WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    janet insightful post about stress eating, thank you for that.

Allie <3 your DFIL is lucky to have you by his side, you are a special loved one.

Heading home today counting blessings all the way. Feeling very nostalgic about everything and couldn’t sleep until I wrote Rachel a letter and slipped it into her backpack. Today will be a low mileage day for me, but I’ll get right back to moving more as soon as I unpack my bags!

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    It was a productive weekend, too, including the usual mowing and trimming of the acreage around the house. There was a hummock of ground in the back yard that was too steep to take the riding mower over. So, my husband pulled out the rotor-tiller (FAR too heavy for me to handle) and tilled it up for me, and we planted the 65 gladiolus bulbs that I bought on a whim right there... Those should make a nice bright spot of summer blooms, and be visible from the kitchen window.

We also stopped on the way home from grocery shopping at a new plant farm. I bought three coleus, one of my favorite decorative plants. Got those planted in a spot at the front of the house. He also got replacement tomato plants and jalapenos, as the last frost killed his.

And yesterday, we were able to take a lovely drive up country to Devil's Den National Park. It's only about a half hour from our house, but we took the long way around going up. Love the Ozarks--these winding mountain roads are so satisfying--the redbuds are just starting to fade, and the dogwoods are in full bloom. They both grow wild here, and are around every corner, tucked into every forest, and it's all forest!

q0qb1adw8nxg.jpg

Welcome to the new ones, we're glad you're here! Stay, chat, ask questions or answer them, we're happy to have you with us.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Beautiful spot and nice to hear about the gardening. :)

We've had so much more gardening going on at our place in the past year than ever before because my husband has been home to do the gardening.

M in Oz

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Pic from the speakers balcony, is capitol

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I took a bad fall while walking home with Philip from a new taproom opening in town. (I was stone sober.) My toe caught on a bit of uneven pavement and I went down hard right onto my face. Knocked a couple of teeth lose, scraped up my face, and sprained my right thumb and right knee. I'm slowly recovering but the worst part about it was emotional... the other times I've broken myself like that I was at least doing something interesting. Not so much this time, and it made me feel like an old woman.

The last few days I'm fighting for motivation too, but I'll pull myself together.

"Good night, good night. Parting is such sweet sorrow
    That I shall say good night till it be morrow."

-Yvonne in TX

So sorry to hear this!!

• Machka9
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    DH has been a trooper on this trip. He never complains or asks for anything, so when the opportunity presented to upgrade our Hoover Dam tour to a helicopter, I couldn't resist. The last time we took a helicopter together was for our honeymoon on Kauai, 31 years ago. Good fun, and a great memory made.

Rori
    Currently in Las Vegas

01eok4ileyqn.jpg

What fun!

I don't think I could do it right this minute, but would like to do something like it one day.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    33808949828_6499677bfd_z.jpgOceanView_Medium by Machka, on Flickr
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    With your feed back and from other dear friends I believe the letter is ready to be sent off to key people including the police. There I do need to give more details for others I need to protect son's privacy. My goal is to have the letters ready by Saturday to send them certified mail.

I hope you too consider using the deescalating initiative that Minneapolis Police Department is starting in their department. I think they are beginning to realize too many police officers and civilians are getting injured and killed using the warrior training method.

After witnessing how my son's arrest( I will give where and when here do not want to publish it here for privacy. The police will need this information) was handled I am in favor of the deescalating method.

Our son was being picked up on a warrant for missing a Mental Health Court date. Even though the Mental Health court had issued the warrant they were calling for police back up in a non emergency situation because they realized our son’s mental health was deteriorating. Their intention was not to arrest him but to get the medical help he needed.

If our son was threatening someone or destroying property I could see the police using the actions they took. He was asleep in his bed. The officers behavior aggravated the situation. I witnessed son repeatedly asking why he was being arrested. When the charges were read to him in court the judge issued a rule 20 meaning he is incapable of understanding the charges brought.

What I do not understand is why he was not taken to the hospital for evaluation then place an officer outside his door because of the warrant. Instead he was taken to jail where his mental state only disintegrated further. and underlined

When things escalated to the degree I witnessed I worried an officer and our son would get hurt. Our son was hurt. He was tased twice. Our son lashed out at the officers because he felt threatened. Our son was traumatized by this experience.

I ask you to review what happened not to issue any apology or reprimand to any one rather to find other ways to deescalate encounters to prevent anyone from getting hurt.

I am writing to you so hopefully better procedures will be implemented if police need to be involved with helping a mentally ill person. By thinking deescalate an encounter as an objective everyone involved is less likely to be harmed …the police, our sons and daughters, and society as a whole. These are goals I I believe we can all agree…
    -Creating RESPECT
    -Creating a SAFE PLACE
    -Creating KINDNESS
    I look forward to hearing from you about my concerns...Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter.

Thank you,

Margaret
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Rory, great choice to do the helicopter tour. I love the picture of the two of you in front of the helicopter in the sunshine. My DH is from four corners area and I love our visits to visit his stomping grounds.

