Phrases that make you cringe!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    "you don't need to lose weight"
    - I'm the only one living in this body, I'm the only one who gets to vote on anything to do with it
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Describing something as making some other thing "pop".

Every time I hear that a colour makes someone's eyes pop, I get a mental image like this
    CATERS_EYE_POPPING_TEEN_05-1024x576.jpg
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

Every time I hear that a colour makes someone's eyes pop, I get a mental image like this

Ewwwwww

What would you prefer? Maybe “that color makes your eyes more noticeable.”

I use the phrase “pop of color” to describe a vibrant clothing accessory or a throw pillow, etc.
  • ythannah

Ewwwwww

I use the phrase “pop of color” to describe a vibrant clothing accessory or a throw pillow, etc.

I dunno, whatever we used to say before some fashion designer on TLC started saying "pop" :D Something like, that sweater really picks up the colour of your eyes, or that's a very flattering shade.

My association with pop is a short form for popular (like "pop music", yeah I'm old) or a fizzy beverage or bursting something, so it just sounds weird to me. I'd probably say a dash of colour.
  • your_future_ex_wife

Ewwwwww

I dunno, whatever we used to say before some fashion designer on TLC started saying "pop" :D Something like, that sweater really picks up the colour of your eyes, or that's a very flattering shade.

My association with pop is a short form for popular (like "pop music", yeah I'm old) or a fizzy beverage or bursting something, so it just sounds weird to me. I'd probably say a dash of colour.
    I like dash! I may try using zing and seeing how it’s received.
  • ythannah

Ewwwwww

I like dash! I may try using zing and seeing how it’s received.

I'm pretty sure I might be the only person who cringes at the pop thing, and I'm kinda clueless about both fashion and interior design, so take my opinion for what it's worth :p
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    " Did you get my email "

OMG especially when they just sent the email two seconds ago and then ask this.
  • _Paparazzi_
    _Paparazzi_ Posts: 463 Member
    " Elephant in the room "
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Any of my ex husband's catch phrases.
  • QuinntessentiallyMe
    QuinntessentiallyMe Posts: 88 Member
    "You look like a totally different person now. You look great!" Maybe an oversensitivity, but dang.... was I so monstrous before?! That is the first thought that runs into my head when that is said to me.
  • shelsrevenge
    shelsrevenge Posts: 16 Member
    We need to talk
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,002 Member
    “So I did a thing”

*insert pic of thing they did*

😐

Usually a haircut. Lol.
  • Muddyboots85
    Muddyboots85 Posts: 164 Member
    “We’re pregnant!”
    - No, one of you is pregnant and the other is simply expecting a baby soon.

Hahah!! Yea!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    " Did you get my email "

Definitely. I have 2 coworkers who do this to me and they will make it to my office by the same time their email arrives in my inbox. Then they'll stand there near my desk while I read the email. We could read it together I guess, and discuss.

It doesn't bug me all that much, but I don't get it. Why wouldn't they just email me and wait the 5 minutes it usually takes me to reply? Or just come straight to my office and tell/ask me whatever it is without the email step. To be fair, these coworkers are both in their early thirties, just in case anyone assumes they're "old and don't get it".
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    " Did you get my email "

Definitely. I have 2 coworkers who do this to me and they will make it to my office by the same time their email arrives in my inbox. Then they'll stand there near my desk while I read the email. We could read it together I guess, and discuss.

It doesn't bug me all that much, but I don't get it. Why wouldn't they just email me and wait the 5 minutes it usually takes me to reply? Or just come straight to my office and tell/ask me whatever it is without the email step. To be fair, these coworkers are both in their early thirties, just in case anyone assumes they're "old and don't get it".

In your case, I bet it’s just that they like talking to you.

I do this to people who have a habit of not responding. The reason for the intermediate email step is cya. - there is now a record that I did communicate with him/her.

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited June 2019
    "Not for nothing...". WTF does that even mean?

This is specific to my husband, but when he's second guessing himself he always says, "You know what I shoulda did?". :# Oh, I don't know. Speak properly?