contract marriage?

Options
supertracylynn
supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
If you found yourself in an unfortunate situation, would you contract marry someone?

For example, you have a health problem and a friend of yours has fantastic insurance (that also treats old/standing issues). Would you marry them for their insurance if you two agreed - living separate lives as friends only?

Meaning: you can file taxes together, live in different states, no sex between you two, be in a committed relationship with someone else, vacation separately, workout together, etc. Basically, you'd be completely platonic, but legally married.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    No.

NO.

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1. marriage is.........not that
    2. that's insurance fraud
    3. I'm only getting married once.
    4. Divorce is more expensive than dental work.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    it would have to be an extremely desperate situation for me to do so. i just cant see it honestly but no judgement on my part. i guess marriage means a little more to me than just a contract even though i could see practical reasons in doing so just doesnt appeal to me.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    No.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Not to enter into one....That just goes against my beliefs in marriage,

I can see staying in a marriage you are already in for a period of time as separated for reasons like figuring out finances and insurance. DIvorce can be quite complicated and expensive.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If it is that or die.. yes.. otherwise... no
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    no, not at all.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a contract. He does not say no an I always say yes. Oh an he always buys me wine
  • supertracylynn
    Options
    ... he always buys me wine

THIS is the key to a good relationship, no matter what that relationship is specified as!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    no chance at all a government agency is reading this right now.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Basically, would you enter into a written contract to commit fraud? No. Can't say that I would.
  • supertracylynn
    Options
    I'm failing to see how this is much different than people who marry because they got pregnant.

Or stay together because they "can't afford to divorce".

Or people who fight constantly and hate each other but "don't want to divorce".

Or people who marry, but choose to live in separete cities/states/countries because of a job or schooling.

Or couples who are "actively" married but don't have sex.

Or a couple that's been together for many many years without the legally binding part... then choose to get married when one of them develops, for example, cancer, because they need the marriage blessing for insurance purposes.

The main difference, as far as I can tell, is a well thought out agreement and how to handle various situations, which most people don't think about when they decide to tie the knot.
    For that fact of the matter, what is the difference between a good contract marriage and a solid pre-nup?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter what you think of it (or what i or anyone else thinks of it)... the government considers it fraud.
  • supertracylynn
    Options
    Would it be considered fraud if the marriage was consumated?
    Or if they lived together for a period of time, then chose to live in different cities because of the job market?

All of this is hypothetical, I'm simply curious on what people think.

What is the difference between a "contract marriage" and a "solid pre-nup".
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Do you understand the difference between buying an Ipod because you want it, then changing your mind and returning it and Stealing an Ipod?
  • supertracylynn
    Options
    Do you understand the difference between buying an Ipod because you want it, then changing your mind and returning it and Stealing an Ipod?

This is what I read:

Do you understand the difference between getting married because you loved them, then changing your mind and divorcing them; and getting married in a well-planned way without the option to divorce?

(this doesn't make sense because you can't return something stolen, but you can still divorce or get an annulment with a pre-nup/contract marriage)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

NO!

:tongue:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    No, but only because I would be worried that they would run up a bunch of debts that I'd be responsible for paying.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I knew a couple who did this back in the 90s. They were a gay and lesbian couple, and they married in order to reduce tax burden, share on insurance costs, and get better financial aid. They lived in the same house, but he saw other guys, and she saw other ladies. It worked for them. I thought it was fraud, but they were legally married, so it apparently wasn't.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm failing to see how this is much different than people who marry because they got pregnant.

Or stay together because they "can't afford to divorce".

Or people who fight constantly and hate each other but "don't want to divorce".

Or people who marry, but choose to live in separete cities/states/countries because of a job or schooling.

Or couples who are "actively" married but don't have sex.

Or a couple that's been together for many many years without the legally binding part... then choose to get married when one of them develops, for example, cancer, because they need the marriage blessing for insurance purposes.

The main difference, as far as I can tell, is a well thought out agreement and how to handle various situations, which most people don't think about when they decide to tie the knot.
    For that fact of the matter, what is the difference between a good contract marriage and a solid pre-nup?

Those don't seem like very good comparisons. Seems more comparable to a green card marriage, IMO. What do you think of those, OP?