What do you consider your "maintenance" weight?

Options
Do you try to maintain your weight at one specific number?
Do you give yourself a little leeway taking into account different variables that can affect weight?
And if so, how much? A pound? Two? Five? More?

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'd say 5lbs in either direction. My goal is 135 so 130-140 would be fine by me.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    same here, 5 either way.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've given myself a range, which actually is 4 lbs either way.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Over 103 is my current panic line. I'm 100 today. I've weighed in the low 90s in the past. In theory, I'd like to get to back down to the high 90s, but so far I don't have the motivation. As 100 is a perfectly healthy weight for me I don't obsess about it.
  • krissenior
    krissenior Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My maintainence weight is usually 80kg, i allow myself 1kg either side of that

I recently put on a bit of my weight back so i am in a losing phase right now but i think my next maintaining phase will be at about 78kg with 1kg either way being acceptable
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    BMI says 110 - 132 is ideal for my height. I am trying for 124 lbs and I give myself up to 5 lbs lee way.
    A lot of times it's just water or muscle increase for the 3lbs differences I have. Yesterday I was 133lbs, I ate a ton but woke up 130.2lbs. It's only numbers - it can be affected by things that make sense (over eating) and things that make no sense (I stopped for soft serve ice cream cone because of a really bad traffic jam yesterday). If you work hard and stick to a sensible diet, reward yourself now and then, no number matters. I gained 4 lbs over 2 weeks but I went down a pants size - once that sort of thing happens you really start getting an idea that the scale is a crap way to measure your fitness progress
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My weight had settled on 125lbs so that's what I chose as my target. But I'm currently at 122lbs due to diet change, so I think my new target will be 122lbs and then I'll aim to stay within the two numbers.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'd say 5lbs in either direction. My goal is 135 so 130-140 would be fine by me.

I agree. My goal is 115 but I tend to float between 115 and 120. That being said, I think there is something to be said for getting to close to the edge of your range. For the past few weeks, I've been in the upper teens a whole lot to the point where I haven't weight 115 for a month or two.To me, that means I need to check my diet and fitness to make sure I continue to stay in my range.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming to stay under 130 now.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Maintenance weight is 108 pounds - I fluctuate a little less than that. I've allowed myself a 3 pound window and if I hit the maximum, it's time to buckle down.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    3 pounds either way for me, although I am five above today and have been for a few weeks. I have increased my workouts and my calories so I am ok with the 5 that I am up as of now, anyway:wink:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I agree. My goal is 115 but I tend to float between 115 and 120. That being said, I think there is something to be said for getting to close to the edge of your range. For the past few weeks, I've been in the upper teens a whole lot to the point where I haven't weight 115 for a month or two.To me, that means I need to check my diet and fitness to make sure I continue to stay in my range.

For sure. I fluctuate heavily in the morning to evening for example, so seeing 5lbs extra in the evening after the weekend isn't THAT scary but if it was constant, a re-evaluation is definitely in order.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm happy at 110, but I've been as much as 5 pounds either way and it doesn't bother me or seem to last, it eventually ends up right back to 110 barring exercise and dietary habits.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd like to say that my maintenance weight is 5 pounds either way, but if I'm being honest I'm always in the +5 range rather than the -5 range.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I'll let you know when I get there. :wink:
  • Johnpaul1987
    Johnpaul1987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For now i'm hoping to get to 158 but this will mostly likely go up slowly!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know when I get there. :wink:

You'll get there :smile:
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I went from 194 down to 155 and I seem to have settled at that weight, I can give myself a two lb edge, if I see the scale creeping towards 158 I make sure to get back on track before the weight goes on again. I think a normal fluctuation of 1-5 lbs is what most people see.
  • shaundraforee
    shaundraforee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 5lbs. As a nurse, you have to allow for clothing changes and water weight.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I give myself a 5 pound range. My goal is about 122, and if I hit 127, i know I'm really slipping up. Moreso than the number on the scale is the way my pants fit me. I can immediately tell if I've been slacking because my pants get a wee bit tight and uncomfy! LOL