An intellect rivaled only by garden tools

Options
12346»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    my cousin just posted on facebook that the car she has had for 2 years has remote start and she never noticed...And she is a very smart woman. It happens to all of us.

My dad also has an electronic no hands key like I do, and has for some years, but until I told him earlier this year (he was worrying that it was getting flaky sometimes and that he didn't know what he'd do if it didn't work), he didn't realize that there is also a traditional regular key contained in the fob. My dad is an engineer.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    my cousin just posted on facebook that the car she has had for 2 years has remote start and she never noticed...And she is a very smart woman. It happens to all of us.

My dad also has an electronic no hands key like I do, and has for some years, but until I told him earlier this year (he was worrying that it was getting flaky sometimes and that he didn't know what he'd do if it didn't work), he didn't realize that there is also a traditional regular key contained in the fob. My dad is an engineer.

my juke has a key in the fob to open the door but there is no ignition to put it in. you pop the cover off and its empty. guess the original owners didn't spring for the "extras".
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Wow, like I said I haven't gotten a car since 2008 (although my dad's is newer and has one), so I didn't know an ignition is now an "extra."
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My car has no place for a key, just a button that will start the car as long as the fob is somewhere inside the car (like inside my purse). Similarly, as long as the fob is near the car, the car door will open when I touch the door handle. No need to push a button on the fob first. It’s cool.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    lalabank wrote: »
    I kept checking the clock on my phone realizing I was going to be late for an appointment while I was running around the house looking for my phone so I could leave.

Haha.

On similar note, every time my wristwatch gets put into jewellers for new battery and they say will be ready in, say, 15 minutes - so I wander around shopping centre for a while and then go to check my watch to see if 15 minutes is up yet. :s
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    My car has no place for a key, just a button that will start the car as long as the fob is somewhere inside the car (like inside my purse). Similarly, as long as the fob is near the car, the car door will open when I touch the door handle. No need to push a button on the fob first. It’s cool.

Yeah, that's what my dad and I both have, but in both of our cars the fob contains (folded up inside so it's not noticeable) a key that you can use as a backup, should the batteries in the fob go out (I had to get mine replaced once, like I said 2008 car).

When I first got the fob, I would constantly forget about it when I'd try to hand off the car for valet parking, and the valet would have to remind me I needed to take it out of my purse and give it to him (or stick it in the spot for it in the car).
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    if the battery dies in the fob you can hold it to the start button and it will start. not sure how it works with no battery but its saved me before.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    if the battery dies in the fob you can hold it to the start button and it will start. not sure how it works with no battery but its saved me before.

Btw, perfect for this thread, I am a total idiot. I just drove my car and realized my car doesn't have an key ignition -- what I was thinking of is the place where you can fit in the fob. I usually don't but leave it in my purse, but if it's getting weak it still works there.

The issue I had in the past (and what my dad was worried about) is it not working for the door, even when you took it out and hit the open button (usually it's always just in my purse). What I showed him is that there's also a traditional key -- at least in ours -- that can be used on the doors.