Less Alcohol - May 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    Great link here folks. Sober Curious Movement
    It just came accross Good Morning America.
    I popped it onto my Facebook page......oh boy....I am sure I will hear all kinds of *kitten* now from my peeps on there. LOL. Don't care what their comments may be.

"http://"]https://goodmorningamerica.com/wellness/story/rising-sober-curious-movement-62498007[/url]

Enjoy~

Can't wait to check it out tonight!
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Nope I drink alcohol usually once a week. Not giving that up.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...... I messed up the link for the Sober Curious Movement and I could not get back into edit. So just Google the bold text.

@kbmnurse1 that is fine we are all traveling down our own path 😊. Pop in anytime.

@AbandondedKSCharger you sound super stoked this 1st day of May. Love the positive energy! Keep it up.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I'm in
    Jan=0 drink days
    Feb=2 drink days
    March=0 drink days
    April=0 drink days
    Let's hope May goes well,I'm having that "itch" a bit grrr but I want to keep my streak going,here's to all keeping to their goals this month! <3

You are doing so awesome @whitpauly. Fingers crossed for that itch to become "less itchy".
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    May 1 - one generous size glass of whiskey in celebration of going into contract with selling our house!

Today so far, opened one Truly 100 calorie hard sparkling water and sipping it. Have been logging in my foods all day and hope to keep it to just the one. Will check in tomorrow though!

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    For May, my goal is to check in daily, focus on adding in new fun activities in my life, advance planning, and distracting myself when the urge hits. I had made good progress before by cutting out the number of days I eat out a month (lost 15 lbs that way). Now I go out maybe 7-8x a month max (it used to be 12x + takeouts). I pick healthy foods but always drink wine. And my favorite place I go to every Saturday pours heavy - Italian Pinot Grigio and only charges $5. I would guess 8oz easy. It's super good value so I order 2. LOL not a good value for my waistline or my liver so who am I kidding????. My goal for May is to cut down the outings down to half this month and instead cook something fun and new at home so I don't feel deprived....scary thought especially since we are entering vacation season but hey I need to change up my patterns....
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    vsjfelca4e1b.png

This is so insightful.

I think we start out drinking for a quick "fix".

Drinking (and eating) sensibly actually requires more thought.

For me, the word, "prudence" sums it up.

prudence noun
    pru·​dence | \ ˈprü-dᵊn(t)s \
    Definition of prudence
    1 : the ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason
    2 : sagacity or shrewdness in the management of affairs
    3 : skill and good judgment in the use of resources
    4 : caution or circumspection as to danger or risk

It's not being a martyr or miserly.

It's a beautiful feeling of zen, of aiming to have adequate or sufficient amounts, not excess.

To feel that way takes planning. You can plan to have less now, if you want to have more later, so you have a prudent amount overall.

Lovely quote, MissMay.
    My husband and I are very social and tonight we frequented a hot spot of ours. Ordering dinner at the bar and discussing upcoming weekend events with the folks that work there. Husband ordered alcoholic beverage and I ordered iced tea in a stemmed glass with an orange twist(my go to beverage.)
    So I mention to the bartender that I have a great recipe for a sober mint julupe if she wants to use it Saturday. After I told her the ingredients she said what booze? I said NONE. Ohhhhhh she said, it does sound good even without the booze.

Then she asked why I don't drink very often? So I asked why she "did" drink. She could not answer except to say because everyone else does. Then I replied...not me. Now she is completely at a loss for words. If you don't really like to drink then why do you come to a bar she asked? To be social and to talk with people was my answer. So the reason you get your drink in a stem glass with an orange twist the way you do is to avoid people asking you why you don't drink? Yup I said.
    Wow....that is a really smart idea the young bartender commented. I am going to start putting all the adults non alcohol drinks in stemmed glasses. I think they will like that.

Small victory👏

Yay, you! Sharing insight is how this thing works! :smiley:
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    @Womona the hats are my favorite part too, I make mine every year. And I am in the Northeast as well. Maybe you and I should get to gether for our own hat party and virgin juleps. 🤣

I like it!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Why do I order wine at crappy dive bars? Should have had a mixed drink for my planned night last night. I did stick to only one though, and I love that I have finally achieved real moderation.

I would have enjoyed something like a G &T more and not have had to order mozzarella sticks to kill the taste of lousy wine. You don’t want to see how much my weight went up this morning from fried salty food consumed after 9:00 PM.

But, it was fun to see a singer/songwriter friend of ours perform, and catch up with old friends.
  • sunscoutie
    sunscoutie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thursdays are my nights to have a few drinks. I usually take 3 out to my barn with me and brush/ride my horses. It's relaxing and I enjoy it. Last night, between 5pm - 10pm I had 6. Two with my horses, and 4 with my husband. Not feeling too bad today, since I didn't buy vodka when I bought the white claws. Usually I'll have a few white claws and then graduate over to the vodka before bed. THAT really gets me...and I usually hate getting through the next day. But I deliberately did not buy the vodka for that reason. Not in the house, can't have it!

So far May is going reeeeaaaaal good for me ......

May 01 - 3 drinks. My goal was 0. Only had the 3 though, so that was something.
    May 02 - 6 drinks.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    5/2

May 1: Goal 3/Actual 5
    May 2: Goal 3/Acutal <2 (didn't finish it all) I focused on postponing that first drink. Kept myself busier. Tried to stay off the phone and couch. Success!

Tonight traveling an hour north to visit two sets of aunts and uncles I haven't seen in a while. So if any, one, have to drive home. When I get home, probably 1 to 2 beers. No wine at home!! That use to be my norm....Friday night, it's time for one or more bottles of wine. Feeling better :)

@beebva4 Congratulations on the sell of your house!! That's reason to celebrate!

@MissMay That is excellent!! You need to frequent all the bars to encourage the stemmed glass for non-alcohol beverages!! :) Great conversation!

Have a great Friday everyone!!