On eating choices, I know every bite is a choice and some days making a good choice is challenging and sometimes it’s easier. I’ve noticed sugar has crept back into my diet this Easter week. Think I better pay attention.

Barbara, love Joe’s choice of breakfast plate. There’s maybe hope for my DH. He loves his bacon sausage etc. He pokes fun at my meatless breakfasts and meals. What magic words did you use? :-)

Betsy in NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,825 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Joyce Meyer she is a bible teacher- evangelist that speaks right to you.. not all those crazy ones on t.v. she tells it like it is.. very inspirational..going to see her in Albany the weekend of May 17-18 .. pre paid for hotel..and if I know my DFIL that will be the exact time he decides to leave lol.. that's Otto in a nutshell.. I just love that man.. only got the ice cream with meds in him this morning.. going to pick up some canned spaghetti that can easily be chopped up to see if he might eat that tonight... yes that is my morning routine get my cup of tea and watch Joyce.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ydailey wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I took a bad fall while walking home with Philip from a new taproom opening in town. (I was stone sober.) My toe caught on a bit of uneven pavement and I went down hard right onto my face. Knocked a couple of teeth lose, scraped up my face, and sprained my right thumb and right knee. I'm slowly recovering but the worst part about it was emotional... the other times I've broken myself like that I was at least doing something interesting. Not so much this time, and it made me feel like an old woman.

The last few days I'm fighting for motivation too, but I'll pull myself together.

"Good night, good night. Parting is such sweet sorrow
    That I shall say good night till it be morrow."

-Yvonne in TX

So sorry to hear this!!

Wowzers, just read this too. So sorry!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    Options
    Rori - wonderful picture that you will treasure always. <3

NYKAREN - You two look so great! You are doing a good job with maintenance. Must be all that walking!

This pm I went out with DH to run/shuffle 7k. Made it! :D:D:D The longest I have ever run. So proud of myself. At least now I will have enough calories for pizza. (I did my normal 600 this morning + the 469 I burnt on my run)
    The pizzas are the thin, dry kind. :D Not the big fat ones. :laugh:

I squirted my nostrils before I went out. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I hope you feel better soon & htat the nasal spray did a good job allowing you to rest. :flowerforyou:

Yvonne: I am so sorry about your fall. I hope you heal quickly. :star:

(((Carol))) Sorry to hear about your leg and also about your BnL. :heart:

Irish Terri: I love your poem! :bigsmile:

Ginny: Impressive walking! WTG!!!

Rori: You and your DH look like you’re having a wonderful time. :heart:

Ginger: I love your gratitudes list. It is a wonderful idea. :flowerforyou:

Janetr: I love your insights on stress eating. Thanks! :smiley:

Barbara: thanks for your good luck wishes for the road trip. I have my fingers crossed, too. :star:

Margaret: Great letter. I hope they take it to heart and put it into action. :heart:

Machka: Stay warm and enjoy the storm that may come if you can.

DH is awake, and I’m going to have coffee with him. Have a great day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Options
    Rori - wonderful picture that you will treasure always. <3

NYKAREN - You two look so great! You are doing a good job with maintenance. Must be all that walking!

This pm I went out with DH to run/shuffle 7k. Made it! :D:D:D The longest I have ever run. So proud of myself. At least now I will have enough calories for pizza. (I did my normal 600 this morning + the 469 I burnt on my run)
    The pizzas are the thin, dry kind. :D Not the big fat ones. :laugh:

I squirted my nostrils before I went out. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Just remember to limit the spray to 3 or 4 days. It should say on the info sheet.

It is really easy to keep using that stuff because you feel like you can breathe well for the first time in ages. And before you know it ... it's incredibly difficult to stop using it.

Be careful.

Meanwhile congrats on 7 km!!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Lisa I love Celtic Women! Would love to see them in concert.

Heather I noticed your daughter-in-law has a new book coming out called The Imposter Cure. I can't wait to read it! She is brilliant.

Rori & NYKAREN Those photos of you with family members are uplifting and inspiring. You both look fabulous.

Machka, Heather, Yvonne, Carol, and all else in various stages of healing Hoping all of you are 100% soon!

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    NY Karen ~ Sounds like you had a lovely visit with your daughter. So happy for you! :)

Rori ~ You and you husband make such a handsome couple. So glad you are able to get him to enjoy the adventures you are taking. You are doing a great job of trying to keep both your lives balanced.

Lisa ~ I love Celtic women.

This morning I am trying to figure out BnL's bills and how to pay them. Evidently he pays by check through a bank. Big question is, "What bank?"

Carol in GA

If I recall his cheques should say which bank ... but I haven't seen a cheque in about 12 years so I could be wrong.

Or can you pay at the post office? That's one option here as long as we have the bill and account info. I had to do that when my husband went into hospital last year because I didn't know how things were being paid.

M in Oz