Words that make you cringe

Options

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    The two 4 letter words that start with ‘C’ that refer to male and female private parts are so offensive and unappealing to me. There are much better words to use.

You should get ony the words you like but I love those you referenced when used correctly. They are old words with a rich history. It sounds silly to say that but it’s true.

Those other words are clinical to my ears or else they were meant to be euphemisms and soften the meaning. Makes me feel like people are afraid to say what they mean.

I also like the eff word.

I’m only commenting because I find our differences interesting and not because one is right and one is wrong. Just different. 😊

I suspect the differences in word usage here may be cultural. To each their own.

😋
  • TheNeverPlayedSymphonies
    TheNeverPlayedSymphonies Posts: 108 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    "Fire"

You took the word right outta my mouth 🔥 😳
  • aziz_n1
    aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion about the use of swear words, especially the F & C words. I used to swear a lot but consciously have virtually stopped using them. I don’t feel the need to swear.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    The two 4 letter words that start with ‘C’ that refer to male and female private parts are so offensive and unappealing to me. There are much better words to use.

You should get ony the words you like but I love those you referenced when used correctly. They are old words with a rich history. It sounds silly to say that but it’s true.

Those other words are clinical to my ears or else they were meant to be euphemisms and soften the meaning. Makes me feel like people are afraid to say what they mean.

I’m only commenting because I find our differences interesting and not because one is right and one is wrong. Just different. 😊

I suspect the differences in word usage here may be cultural. To each their own.

😋

Maybe. But it may be that I’m an oddball. You’re not the only person who hates those words. 😊
  • your_future_ex_wife
    edited August 2019
    Options
    aziz_n1 wrote: »
    Interesting discussion about the use of swear words, especially the F & C words. I used to swear a lot but consciously have virtually stopped using them. I don’t feel the need to swear.

Context is everything. No one NEEDS to swear.

Except maybe @alywei3773
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    More of a phrase,

“After all I’ve done for you”
    :(
    If you did something for me,
    that was your choice.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

😋

Maybe. But it may be that I’m an oddball. You’re not the only person who hates those words. 😊

Hmm I have heard a lot of people use those words and think I was the weird one for not using them. Lol
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    indecies :|
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I hate the way a lot of Americans say "xxx is really addicting."
    Addictive! It's really addictive!!

Fur baby.
    No, the animal is an adult.

Pacific is an ocean. Why is it so hard to say specific?

Scone rhymes with gone, not cone.
  • glovepuppet
    Options

Swearing is perfectly acceptable if done in the correct accent. Received pronunciation only. Think Four Weddings and a Funeral.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

Swearing is perfectly acceptable if done in the correct accent. Received pronunciation only. Think Four Weddings and a Funeral.
    *kitten* that. 😂😉
  • glovepuppet
    Options

*kitten* that. 😂😉

I sincerely hope you were channelling Hugh for that post ;)
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

*kitten* that. 😂😉

I sincerely hope you were channelling Hugh for that post ;)

I can’t quite do the accent but I like to think you'd laugh to hear it.
  • jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I brang some fun to jiujitsu tonight....brang
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Moist, I also hate the slang words for genitalia. I know there’s more but can’t think of them exactly off the top of my head!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    OH and I hate when people pronounce the word “wash” as “warsh.”
    I’m gonna go warsh my clothes. 😬🤦🏽‍♀️
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    my mom has been saying "wuder" instead of water lately (or I just started noticing).

Sometimes it takes everything I have to not freak out

Is she from Maryland, Pennsylvania, or Delaware? A lot of infuriating pronunciations coming out of that mid-Atlantic area (I'm allowed to say that... I'm an ex-Balti-moron).

I'm a current Balti-moron :)

She grew up in Vermont then Florida, been in VA her whole adult life. I never hear anyone else say that?

Pennsylvania here and have never heard that before either!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Oh I hate the words baby daddy and baby mama 😬🤮