Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Options

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »

So, you seem to be drawing a distinction between homemade cookies, and these cookies. Let's dig into that a bit, shall we? (I have no pre-defined agenda here: I don't eat the Lofthouse cookies, think they're gross, but I'm very laissez faire when it comes to others' choices.)

This started with your initial post being woo-ed, and you asking why. So let's approach this in a fact-based manner, since that would be a science-ish thing to do.

According to the Food Lion (grocery store) web site, these cookies have the following ingredients:
    Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Salt, Contains 2% or less of: Mono- & Diglycerides, Calcium Disodium EDTA [Preservative], Artificial Flavor, Annatto [Color], Vitamin A Palmitate), Eggs, Contains 2% or less of: Water, Corn Starch, Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel Oil and/or Palm Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil [Cottonseed and/or Soybean Oil]), Dextrin, Skim Milk, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier),Confectioner's Glaze (Lac Resin), Food Starch-Modified, Colors (Carmine [Color], Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2, Blue 2 Lake, Red 3, Red 40, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake), Polysorbate 60, Carnauba Wax, Sodium Propionate (Preservative).

If I were making cookies at home, most of those ingredients would be in the cookies, especially true for the ingredients at the top (more predominant ones): Sugar, flour, some kind of oil or shortening (probably a simpler one like butter, or coconut oil, because yummier), eggs, milk, leavening. I wouldn't put in artificial flavors (natural vanilla extract is yummier IMO), probably not the artificial colors (I mostly don't want colors - but if I did it would be standard commercial food coloring, which would likely be this same stuff). I certainly wouldn't put in the preservatives (gonna eat 'em or freeze 'em), carnauba wax (?!), or the Confectioners Glaze (Lac Resin) (no idea what that even is).

So, bottom line: Similar ingredients, differences in the minor items. (This might justify a "woo", in some people's minds.)

Next up, nutrition: Specifically, do they have nutritional value, or are they "masquerading as food".
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Servings Per Container 10
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    Calories From Fat 50.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Total Carbohydrate 26.0g 9.0%
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

So, "food energy" (calories ;) ), tiny (negligible) amount of protein, a little fat, tiny vitamin A and iron. Not great. Probably not that far off home-made, but realistically, very low nutrition for the calories, mostly sugar and carbs. They might be a truly affirmative choice for an endurance athlete who enjoyed them and needed the calories. For anyone else who enjoys them, seems like a "sometimes food".

Conclusion: Nothing in particular. Just some facts. It's just that I don't mostly enjoy rant-y emotional stuff. Facts are good. ;)

Y'all are having some good fun, but I'm still hung up on what I bolded in that ingredients list. See, I use Carnauba wax ON MY PICKUP TRUCK :D

Following that logic, anything I can put into my body that passes out the other end without killing me or sickening me can be classified as food.

An abomination colored pretty pink. That's what these cookies are.

I'm going to go slug this down now. Maybe I'll have a new product to put on market shelves soon.

JgFa8Kl.jpg

:#

Seriously, that doesn't bother anyone?

Yeah it does. The cookies have that? @Phirrgus

They do @vanityy99 I did a bit of reading on the subject and from what I understand it's a very common additive in the food industry. And it's used for the exact same purpose as the car wax on vehicles. To make the food more appealing visually.

I understand visual appeal, but geez...ya know? There's just something wrong when "shiny/pretty" sells foods over nutritional value.

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2012/10/10/EFSA-reaffirms-carnauba-wax-safety-at-current-usage-levels#

This is the same as when Food Babe went after some additive that is used in commercial breads that is also used in yoga mats. The additive was a natural edible substance that was used in food long before anyone realized it would serve some purpose in yoga mats, but people can have this reaction that just because something is useful in a non-edible product, it somehow makes it now weird in an edible product. I'd bet people in the tropics were consuming carnauba leaves in some way long before anyone realized the stuff would make your car shiny :wink:

I think I actually remember that yoga mat debacle. Wasn't it some type of wood chip product? On the wax - I'm sure you're right kimny, but gag reflex lol. It's truly an irrational mental thing. I know it's there so bye bye candy corn :(

So the carnauba wax from palm leaves bothered you, but the insect-secreted shellac (Confectioner's Glaze/Lac Resin) didn't. Interesting.

