Frienemies

Options

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I can think of a quick way for you to drop a 100 plus pounds :wink: :laugh:

Seriously life is too short to hang out with asshats!

Starting to feel that way. The only complication is that my hubby and her hubby have been best friends since high school. That is how I came to meet her in the first place. Ugh!

This obviously makes things more difficult.

Basically we are talking about boundaries. Understanding your right to have healthy boundaries, and how to assertively and effectively enforce them.

You were obviously not ok with her little joke at your expense. Nor would I be. Sheesh, even her husband wasn't. What did you do or say in response?

Eta: and by the way, what did your husband say about the fiasco? What does he think of his friend's wife?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she is intimidated with the fact that you're losing weight. Even if she isn't overweight herself, she can still be intimidated. When I started losing weight, the "girlfriend club" (the girlfriends of my boyfriends friends) started getting awfully b!tchy when I would come around. None of them were or are overweight, but they don't like the fact that I am now smaller than all of them. Before I lost weight they were all my best friends when I would come around. I'm hardly friends with any of them now, when we all go to the same party or event they'll all flock together and ignore me. My boyfriend even noticed it without me saying a word.

Girls are ridiculous.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    She's a jealous b!tch. That is all.

The best revenge is to maintain your willpower and refrain from the cheese fries and then prance your skinny fine *kitten* around in front of her AND her husband. Give her a reason to not like you. I hate jealous b!tches.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    A break from her may give her some time to think about things....and grow up.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

The best revenge is to maintain your willpower and refrain from the cheese fries and then prance your skinny fine *kitten* around in front of her AND her husband. Give her a reason to not like you. I hate jealous b!tches.

:noway:

No reason to stoop to her level. Prancing in front of her and her husband like this is a great way to look like a total immature jerk, piss off your husband and completely alienate her (in turn, alienating the friendship between the husbands).

Take the high road. You are doing this for you. Withdraw yourself from hanging out when you can, use it as motivation to fuel your workouts and then prance you skinny fine *kitten* around in front of YOUR husband in lingerie. I'm sure he'll help you forget about the petty drama in no time.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options

No reason to stoop to her level. Prancing in front of her and her husband like this is a great way to look like a total immature jerk, piss off your husband and completely alienate her (in turn, alienating the friendship between the husbands).

Take the high road. You are doing this for you. Withdraw yourself from hanging out when you can, use it as motivation to fuel your workouts and then prance you skinny fine *kitten* around in front of YOUR husband in lingerie. I'm sure he'll help you forget about the petty drama in no time.

LOL Well I didn't say sleep with her husband. Just look fine and hang out with them. That's all it's gonna take. Men are gonna look because they're men. But either way, I've never really been one to take the high road. I'm okay with that.
  • angieochoa1201
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I WILL TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have dealt with "mean girls" before. I have learned a lot.

She is picking on you because she knows you won't stand up for yourself or make any snarky remarks back.

If she is your husband's friend's wife there is only one thing to do.

SAY REALLY RUDE SNARKEY MEAN THINGS BACK with a smile on your face..

axample: the forkful of cheese fries in your face= "I can tell you realllly want some of our pizza bread! Here have some I try to avoid excess carbs and fat but clearly enjoy them " smile politely and carry on..

For every snude thing she attempts to do snude her back! Its like when female lions roar at one another. By not roaring back you are giving her all the power!!

This is the best woman to woman advice I can give you

Sure.... you can take the high road but it will not be effective. Trust me!
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options

You were obviously not ok with her little joke at your expense. Nor would I be. Sheesh, even her husband wasn't. What did you do or say in response?

Eta: and by the way, what did your husband say about the fiasco? What does he think of his friend's wife?

My hubby doesn't like her - never has. But he loves his friend. When we go 3 or more months without hanging out with them - he gets sad.

He did not confront her out of respect for his friend - but he did say thank you to his friend when his friend told her to stop. He tried to redirect the conversation by saying "hey - this diet is a great thing - it means I get 3/4 of the cookie tonight!".

I didn't really say anything - I don't like to be confrontational...and that is a problem I need to correct. I do need to stand up for myself.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a total ****. I don't associate with ****s.

Word.

