200lbs+ to 135lbs - from obese to healthy (with pics)

Options
Weight kinda creeps up on you... or at least it did for me. One day you're 'you'. The next moment you're 'you but plus sized and then some'. That was me.

I hadn't had a set of scales for years but knew from my clothes that I was getting bigger... and more uncomfortable with how I looked. I was ill all the time. Exhausted most of the time. And hated the way I looked to the point where I couldn't even look in a mirror. As 2012 ticked into 2013, I'd just had my 4th chest infection in three months and I'd had enough. Next year I turn 40 - I thought 'if I'm this ill now, it's not going to get any better unless i start to look after myself'... so I did. I created an account on MFP and started to log what I was eating.

O. M. G. How many calories are there in stuff?!?!?!?! And how small are *real* portion sizes meant to be anyway?!?!?!

What a wake up call!

My New Year's resolution was to cut the junk from my diet and to get fitter. With the junk, I know some people can exercise moderation, but I can't. One bar of chocolate turns into two. A multipack turns into a single serving. I'm much better off without it and the cravings have completely gone, replaced by healthy stuff I know I won't binge on.

As part of my getting fitter thing, I decided to start the Couch to 5K program. The first time I tried to run I managed 45 seconds, thought my lungs were on fire and that my eyeballs were going to pop with the exertion. I'd picked a quiet lake to run around so that no-one would see my hauling my backside around painfully slowly and it took months before I felt confident enough to run on the streets. And though I could happily have stopped running, miraculously I increased the time I could run from 45 seconds to a minute... to 3... 5... 8... 20... and when the C25K podcast I was listening to said 'you can now call yourself a runner', I could have cried with pride and happiness! Now I can run for miles. Me? The overweight, pushing 40, mother-of-two-who'd-let-herself-go. Or rather, the formerly overweight me. I'm still pushing 40!

It wasn't just fitness though, even with the junk cut from my diet, I still felt like my throat had been cut with hunger a lot of the time during those first few weeks. So, because I knew that a few friends had tried the 5:2 fasting diet and it had worked for them, I decided to have a go. 500 calories two days a week, and 'normal' for the rest of the week. Sounds doable, right? Those first two 500 calorie days were sooooooo ha-a-a-a-a-a-rd! I ended up in bed by 7pm just so I wouldn't eat the furniture in hunger! But gradually it got easier and the weight started to disappear. My chins became 'chin'. My waist stopped being the wobbly bit between other wobbly bits and I remembered that once upon a time I'd had an hourglass figure as my waistline reappeared.

I don't know how much I weighed on January 1st... I know it was more than when I got a set of weighing scales at the end of January. I also know that I'd estimated that I was 30 lbs less than the 200 lbs which appeared on the scales when I stepped on them first of all. I'd been kidding myself that it was bad but not *that* bad. But 200 lbs for someone who's 5'7" makes you obese. Not overweight but obese. How did I end up at 200 lbs+?!?!?!? How I ended up at 135 lbs, I know about. Consistency. Caring enough about myself to get back in control. And getting myself off the couch!

Now I exercise just about every day. I run several times a week. I swim. Cycle. Skate. Walk. I have fun with my kids and have LOADS of energy. My skin is better. My health is better. And I haven't had a single chest infection all year.

Come on 40... do your worst. I'm ready for ya!! :happy:

January 2013 - 200+ lbs (UK size 18 / US size 14)

9506365685_cfc775b4a2.jpg

200 lbs (and starting Couch to 5K)

9506133285_77d72e04cb.jpg

March 2013 - 183 lbs

9506337011_419292fc67.jpg

May 2013 (the day when my BMI went into the 'healthy weight' area for the first time in years!) - 158 lbs

9506216015_d2deae3b57.jpg

July 2013 (the day I reached my goal weight!) - 140 lbs

9509114522_eb745815eb.jpg

August 2013 (me today) - 135 lbs (UK size 8 - 10 / US size 4 - 6)

9510877338_8c32cf5493.jpg

Replies

• rabbiter
    rabbiter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's amazing and you look brilliant for it!

You've completed the journey I'm hoping to start, almost exactly SW and GW.

Well done and good luck for maintaining :-)
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It's definitely a journey worth making. :smile:
  • slhass10
    slhass10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! I can not wait to share my story someday!
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Amazing feat - you look positively glowing :)
  • sarahhorrigan
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! I can not wait to share my story someday!

Thank you - can't quite believe I've done it either!! Am sure you'll feel the same too when you post your story!
  • shoniej
    shoniej Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous!!! And such a great, inspriring story! Thank you for sharing!! :flowerforyou:
  • 3momwrestler
    3momwrestler Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You have done a great jog!
  • madanda
    madanda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Very inspiring and you look amazing. You also look like you FEEL amazing. Thank you for sharing your story. :smile:
  • sarahhorrigan
    Options
    Fantastic! Very inspiring and you look amazing. You also look like you FEEL amazing. Thank you for sharing your story. :smile:

Y'know, I *do* feel amazing!!! I've gone from not wanting to look in the mirror to sneaking little glimpses of this woman who now has a tiny behind and little waist as I walk past shop windows!!! And being amazed that that woman is me!! :laugh:
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've been waffling about whether or not to start the C25K and that's enough of waffling, and waffles for that matter. Thanks for your inspirational story! Can't wait to start and hear that machine tell me I'm a runner too!
  • madanda
    madanda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    NIce! What a great feeling. Very happy for you. :happy:
  • cc11395
    cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What a great story - and I know people say this a lot, but you truly don't even look close to 40 now!!
  • BeeMarieG
    BeeMarieG Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your story!
  • amber_michelle30
    amber_michelle30 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I loved reading your story!! Amazing transformation:)
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You look so fit!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    WOWOWOWOWOW. You look amazing!!!!
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You're amazing! :)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Girl, you are hot! Congratulations!
  • byrdiebee
    byrdiebee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love your style! Great story, well written. I am SO inspired to continue on. Thank you for taking the time to share and encourage.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Totally adorable. I would have guessed 32. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!