Phrases that make you cringe!

Options

Replies

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Does that make sense?
    I hate it when someone says this after explaining something like I'm a complete idiot

It's funny how differently words can be perceived.
    When someone follows up with "Does that make sense?", I feel a little bad for them & assume they're insecure about their communication skills.

Hahahaha. Love different perspectives; what a view they can give. :)

Sure, it's an informal and lazier version of "Do you have any questions?" But as a result it is supposed to be a more friendly and nonintimidating colloquialism so an accurate response is more often evoked vs. when the more formal phrasing is used.

Lesson learned. Guess it's back to just repeating everything three times and hoping it sticks, lol.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    Does that make sense?
    I hate it when someone says this after explaining something like I'm a complete idiot

When someone follows up with "Does that make sense?", I feel a little bad for them & assume they're insecure about their communication skills.

Yeah when I use it I am asking if I successfully got my point across.

Exactly.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    "You do you"

I didn't think that was supposed to be used as "advice". Its code for I don't give a crap about your stupid opinion, *kitten* off

Yep.. :D
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    kds10 wrote: »
    Phrases that make me cringe the most would be the responses I get when I tell people that I probably should not have children:

"You'll change your mind someday!"
    Been hearing that one since age 13- it's 20+ years later, and I still haven't changed my mind.

"Oh, you don't really mean that."
    Yes, I do. Why would I lie to you about my lack of wanting children? Really, who does that!?!

"But you would make a GREAT parent!"
    Except no, I wouldn't. My personality and lifestyle are not a good fit for parenting. I would not be able to handle it at all. If anything, I would be a miserable parent with miserable children as a result, and why? Because someone judged me for not wanting children in the first place? That's not fair to me, and definitely not fair to the kids.

OMG, I can't believe that people try and convince you that you will change your mind...seriously! WHen someone says that to me, I always tell them yep not surprised as I know lots of people that don't have kids/don't want kids. Nowadays what is the big deal with not wanting kids? Kids are not cheap as well LOL!

I had SIL tell me she can't imagine not having kids because who is going to wipe your *kitten* one day?? Seriously you expect your sons to be wiping your *kitten*...gross and disgusting.

EXACTLY! Thank God, someone understands! It's mostly older people who say this stuff to me, but still... And btw, having children does NOT guarantee they'll be wiping your rear end when you're older. They will either outsource that job to a nurse at the nursing home or for whatever unforeseen reasons they may not be in your life at all. I am my dad's only child, and we have not spoken since a nasty fight 8 years ago. It just goes to show that having kids doesn't guarantee anything!

I know so many people that are choosing to not have kids! We only had one child and he is an adult now but for the first 10 years of his life I had the boy you should have another one, it is not fair to him, etc. etc.etc., etc.

My SIL commented to someone else years ago that people who just have one child are selfish (which I guess was about us), however, ironically due to her being older when she had her baby, all she was able to have was one, so my thoughts to her are bite me and STFU. So I guess, people are never happy unless someone has at least 2 kids. Personally I am glad that people are having less or no kids, our planet cannot sustain the human population.

2 seems to be some sort of societal golden number, maybe 3
    0- selfish or unfeeling, you obviously are inhuman, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have kids, it means we should all nag you about not having kids (obviously it makes total sense to try to convince someone you think it a horrible person to have kids....)
    1- how dare you force your child to be an only child
    2- good on you
    3- well, I guess we can accept that
    4+ - now that it just too many, what is wrong with you? filthy rabbits....

I'm a filthy rabbit 😩🐇

😂🤣
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Does that make sense?

Yeah when I use it I am asking if I successfully got my point across.

Same. Because sometimes my explanation seems unclear to me. I can get unnecessarily convoluted.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,038 Member
    Options
    “She looks like she was rode hard and put away wet.”

Eww. I mean, sometimes it does look that way but it still makes me cringe.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »

And, it is NEVER said in regards to men! 😡
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    JeBeBu wrote: »
    MelG7777 wrote: »

And, it is NEVER said in regards to men! 😡

How about “the stud was a dud and should have been gelded”? 😬
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    "you look great, you can skip the gym today"
    no *kitten* I don't go to the gym to look good I go so I don't punch people, like you

😂 I love you!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    "When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you"

I'll cut your face if you speak to me like that again!
  • shelsrevenge
    shelsrevenge Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How about "Just sayin'"

Usually used when you have just said something crappy, insensitive, mean or something that is your unique perspective. I don't like this!

Also on the "you do you" disliker bandwagon, obviously, I am already doing me and don't need your permission!
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options

Well...When I want your opinion.....I'll give it to you! :p
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

Well...When I want your opinion.....I'll give it to you! :p

*Tosses switchblade from hand to hand menacingly*
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    "My bad". It's the furthest you can get from actual apology.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    " I SEEN"

:s:s:s
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I axed you a question! :#