I have a friend that went from one of my best friends to a super **** when he got a new job at a "high profile" place. So, I cut him out. No big loss. Not much a friend if they act like that.
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options

This is spot on. Thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I didn't really say anything - I don't like to be confrontational...and that is a problem I need to correct. I do need to stand up for myself.

I pose you this question:

If you won't stand up for yourself, how can you expect anyone else to do so?

Sometimes, even if it is uncomfortable, we need to correct people who may not understand that what they are doing is not allowed.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Is your friend overweight? Is she more overweight than you are?

She may be feeling horrible about her body and lack of willingness to do something about it. It is easier to drag down those around us rather than to pull ourselves up. That's what we do, we discourage our friends and relatives from having too much success, especially if it looks like they are going to be more successful than we are ourselves.

I have drifted away from friends over the years, and others have come to fill the void. That's just life. Maybe it is time to drift away from this particular friend.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If she isn't supporting you in every way she possibly can, she's not really your friend. A real friend would want to see you improve your health and be willing to do anything to help.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I had a group of friends that had a frienemy who would hang with us from time to time. We were all ladies carrying a little too much weight and she was perfect and thin and hair always perfect and make-up always perfect. And she was one of those that was horribly insecure and constantly needed validation, which she sought by wearing clothing that didn't limit the imagination too much, which made us "fluffier" ladies feel even worse. A personal favorite is when she'd complain about being fat. It got to the point where when she'd say that, none of us would say anything to give her the validation she was seeking.

I don't believe she would have sabotaged any of us losing weight though. So I should be happy about that.
  • angieochoa1201
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I WILL TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have dealt with "mean girls" before. I have learned a lot.

She is picking on you because she knows you won't stand up for yourself or make any snarky remarks back.

If she is your husband's friend's wife there is only one thing to do.

SAY REALLY RUDE SNARKEY MEAN THINGS BACK with a smile on your face..

axample: the forkful of cheese fries in your face= "I can tell you realllly want some of our pizza bread! Here have some I try to avoid excess carbs and fat but clearly enjoy them " smile politely and carry on..

For every snude thing she attempts to do snude her back! Its like when female lions roar at one another. By not roaring back you are giving her all the power!!

This is the best woman to woman advice I can give you

Sure.... you can take the high road but it will not be effective. Trust me!

This is a serious suggestion.

Especially if you don't like full on confrontation. It is an easy way to state that you are not a push over!

She will back off
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may have to be around her from time to time. Next time she does this, I would just take her aside from the group and tell her that it bothers you when she does that and that you consider her behavior childish and rude. You're not trying to shove your lifestyle choices in her face, why does she feel like she can do that to you?

But I also agree that I would cut back on the amount of time I spend with her when possible. She sounds like a person you don't need in your life.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Yes. My definition: a person I don't like or care to associate with but do so for the sake of mutual friends or family.
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It does sound like jealousy and attention seeking to be honest. I would give her a chance by explaining to her that you feel she is unsupportive & hurts you with the things she says. Maybe she doesn't realise because you have never told her explicitly. But if she continues then yes you are better off without her as a friend. Minimise the drama for your hubby's sake & allow yourselves to drift apart, with as others have said more boys nights and less double dates.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I can think of a quick way for you to drop a 100 plus pounds :wink: :laugh:

Seriously life is too short to hang out with asshats!

Starting to feel that way. The only complication is that my hubby and her hubby have been best friends since high school. That is how I came to meet her in the first place. Ugh!

This doesn't mean you have to be friends with her. Each time she makes a comment fight back!! Tell her she is being disrespectful and take control of the situation. Her husband is going to understand because obviously he recognizes that she is rude to you.

Stand up for yourself!!! You are making a conscious effort to change your lifestyle and become a happier version of yourself. What could be more wonderful than that?

Personally I would say: "wow, does putting me down make you feel better?" and that will end it....
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I don't do subversive put-downs. I need my friends to have the balls to come at me straight on.

I should note that I'm Southern, so frienmity doesn't work on me. I have a lifetime of practice.

This isn't a giant deal. Next time, tell her you'd rather not because her dinner smells like catsh!t. You'll feel better. Then, take her aside and tell her to knock it off or she'll be wearing the fries next time. I'd smile here, just to make it fun. Then, tell her you guys are cool and go back to partying or whatever.