JUST GIVE ME 10 DAYS ~ ROUND 75

Options

Replies

• deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,850 Member
    Options
    Calling all low carbers & keto folks: Has anyone heard of subtracting glycerin from total carbs to get net carbs like what many do with fiber? Some say to just subtract 1/2 of the glycerin for net carbs. What is everyone's thought on this? I just tried an Atkins chocolate peanut butter bar & it was a bit deceiving on the label. It said 3 net carbs but when I looked at the back it is way more total carbs than I was expecting before any subtractions. I realize that it is artificial sugars so I would not make a habit of it, but what are the thoughts out there?
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @deepwoodslady, Is glycerine an ingredient in the Atkins bar? Glycerine is a humectant. I used to use it in homemade hair products. I don't know much about it as a food additive. It's a sugar alcohol, but only slightly sweet, really sticky. I don't know about carbs or net carbs concerning it. I would have to read up on that.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,850 Member
    Options
    @tiabirdie56 It is spelled glycerin. It does not have the letter E at the end. It is something that they say does not raise your glucose levels and therefore, does not need to be counted (just like fiber). I did check a couple of websites and they say to count half of the glycerin. Others say to not count any of it. Incidentally, they are saying the same thing of fiber. Some websites say to deduct all of the fiber, and other sites say to only deduct half of the fiber and count the other half for net carb. Many say not to deduct any fiber or glycerin at all if their counts are only 5g or less. So confusing. I want something sweet with a little peanut butter every now & then (I love it just like you, Tish). But I don't want to be eating 30 grams of carbs in one bar! Wowza! Let me know what you find & what you think.