what would you do with 36 million? be honest

Options
12346»

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Put it in the bank and dish out the interest between myself and other people I like.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    pay off any debt my family members have. Buy myself a house right on the water somewhere warm, that has a spot for the yacht I'd be buying. Then just sail around the world
  • dru8376
    dru8376 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would pay everything off that I owe, buy a house and save a some of it.

Then, I would visit everyone one of my friends on MFP to personally thank them with a hug or handshake for being my friend.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My brother and i talked about this while ago, his dreams were totally crazy and he made fun of mine.
    i said i would get a new bank account just for bills and put about 5 million in it and then set all my bills to be automatically taken from this account so i never had to worry about it again, including but not limited to water, insurance, registration, PG&E, phone, dish, internet.
    i would make another account and add up my retirement money, as in how much i would put in if i put in the max amount until i was old enough to take it out, i would then put that amount in the account and set that up for automatic payment as well.
    i would stock up on dog food, enough to last a good 8-10 years, and store it in a 40ft container that i would purchase, so i never had to worry about that, ever.
    i would tare down my house, higher a contractor to come in and level out most of my property, and rebuild a custom shop, to replace the one that was torn down, and build a custom home, nothing fancy just big enough for a small family, i would custom landscape the yard, and after that i would put away about 5 million for land taxes on my property, or however much it would take to cover the cost for the rest of my life and a future child's life.
    i would give maybe 5 million to my investor.
    and the rest i would just keep, probably dish some out to my dad and brother, but other then that i would just have it on hand for trips, and random things we want to get.
    i would still work full time, and so would my husband. other then never having to worry about money again and having semi nicer things, im a very practical person and wouldnt just blow it on any old stupid thing.
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    sell my store, get out of here, throw a huge going away party and find a bunch of women to travel the world with to try new, fun and exciting things ;)
  • traceealves
    traceealves Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh I have had this planned out for as long as I have been playing the lotto......first thing pay off all debt get my credit to perfect just to be able to say I have good credit! Second buy a house, new cars for everyone in my family. Then I would have a catered dinner event at a beautiful winery overlooking the vineyards with all my close friends and family. At the beginning of the night I would have them pick a destination they have always wanted to go and write it on a card. At the end of the night we would read them off and all vote on a trip that I would pay for us all to take together. THEN while we are on vacation at the end of the trip I would give them all a significant amount of money to do whatever they wanted with. Anything left over would be invested so we can be set for life and then I would retire and travel and my "job" would be setting up charity events and donate to good causes for children and animals......oh and of course I may get a little nip and tuck for myself and a personal chef and trainer would not hurt. :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Pay off all my debt, all of my parents debt, lend out 1-2 million to each of my close friends (only a handful of them). Invest the majority and open a hardcore gym. I'm not flashy so i wouldn't want to outwardly promote my baller status.
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What would I do with 36 million? Hmm...

1. 10% goes to church and charities, off top.
    2. I'd take the next 6-8 months to send myself to some kind of intensive health and fitness camp, a la Extreme Weight Loss Style, where I can focus 100% on just trying to finally get the weight off and getting my body in tip top shape. And if at the end of it I have tons of hanging skin like the folks on the show, I'd be getting it all removed, along with a boob lift.
    3. Get Sallie Mae off my back, as well as any other consumer debt I owe and my mortgage.
    4. Pay off my parent's bills and my closest family and friends' expenses too.
    5. I've thought about this for a while, as I'm trying to get my health in order - I'd love to partner with a large franchise of gyms (something popular like LA Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness with many locations) to set up a "gym scholarship" - some type of financial assistance to underprivileged, poorer communities that may not be able to afford a gym membership and obesity is rampant. I want to help people with the obesity crisis, beginning with erasing the excuse of not having enough money to work out - and for a while, money was an issue for me too due to being unable to find a job a few years ago. And some parts of town are not safe enough to walk around by myself, so this would give a safe place for people who are serious about taking control of their health. I'd include the cost of the onsite childcare - taking away the excuse that they need to find a babysitter to work out. And I'd make it a requirement to meet with a trainer twice a month for counseling, measurements, and fitness sessions for them to continue in the program. It would also be a requirement that program participants "pay it forward" by getting involved in encouraging people in their local community to eat healthier and get fit. Please everyone, don't steal my idea, lol...
    6. Finally buy that beach house in Puerto Rico that I've always wanted.
    7. Invest in my business as a contract instructional designer.
    8. Don't want to work on another degree, but I would like to work on a few professional certificates, like the CompTIA CTT+.
    9. Travel all around the world, maybe spend a few months in Asia and Europe.
    10. Write a book.
    11. Invest the rest, however much that is. If it happened that I spent it all on the gym scholarship idea, I would not be upset. It would make me feel good knowing that I helped people get healthier. :smile:
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    1- give a decent amount to my parents, sister, grandparents, charites support
    2- buy a nicer condo (an office/workout room would be nice, a nice courtyard)
    3-buy a more fuel efficient car (hybrid maybe)
    4- get a phd
    5-get boobs and other beauty things
    6-shopping spree
    7- travel more
    8- put the rest in the bank and use the interest to supplement the income I'll make after getting my phd and getting the best job in the world
  • MrJimmies
    MrJimmies Posts: 113
    Options
    Well I would invest it right away and buy a home for me and my parents. I would also use it to convince Jessica Alba to sleep with me since I had a crush on her for years.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a big hunk of Ozark land. Then live there until I died.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Take care of all our personal financial obligations first (mortgage, debts, etc.).

