What is your workplace pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I share an office area with someone else and her husband phones her at least once per day...she will just get to her desk and her cell phone is ringing and I am thinking wtf..you just saw him at home before you left...
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I work in a VERY casual office.

I'm trying to work.

My boss and coworkers are discussing sex toys nearby.

Our COO messaged me a picture he took of me at a sports game on the weekend. I didn't know he was there.

This is a normal day. -_-

I love the freedom to curse and wear baggy clothes and generally be a mess but I worry I am ruined for normal jobs now.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I work in a VERY casual office.

I'm trying to work.

My boss and coworkers are discussing sex toys nearby.

Our COO messaged me a picture he took of me at a sports game on the weekend. I didn't know he was there.

This is a normal day. -_-

I love the freedom to curse and wear baggy clothes and generally be a mess but I worry I am ruined for normal jobs now.

My goodness yes. I feel that in my soul!

We're like a (somewhat functional) big family at my job and I can tell someone on the phone that I refuse to deal with them because they're "sounding pretty aggressive", and then hang up. 100% backed up by everyone, including the president of the company.

I'm ruined for normal jobs.
  • laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    People that act busy doing absolutely nothing.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    People who whine when shown that they've doing a task incorrectly and the mistake is starting to become a big problem. "But that's how *insert name* told me to do it..." And they get super defensive about it and the whiny tone of voice carries across the whole office. Dude, just acknowledge the error and get on with fixing it. Of course the chronic whiner is the one who's late every single morning.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    At my new job there is really only one. And that is a lady who works with me. She obsesses over everything I do and usually makes snide comments about it, whether its when we are planning a lunch and she has to tell everyone i'm on a special diet??? Which I am not. Or my boss told me I could leave early on Friday (he told her too) and when I actually did she complained to HR. There is nothing in our dress code about wearing shirts with words on them, its a very, very casual office but she always tells me she thinks its unprofessional when I wear them. I have a hoop ring in my nose and she casually mentions in front of my boss that facial piercings on women are unattractive. I have so many more examples and I've only been here 10 months.

Sounds like a HR nightmare waiting to happen
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've got another one (I know, big surprise). The blatant favoritism shown to parents in the workplace. Let me say at the outset that most parents are reasonable and don't abuse the system. But there's always that one who just has to milk it for all its worth. I'm not heartless. I've worked many a Christmas so a co-worker could spend it with their children, because they're not going to get those years back. But I do feel like there is systematic discrimination against those of us who are single and/or childfree. To have a supervisor tell me that I need to be a "team player" when I question having to shoulder A's workload as well as my own for three months, doing the work of two people for one low price because she's on maternity leave again, that's fine. But somehow that team player karma never seems to swing back the other way. When management knows you don't have a partner or children, no excuse you have for needing a day off is worthy enough. There is not one ounce of slack. There is no leaving early, coming in late or even a long weekend. There are no perks, no extras. I've had to all but beg for a couple of hours to go to a doctor's appointment. I've worked six and seven days a week because the "I can't get a babysitter" excuse doesn't work for me. It feels like being punished for my life choices, because I didn't toe the line, get married and have 2.4 children. I do have a family. It may not look like yours, but I have one. I have an elderly, disabled parent who depends on me. There need to be more humane policies for all workers instead of management pitting us against each other, because they're the only ones who really win.

I understand this completely, although I have always been EXTREMELY up front about the importance of my work/life balance despite not being a parent. I've even brought this up during interviews (since it's illegal for interviewers to ASK but not illegal to bring up the topic as an interviewee). I don't want anyone to mistake my childfree status for workaholic status or doormat status or anything else...
    I am also now a caregiver to my senior parent and eventually will be to my other set of senior parents as well.
    Speaking up can really make a difference, and if it doesn't work that way in your company then seriously - I suggest looking elsewhere.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I've got another one (I know, big surprise). The blatant favoritism shown to parents in the workplace. Let me say at the outset that most parents are reasonable and don't abuse the system. But there's always that one who just has to milk it for all its worth. I'm not heartless. I've worked many a Christmas so a co-worker could spend it with their children, because they're not going to get those years back. But I do feel like there is systematic discrimination against those of us who are single and/or childfree. To have a supervisor tell me that I need to be a "team player" when I question having to shoulder A's workload as well as my own for three months, doing the work of two people for one low price because she's on maternity leave again, that's fine. But somehow that team player karma never seems to swing back the other way. When management knows you don't have a partner or children, no excuse you have for needing a day off is worthy enough. There is not one ounce of slack. There is no leaving early, coming in late or even a long weekend. There are no perks, no extras. I've had to all but beg for a couple of hours to go to a doctor's appointment. I've worked six and seven days a week because the "I can't get a babysitter" excuse doesn't work for me. It feels like being punished for my life choices, because I didn't toe the line, get married and have 2.4 children. I do have a family. It may not look like yours, but I have one. I have an elderly, disabled parent who depends on me. There need to be more humane policies for all workers instead of management pitting us against each other, because they're the only ones who really win.

This. Very much this. You're going to give me crap for leaving right at 5pm even though DudeBro leaves at 5pm on the nose everyday (to pick up his kid)? He can't stay late, but management assumes I can and will because I've decided not to have children.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree yall should stand up for yourselves worklife balance is key for all - life doesn't only mean family - it means life! Hobbies, friends, chill time, things that make you happy. Everyone deserves that.

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Our bathrooms are overtaxed and have no fans!
  • adammartinpe
    adammartinpe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cold transfers. Good grief.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    People who take absolutely zero responsibility for their *kitten* ups instead of being a grown mature adult owning up to it, they rather point fingers at everyone but themselves.

Passive aggressiveness.

Grudges.

People who don't avoid confrontations.

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Birthdays....some people make a big deal when it is their birthday, we have to know about it and it is like they are so special for that day and this is all we hear about. I work in an office of about 100 people so majority of time nobody knows when it is someone's birthday but some people (the ones that I notice love attention) I find they have to let everybody know, one time someone even baked a cake for themselves and it is like whatever...

I guess my point is if you are going to celebrate one persons better celebrate everybodys.

ONe time some guy and his wife had a baby and the manager (who was friends with him) threw a work baby shower for him...ummmm what about the others who have had babies???? I guess we only celebrate things for those that are in the upper hierarchy.