What do you consider your "maintenance" weight?

Options

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My trainer says that women during a month can go 5 up or down and that is NORMAL. When you hit the 10 up--THAT is a "deny your snack" day and run your bootie to the track day.
  • khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like to stay between 125 and 130.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My "maintenance" weight is 122 with limits of 120-125. If I hit 125, then I set a weight loss goal and start logging diligently. If I hit 119, I start making my portion sizes a little larger or add a healthy snack to my day.
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That's the problem I have right now. I am one pound away from hitting my goal (155 pounds). I know that if I go up 5 pounds, I'll feel like I need to diet and exercise again to get back down to my goal. How do you deal with that?
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    my goal is 180. I'd say 3 lbs either way would make me comfortable
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,599 Member
    Options
    My maintenance weight is actually a 2lb range. I weigh daily but only look at a once-a-week "official" weight. Being at the top of the range for two weeks is a trigger to change an eating behavior. Two weeks below the range calls for a reset of the range.

Of course, right now I'm 3lbs over the top of the range and have been for eight months. I won't change the range though. Sometimes I think that my maintenance weight should be: 5lbs less than whatever I weigh now. That way I'll always be striving to keep my eating behaviours under control.

Jeanne
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My window is a smaller 2+ pounds BUT that's because mostly I don't weight myself on days that I'm positive I will be above that due to TOM, drinking the night before, a lot of sodium, etc. I just don't bother on those days because I know my behavior will be reflected - and that's OK - but I just don't need to see it. Now, if I'm feeling good and a couple times my weight is higher than that and then it's time to evaluate. I'm OK with gaining pounds if I feel like I still look good and my clothes are still fitting. Unfortunately for me I find that as soon as the scale reflects an increase, so does my body.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    My maintenance weight is actually a 2lb range. I weigh daily but only look at a once-a-week "official" weight. Being at the top of the range for two weeks is a trigger to change an eating behavior. Two weeks below the range calls for a reset of the range.

Of course, right now I'm 3lbs over the top of the range and have been for eight months. I won't change the range though. Sometimes I think that my maintenance weight should be: 5lbs less than whatever I weigh now. That way I'll always be striving to keep my eating behaviours under control.

Jeanne

That is somewhat my philosophy as well.
    Kind of a mental game, if you will, to keep myself in check.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I hold water very well, it loves me I guess so I need a higher window. Right now and until my bulk in the fall I am ok with maintaining 120-125lbs. I will not flip out over a few lbs, refuse to have that mindset. Then again lately scale weight is not a concern to me. I monitor my BF through Bod Pod and that tells me the real story.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options

^^ This
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    That's the problem I have right now. I am one pound away from hitting my goal (155 pounds). I know that if I go up 5 pounds, I'll feel like I need to diet and exercise again to get back down to my goal. How do you deal with that?

My thinking is:
    Whatever diet and exercise works to keep you at maintenance is what your lifestyle should be, with the accommodation for a splurge once in awhile.
  • CharityC2182
    CharityC2182 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a alot of factors..water retention, muscle mass, time of the month, how tall you are..I think you get a basic feel for your own body eventually..I give myself max 2 lbs.but I'm only 5'1 so that is my reasoning
  • CharityC2182
    CharityC2182 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Agree, me too
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Well my body has always naturally maintained itself between 130-135, like if i do nothing but sit around and eat ice cream and junk for 6 months i never go above 135 (yes i have actually done this and it is factual for myself)

but my goal is 105 but i give myself leeway to 100 or 108, above 108 is panic mode.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    122lbs :O)
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    After surpassing my goal by 8 lbs and still trying to figure out a true "maintenance" food/exercise combo, I'm focusing on a maintenance size and not weight. Theoretically I'd love to reduce my BF% below the current 23.5%, but I can't afford to keep replacing my wardrobe. So as long as I stay my current size small/size 6 I'll consider maintenance a success.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    120 was my goal weight but then I went down to 118. So maintenance is 118-122. Any more than 122 & it's time to get back to business.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    For me, two pounds up is a fluctuation, three or more is a gain. At 5'1", five pounds on me is a full dress size, so I have to be very careful. I'll let you know if I ever have the problem of being so far under that it bothers me :noway:
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think within 5 pounds is standard. When I take a break from losing, which I have done a few times to reset myself, I don't let the scale creep past 5. Five is my , "crap, it's two hours at the gym tonight, extra walks for the dog (she loves it when I cheat, LOL) and a 1200 calorie day the next day. Pretty reasonable, and it works. When I get down to the top of normal BMI, which is my ultimate goal, I'll use the golden 5 as my rule.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    For me, two pounds up is a fluctuation, three or more is a gain. At 5'1", five pounds on me is a full dress size, so I have to be very careful. I'll let you know if I ever have the problem of being so far under that it bothers me :noway:

Yeah, I didn't take into consideration height. I'm 5'6"