K. ;)

You're very detail oriented. I know you saw the admission "It's truly an irrational mental thing".
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/121025/why-does-ketchup-on-a-hot-dog-piss-people-off/

"No one should squirt ketchup on a hot dog after the age of 18, say officials at the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, part of the American Meat Institute.

“You have to grow up sometime,” says council president Janet Riley, a.k.a. “the Queen of Wien” in her Hot Dog Etiquette video."

There's really a National Hot Dog and Sausage Council? Well, they can't tell me what to do.

*Squirts more ketchup on hotdog..."

I think it's hilarious how upset some get at the idea of ketchup on a hotdog. I also liked the baseball related theory for it, if you followed the link.

(I don't like ketchup on hotdogs, but think it's fine that others do.)

It's perfectly OK if someone wants to put ketchup on their hot dog. Really. It's ok and there's no reason for me to think badly of them. Really. It's
    OK. I might think they must have a defective microbiome or some epigenetic condition. But it's OK. Really.

Thank God it's ok, a hotdog without tomato sauce is.. well... just not a hot dog. Behold its magnificence. 🤤
    ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Also, I have to have apple sauce and crackling on my pork or it's not worth eating :#

Tomato sauce? Where are you from? where do they call ketchup tomato sauce at.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/121025/why-does-ketchup-on-a-hot-dog-piss-people-off/

"No one should squirt ketchup on a hot dog after the age of 18, say officials at the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, part of the American Meat Institute.

“You have to grow up sometime,” says council president Janet Riley, a.k.a. “the Queen of Wien” in her Hot Dog Etiquette video."

There's really a National Hot Dog and Sausage Council? Well, they can't tell me what to do.

I think it's hilarious how upset some get at the idea of ketchup on a hotdog. I also liked the baseball related theory for it, if you followed the link.

It's perfectly OK if someone wants to put ketchup on their hot dog. Really. It's ok and there's no reason for me to think badly of them. Really. It's
    OK. I might think they must have a defective microbiome or some epigenetic condition. But it's OK. Really.

Thank God it's ok, a hotdog without tomato sauce is.. well... just not a hot dog. Behold its magnificence. 🤤
    ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Also, I have to have apple sauce and crackling on my pork or it's not worth eating :#

Australia 🐨🇦🇺
    I believe in the UK it's tomato sauce too, but I'm not certain.
  • vanityy99
    Options

ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Australia 🐨🇦🇺

Oh! What do you guys call the sauce you put in spaghetti?

• slimgirljo15
    Options

ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Australia 🐨🇦🇺

Pasta sauce 🙂
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    I think peanut butter is polarising on MFP - well, at least everyone else seems other pole to me.

I don't like the stuff and never eat it and don't even have any in my house.

Everyone else on MFP seems to think it is nectar of the gods. :o

I like it a lot but not as much as my husband does...it's probably his #1 food. I think of it as a "sweet" food, he says it's savory.

I did this once, put peanut butter on toast, grated cheese on that, then chilli flakes on that and put it under the grill. Cheese on toast on top of peanut butter, it was fantastic

I'd try that for sure. I like some of the stir fry sauces he makes with peanut butter base, sesame oil & Sriracha etc...very good on veggies & noodles or whatever. So I'm not opposed to savory PB things. But once in awhile I'll grab a little spoonful of PB "for something sweet" after dinner and he laughs about that saying it's not sweet at all.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Australia 🐨🇦🇺

Yes, it is. Although it probably gets called ketchup more often these days because of the influence of NA culture. :)

And it definitely belongs on a hot dog (virtually the only place I use it), preferably along with fried onions!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    That’s where ketchup belongs. On onion rings.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Not quite but very similar.

They are both available on Amazon and not terribly expensive, I might need to make this happen.

A tip from someone who eats it.. the biggest mistake people make is to slather it on.. try just a smear on your toast. Enjoy 🙂

:lol: Thanks, I will think "condiment", not "peanut butter substitute"!

I had to go back several pages to confirm that these comments do relate to Marmite as I'd suspected. :)

The TV ads in the UK were all along the lines of "you either love it or hate it", but there are some people who are kind of in the middle!

My husband adores the stuff and will have it spread thickly in sandwiches. (I don't spread it too thick, mind you, because it's expensive here in Canada! "Black gold" is not oil, it's Marmite...) I can stand it in very small amounts, like a very thin smear on toast (as @slimgirljo15 mentioned) if I want something savoury. But it's very very salty. There's also a UK snack called Twiglets (or there was, not sure if they're still available) which are basically thinly coated in Marmite... I liked those too, but not in large quantities.

