How do people gain weight back?

Options
12346»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Because for me maintaining my weight takes mental effort and when there are other things in life that take priority, I don't care so much about what my weight is, so I stop weighing myself and I indulge in whatever foods I want, etc. yes I notice that I'm getting bigger and I'm having to wear bigger clothing sizes but it still takes me a while to care enough to do something about it. I lost weight for the first time (intentionally) back in 2012. Excluding pregnancy weight, I've gained and lost 10-15 lbs or so several times over.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    I have one clothes size in my closet and when my clothes get snug or I get 5-10 pounds over my usual weight, I cut back a bit and get it back down. I probably have to do this 2-3 times every single year. This is how I've maintained basically the same weight within 10 pounds for most of my adult life.

However, I've never been obese or overweight. I gained 50 lbs with pregnancies but got back down to pre-baby weight with calorie counting and exercise. I never maintained habits in my life that got me to a heavier weight. People that maintained habits that helped them end up overweight at some point in their life will have a harder time maintaining because those habits are still lurking in the background. People can create new, healthier habits, but old habits are hard to break.

One book I read about habits described them as a groove or pathway that is created in your brain. The more you practice a habit, the deeper the groove and the harder it is the change course. People that go on a diet or change their lifestyle are creating new pathways, but they may not be as deep and strong as habits that were built over decades. Old habits atrophy over time and new habits get stronger, but it takes a lot of time and effort for the new habits to take over for good. And in times of stress, the old habits are comforting and the old habits probably led to weight gain in the first place. So when people become less focused on changing the habits (either because of life events or loss of motivation or a million other reasons), it is much easier and takes less effort to revert back to habits engrained for years.

That said, I have slowly changed my habits over my life. I grew up in a household eating nothing but junk food, but was active enough in sports to not gain weight. As an adult I learned new ways to prepare food and now love fresh, healthy food. It was something that evolved over decades, and I'm still learning.

This is absolutely true. You cannot simply end a habit, but must replace this with another. Success largely lies in how you establish a feedback loop supporting this new habit - circle of friends, new activities, new goals, new purpose, etc.

There's a principle originating within business - Kaizen - one of continual improvement, but operating via constant implementation of small changes which have a dramatic impact over time.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Kids
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I’ve lost then regained 20-40 lbs, 5 times now. 4 of those regains were partially pregnancy, but I’d be lying if I said all of it was...

The last time was because life happened. I had a crazy, stressful, hard year. My husband deployed, when he got back we immediately moved states, and then we were sued (by an entitled opportunistic a-hole)!!!

I tried to use an SSRI to help me cope with the increased stress which was making my anxiety unmanageable and while it certainly eliminated my anxiety, it also blocked my motivation drive. I knew I was gaining all the weight back, but I couldn’t make myself do anything about it. I think I was having a bad reaction to the meds, but because there was so much else going on, I didn’t realize it until I was the heaviest I’ve ever been when not pregnant. I finally stopped taking those meds and dropped 10lbs in the first month without much effort. Usually the first month for me is HARD.

The weight is coming off so much faster than in the past, and I don’t know if it’s that I still managed to work out while gaining it all back, so I had a better fitness baseline to work with, or if there is another underlying reason. The last time weightloss has been this easy for me, I was 10 years younger.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    SeanD2407 wrote: »
    Can't decide if its r/fatlogic or not

Can't decide if what is ... ??
  • gracegettingittogether
    gracegettingittogether Posts: 176 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Sometimes how much we weigh isn't the most important thing we are dealing with, or even close.[/quote]

This is so true! I regained during a relapse into depression due to extremely painful events which took most of the joy from life. Eating helped numb the pain, and while I really needed to find a better way to cope with pain, I at least was able to function, which I’ve not been able to in the past. The most important duty in my life right now, is being able to function and take adequate care of my children and husband. I’ve since learned how to handle the pain better and now the eating, but my weight was really unimportant for a while compared to not being crushed by almost unendurable pain.