao this is my husband as well. He only buys brand name too. Wonder if it’s like a majority of a man thing. When my husband and I went grocery shopping we spent 600-700 but now that I go by myself I spend 250 lmao.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member

Yeah I don’t know if it’s like a spur the moment amnesia where I’m like caught off guard and my brain just shuts down or I truly don’t know who it is. Lmao I stand there all awkward. I actually seen a girl that I Use to be extremely close with. We seen each other everyday, we knew every aspect of each other’s life and we worked together too. A year later after I quit my job she walks up to me and says “hey Ricki! It’s been so long.” And I’m standing there like how does this stranger know my name. But after staring blankly for an awkward minute and asked if I remembered her I replied no and she reintroduced herself and I remembered her but now the conversation was really awkward so I was slowly try to scoot away lol.
  • springlering62
    “Faces out of context”

@RelCanonical OMG! THIS!!!!!!!! I’ve started lying and blaming it on poor eyesight. It’s crippling. It’s like being in a bad sitcom, praying some little light of inspiration will hit, or that they’ll greet me first so I’ll know it’s them. We’re adjacent to a historical district where everyone walks to dinner, gym, yoga, shops or walks their dog. It’s just fraught with peril every time I step out the door. Little social landmines everywhere.

@rickiimarieee I feel ya, hon.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

This person extroverts.

They don't just throw it in the basket (sometimes a bit roughly, IMO) and leave you to the bagging shelf where you can bag at your leisure? Because they are SERIOUS about getting stuff scanned, for sure. One once told us they have a standard of items scanned per minute to meet, but that might be BS :lol:

At my Aldi they just toss it in the basket too.

As for the items per minute "goals" I'd imagine that's probably true. I worked as a cashier in a supermarket during college (not Aldi) and we had to meet a certain number of items/minute and they posted everyone's "average" weekly. I was always second to this super tall (6'2"?) lady and then the other cashiers were well below me...leading me to think arm reach played a huge role (I'm 5'8" and most of the others were quite short). Strange. I have heard they do this in Walmart and other stores too.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

This is me, too! I completely blank out on faces and names, and I've been like that all my life! We should start a club - we could wear nametags :) I really hate it, it makes me feel rude and stupid.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I have a small confession - I always assume people are rude, mean, or lying when they don't remember me or don't remember someone else. This thread has truly opened my eyes and I swear I am going to think twice about this after realizing that it's "a thing" to not remember someone you went to school with for 9 years in a row albeit ages ago or worked with in 2012. :#
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member

This person extroverts.

I like using self-serve so I don't have to talk with anyone. It peeves me when the person manning the area tries to start a conversation.
  • springlering62
    One time I didn’t recognize someone I had dinner with the night before. I guess it’s an anxiety attack? And in no way trying to be mean or rude. I would be kind and call it a brain fart, but it’s more like an instantaneous, paralyzing implosion of all grey matter. I don’t mean to wish ill on others, but I’m really relieved to hear that others admit to it, too. It’s scary thinking you’re the only one.

Except for that poor husband of mine. We are a pair! Thirty years in the same house with the same neighbors, and he never could remember their names. I had to refer to neighbors as “yellow door”, “frog statue”, “jerk”, and “carpool”. I’m just grateful he remembers MY name!
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member

You are not alone. I shop at off peak hours and avoid the very popular stores and you'll never see me in a supermarket on Saturday mornings. Plus I don't always recognize people out of context (hmm this face looks familiar. And it's someone I see like every day at work)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited April 2019
    My husband is an awesome shopper. I text him the list and he either gets exactly what is on it or he calls/texts me if he is unsure about anything. It’s one benefit of him being divorced and on his own for many years (cooking and shopping for himself) before he met me. We also like to go shopping together. We use a list, get what's on the list, and get out. Many times he’s reminded me we need something I forgot to put on the list.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I have a small confession - I always assume people are rude, mean, or lying when they don't remember me or don't remember someone else. This thread has truly opened my eyes and I swear I am going to think twice about this after realizing that it's "a thing" to not remember someone you went to school with for 9 years in a row albeit ages ago or worked with in 2012. :#

I once forgot my best friend's name for an entire day.