Arguments in the Supermarket

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    I just want to say that I'm terrified of running into people I know at the grocery store. I'm the definition of awkward turtle and nothing is more awkward than trying to say hello and make short conversation with a work colleague that you're not really friends with but are on somewhat nice terms with. I'm just awkward in general.

I’m the same way, I don’t know how to short conversate and I have a terrible memory so whenever people I use to work with come up or old friends and I don’t remember I stare blankly because I have no idea who it is and they’re like you remember me? I’m like no sorry. So it makes it all the more awkward.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    I make a list and either hubby and I go together or he goes on his own. He's not picky and he never grabs junk, I can see it in his eyes sometimes he wants something but puts it back, so sometimes I will sneak it into the basket for him and he's so happy when he finds it lol! So no venting for me! I think it's harder when you have kids/picky eaters.

Awh lol this is cute. I use to do this for my dad when me and my parents went grocery shopping lmao. I’d always take the blame for sneaking it into the cart but my mom knew why so she didn’t mind. She always pretended to be shocked when she found it in the cart and my dad would whistle and look the other way lmao.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    I just want to say that I'm terrified of running into people I know at the grocery store. I'm the definition of awkward turtle and nothing is more awkward than trying to say hello and make short conversation with a work colleague that you're not really friends with but are on somewhat nice terms with. I'm just awkward in general.

Running into random people is pretty much my life all the time. I live in what feels like the smallest big city ever. I feel bad for people that have exes here.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I shop with my husband or he shops alone. He's at least as good (probably better) at grocery shopping as I am, and it's something we enjoy doing together. Especially now that the kids don't have to tag along (having teenagers is good in some ways, at least :tongue: )

So, no arguments or drama for us. We see a few other couples shopping together, usually cute older couple, which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling for our future :smiley:

Wish my husband and I could go together. We use to when we moved in together and before our little ones. But now we have kids and he’s ALWAYS working. He’s in the military so when I get to see him it’s a miracle. We’d be taking the kids grocery shopping past midnight lmao. But that’s a good thing, I love when I see couples shopping together.

I remember those days. It's just a season in your life :smile: Plenty of time to shop together later!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited April 2019

Quit twinning me! When alone, I will dodge down a different aisle when I spot someone I know (even if I like them). When with my friendly husband, I stand there and smile awkwardly while he chats like a normal person.

Oh god, isn't it the worst! The absolute worst was when I kept running into an old coworker from a previous job (that he had also left), and he kept saying how he wanted to hang out with a few of us from that job, one of which was a woman that I HATED. I would just smile and nod and go "uh huh" and then pray he wouldn't actually text us about it (and he didn't, thank goodness).

I stopped going to that store.
  • pinuplove
    2 people find my aisle-dodging inspiring? :lol:
  • RelCanonical
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    I shop by myself, Aldi is to small for the chaos that is my family :D

Long ago I went shopping with my gf and her three small children. I told her next time I would just stay home with them and let her shop :lol:

There is some level of hell where you have to go grocery shopping with toddlers over and over again, I'm sure of it.

Hungry toddlers with grabby hands and snot.
  • RelCanonical
    2 people find my aisle-dodging inspiring? :lol:

I have no clue who the other person is but I like to "inspire" things I find funny, lol. Like just isn't enough.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    people who use self-checkout to 100+ items (i kid you not, saw this over the weekend at the grocery store)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I do the main shopping by myself on the weekend. My OH is good about picking up random things. (We both work from home so planning ahead is less needed.) He could be choosier with produce, but other than that, it's been great.
  • RelCanonical
    people who use self-checkout to 100+ items (i kid you not, saw this over the weekend at the grocery store)

People have a lot of gall, I swear. I roll through with like, 22 items (20 item limit) if it's not busy at the self-checkout. People are so bad about it that I've suffered comments from cashiers about how small my haul is even though it's over the limit for self-checkout.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    worst supermarket trip ever...

I was on holiday with the in laws. I am one of those people that doesn't buy anything unless I know what I'm going to make with it, at home I always plan my menu and make a list before shopping. My in laws just grab stuff that they think looks good. This is why when they went home at the end of the week and we stayed on another week we were eating up all the stuff they bought but never ate...

No arguments though... because I know better than to question or criticize my mother in law ;)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

People have a lot of gall, I swear. I roll through with like, 22 items (20 item limit) if it's not busy at the self-checkout. People are so bad about it that I've suffered comments from cashiers about how small my haul is even though it's over the limit for self-checkout.

mine has NO limit...unfortunately - anything over 15 items and i'm probably going to go through a check-out line
  • RelCanonical

mine has NO limit...unfortunately - anything over 15 items and i'm probably going to go through a check-out line

Oh my. There's one store in my area that has a no limit self-checkout, but it's small (they only have two regular checkout lines) and for reasons stated above, I don't go to that store anymore, lol.
  • pinuplove

Or people who try to use it but wouldn't know what a bar code was if it bit them in the *kitten*.