I'd love to take some of the rest and build a dream home, a place customized just for our family that could be passed on to my son and his children later on. The rest I'd invest and build an estate from.

Oh, and I'd have a beautiful handbag collection and a killer wardobe.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Pay off debt first, then with the remaining $35M...

1) Aston Martin Vanquish, Eleanor, and a couple old street rods (with more collected on interest payments as we go)...and a large, industrial-sized space to house them in my "ultimate garage" (like Jay Leno, etc)
    2) A very secluded cabin somewhere in the Rockies or Cascades, near a rocky river, with view of the mountains.
    3) Sell our lovely house overlooking the Puget Sound for a lovely house ON the Puget Sound....with a deep water dock for....
    4) A used 36'-40' motor yacht to cruise the Pacific Northwest (name: Naut on Call)
    5) Open my own medispa, and staff it such that I only have to work when I want to, in between cruises....because I'm NOT ON CALL!
    6) Invest in commercial real estate for income
    7) Give to animal / nature charities
    8) Pay off family debt (which won't take much...I'm the only sucker with it)
    9) Buy my hubby Patriots / Red Sox season tickets for life....and fly us home for games :)
    10) Invest the other $25M and never worry about REALLY working again
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    First would set up a savings account for each child with 1 million in it (4 kids, so 4 million off the top). They would gain access to this when they choose and started attending a collage. All costs for the school would come from this fund, tuition, dorm, food, books, a small stipend for clothes and other essentials. When they get a 4 year degree they can either choose to take the remaining in the account, but are not allowed to take the interest, or continue their schooling. Upon completion of an 8 year degree, or two 4’s, they would get the remaining amount in the account, PLUS the interest. These account will last until they are either used, or confirmation that all schooling is done.

Second I would buy several acres of wooded land, in a temperate climate, and begin construction of a house. Modest but hardened, including a basement, and sub-basement. I figure this would be approximately 3-4 million.

A working travel vehicle, along with a few work vehicles (high torque 4 wheeler, small boat if there is a lake present). A primary and backup generator with continuous 100% load capacity. Supplies of fuel, food, and all weather gear stored in inconspicuous locations around my property. This would likely range from 2 million to upwards of 5, depending on the state, and size of the property.

The rest I would mostly likely put in a savings account, it’s a few donations made to charities.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    1) Don't tell ANYONE (at first) and lay low for a while.

2) Hire the best financial advisor and lawyer I can find and put a certain percentage in savings and relatively conservative investments.

3) Pay off all of my debt.

4) Pay off all of my parents' debt.

5) Buy a moderately sized house near the water in a warm climate. (Most likely in SoCal)

6) Buy an Audi RS4 as my everyday driver and a Ford Shelby Mustang as my weekend driver.

7) Donate a good chunk to charity.

8) I would probably not work for a year and travel the world. I would find a job though just to keep busy. Maybe open up a cool bar or restaurant.

Holy s***. You and I are the same person.... creepy man. Creepy.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I would start a theatre production company, nothing big, just something I could use to put on fringe shows and not have to worry about funding.

I'm currently starting a small theatre production company, so if you win the lottery, you are welcome to invest in my production company. (However, I am definitely looking to grow the company and eventually produce Broadway)

I'd buy a small jet and finish getting my pilot's license, buy an apartment in NYC, finally buy my dream car (1957 Mercedes Benz 300 sl Gullwing), invest most of the funds and create a foundation so my 'job' could be deciding who to share my money with. Then spend the rest of my time writing, traveling and enjoying life!
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    That much money would ruin me. I'd make bad decisions and destroy all of my relationships. Therefore, I would give every dime away to the charity of my choice - Christian missions to spread the news of Salvation through faith in Jesus the Christ.

Having money isn't a sin.

Rich people can't get into heaven!!!!

That is absolute nonsense. IMHO.

Uh, Rich people CAN get into heaven. The bible just says it is difficult because of corruption. Like a camel through the eye of a needle. It never says it isn't possible because through Christ all things are possible. Just sayin'...

AMEN!!!!