What is your workplace pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Sadly, my coworkers voice, its ear piercing and phony sounding.
    I like her, but that voice, nope
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    @kds10 I was so surprised when that last part happened at my office. A girl threw a co-worker who was also her friend an office baby shower, but there had been at least 5 other people before her that didn't get one. And they all got paid for attending! I didn't go because I simply just didn't think it was fair.
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Personal phone calls at their desk, plenty of conference rooms you can duck in to. Also taking the call at your desk, talking all the way to the conference room and returning to your desk before the call is even over...

The constant use of cliches..."we'll cross that bridge when we get there" "one foot in front of the other" "let's circle back" "think outside the box" generally used by one employee, but still annoying.

Requiring a "Read Receipt" on every email you send. Even one that just says Thanks. Also, sending an email that just says Thanks, or "replying all" when it's not necessary

When the former boss gets a promotion and you quickly find out all the things they screwed up that a normal person would lose their job over but no disciplinary action is taken
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    complaining about how much work they have..how about you stop complaining, and just get it done
    complain complain complain
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    people all up in my business when I am on the phone... I deal with this BS daily lol
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I smell way too good
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ooh another one... when someone comes to my desk between the hours of 12 and 1 and is surprised i'm on my lunch break.

Can you tell this is a fresh one?? :D
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    dlboyle26 wrote: »
    ooh another one... when someone comes to my desk between the hours of 12 and 1 and is surprised i'm on my lunch break.

Respond with your mouth full
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Personal phone calls at their desk, plenty of conference rooms you can duck in to. Also taking the call at your desk, talking all the way to the conference room and returning to your desk before the call is even over...

The constant use of cliches..."we'll cross that bridge when we get there" "one foot in front of the other" "let's circle back" "think outside the box" generally used by one employee, but still annoying.

Requiring a "Read Receipt" on every email you send. Even one that just says Thanks. Also, sending an email that just says Thanks, or "replying all" when it's not necessary

When the former boss gets a promotion and you quickly find out all the things they screwed up that a normal person would lose their job over but no disciplinary action is taken

Oh god. Corporate Drone Speak. "We're gonna drill down." "Moving forward." "Reach out to (name) and cc me."
  • ultra_violets
    Options
    I've got another one (I know, big surprise). The blatant favoritism shown to parents in the workplace. Let me say at the outset that most parents are reasonable and don't abuse the system. But there's always that one who just has to milk it for all its worth. I'm not heartless. I've worked many a Christmas so a co-worker could spend it with their children, because they're not going to get those years back. But I do feel like there is systematic discrimination against those of us who are single and/or childfree. To have a supervisor tell me that I need to be a "team player" when I question having to shoulder A's workload as well as my own for three months, doing the work of two people for one low price because she's on maternity leave again, that's fine. But somehow that team player karma never seems to swing back the other way. When management knows you don't have a partner or children, no excuse you have for needing a day off is worthy enough. There is not one ounce of slack. There is no leaving early, coming in late or even a long weekend. There are no perks, no extras. I've had to all but beg for a couple of hours to go to a doctor's appointment. I've worked six and seven days a week because the "I can't get a babysitter" excuse doesn't work for me. It feels like being punished for my life choices, because I didn't toe the line, get married and have 2.4 children. I do have a family. It may not look like yours, but I have one. I have an elderly, disabled parent who depends on me. There need to be more humane policies for all workers instead of management pitting us against each other, because they're the only ones who really win.

I didn't even think of this, but as a 32 year old never been married, child-free woman, I FEEL THIS IN MY SOUL. I always feel like I get the short end of the stick just because I haven't checked that box yet.

It's the Cult of the Family. The perks for parents just never end, from parking spaces to tax deductions to extras in the workplace. Nothing for the rest of us, who are usually getting by on one income. Sure, there's always FMLA for a real emergency but it's only really an option if you can afford to go up to 12 weeks with no pay.
  • ultra_violets
    Options
    I agree yall should stand up for yourselves worklife balance is key for all - life doesn't only mean family - it means life! Hobbies, friends, chill time, things that make you happy. Everyone deserves that.

That's a good point. Work-life balance isn't just for parents. Everyone needs it. The discrimination is blatant. If I refused to work overtime because I wanted ONE weekend for myself and my sanity, they'd demand a reason. Like...I don't have to give you a reason? They didn't ask the people with kids for a reason. I finally quit, walked out the door for the last time and never regretted it once. It's the best thing I ever did. That job was sucking the life out of me. I'd rather be poor and happy than dead at my desk from a heart attack.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options

yeah, you have a plate of food in front of you, a fork in your hand, and you're chewing.

"are you eating?"

-_-
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've got another one (I know, big surprise). The blatant favoritism shown to parents in the workplace. Let me say at the outset that most parents are reasonable and don't abuse the system. But there's always that one who just has to milk it for all its worth. I'm not heartless. I've worked many a Christmas so a co-worker could spend it with their children, because they're not going to get those years back. But I do feel like there is systematic discrimination against those of us who are single and/or childfree. To have a supervisor tell me that I need to be a "team player" when I question having to shoulder A's workload as well as my own for three months, doing the work of two people for one low price because she's on maternity leave again, that's fine. But somehow that team player karma never seems to swing back the other way. When management knows you don't have a partner or children, no excuse you have for needing a day off is worthy enough. There is not one ounce of slack. There is no leaving early, coming in late or even a long weekend. There are no perks, no extras. I've had to all but beg for a couple of hours to go to a doctor's appointment. I've worked six and seven days a week because the "I can't get a babysitter" excuse doesn't work for me. It feels like being punished for my life choices, because I didn't toe the line, get married and have 2.4 children. I do have a family. It may not look like yours, but I have one. I have an elderly, disabled parent who depends on me. There need to be more humane policies for all workers instead of management pitting us against each other, because they're the only ones who really win.

that sounds like a terrible work place! I am single and childless but over my dead body will I just do someone else's work on the reg. And if my hours are 8-4:30, I'm gone at 4:30. I understand accommodating parents, but if you are paid for 8 hours a day, then you work 8 hours a day even if it means taking work home to do when your kid is in bed. I get all my work done during my 8 hours, get your work done during your 8 hours.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The new guy sharing an office with me chews tobacco and spits it into an empty soda can all day. He leaves the can on his desk. I hear him spit into it like every 1-2 mins.

t4093yg2yj60.gif
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bosses who expect you to stay busy, but then think its ok to spring immediate project on you. I can't just drop everything I am doing without flushing a whole lot of money and time down the drain.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    People who’s personality and work ethic MAGICALLY CHANGE whenever management is around. If you’re gonna be a d-bag just own it 🙄🙄