In case anyone is looking for Marmite, I find it here (in Alberta) in some supermarkets with the baking supplies. Because it's called "yeast extract", it seems that store owners don't know what to do with it and they put it with the bread yeast rather than with the jams and spreads where it belongs. :) I think the Canadian government also tried to ban the import of it at one point, for having "too many vitamins" in it or some such nonsense.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    That’s where ketchup belongs. On onion rings.

"Onion rings", presuming that you mean the breaded or battered kind, are not the same as the fried onions I like (and rarely get) in a hot dog. :)
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

They are both available on Amazon and not terribly expensive, I might need to make this happen.

A tip from someone who eats it.. the biggest mistake people make is to slather it on.. try just a smear on your toast. Enjoy 🙂

I had to go back several pages to confirm that these comments do relate to Marmite as I'd suspected. :)

The TV ads in the UK were all along the lines of "you either love it or hate it", but there are some people who are kind of in the middle!

My husband adores the stuff and will have it spread thickly in sandwiches. (I don't spread it too thick, mind you, because it's expensive here in Canada! "Black gold" is not oil, it's Marmite...) I can stand it in very small amounts, like a very thin smear on toast (as @slimgirljo15 mentioned) if I want something savoury. But it's very very salty. There's also a UK snack called Twiglets (or there was, not sure if they're still available) which are basically thinly coated in Marmite... I liked those too, but not in large quantities.

In case anyone is looking for Marmite, I find it here (in Alberta) in some supermarkets with the baking supplies. Because it's called "yeast extract", it seems that store owners don't know what to do with it and they put it with the bread yeast rather than with the jams and spreads where it belongs. :) I think the Canadian government also tried to ban the import of it at one point, for having "too many vitamins" in it or some such nonsense.

I was talking about Vegemite.. I've never tried marmite but have heard they are similar.
    My ex, a Canadian likened Vegemite to salty sump oil 😁😂
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

I was talking about Vegemite.. I've never tried marmite but have heard they are similar.
    My ex, a Canadian likened Vegemite to salty sump oil 😁😂

I haven't tried Vegemite but I heard the same thing! :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I have eaten both Vegemite and Marmite - they are very similar.

The problem most foreigners have when trying vegemite (and presumably marmite) is that they use far too much.

Less is more.

You only need a thin smear.

I've seen videos of americans trying vegemite and they spread it on thick like jam - and then don't like it.
    Neither would we, spread like that! :o

and there must be an awful lot of non grown up australians :* - tomato sauce is by far most common additive to hot dogs - with or without extras like cheese, bacon, onion
    When I am taking orders at our sports club I have to write in capital letters on the order form PLAIN or MUSTARD if someone wants other than tomato sauce - as it is the assumed default.

• geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Calling all romaine lettuce-broilers (if there are any others like me).

Yes, romaine lettuce. A head of leafy greens.

And yes, broiled. No, not boiled. Broiled. Under the oven, top rack, "HIGH" broil setting. Sprinkled with a dash of pink Himalayan salt. Not broiled too long, of course. Nutritious food is to be chewed, from my perspective.
  • vanityy99
    edited June 2019
    Options

ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Australia 🐨🇦🇺

Pasta sauce 🙂

I forget what I say. I think I say pasta sauce or maybe just sauce.

“ shoot we have no sauce”

I don’t remember. But yeah pasta sauce isn’t odd as hearing tomato sauce for ketchup. :smile:
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    There would probably be a riot in my house if I didn't use garlic butter on the outside of our grilled cheese sandwiches. However, we also put smoked chicken, salsa, bbq sauce, pesto, caramelized onions (not all together I might add) on the inside with our cheese too. We are currently in hiding from the grilled cheese sandwich police.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    There would probably be a riot in my house if I didn't use garlic butter on the outside of our grilled cheese sandwiches. However, we also put smoked chicken, salsa, bbq sauce, pesto, caramelized onions (not all together I might add) on the inside with our cheese too. We are currently in hiding from the grilled cheese sandwich police.

That sounds good, but as soon as the inside is more than mainly cheese and seasoning, I don't consider that a grilled cheese sandwich anymore.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

So, you seem to be drawing a distinction between homemade cookies, and these cookies. Let's dig into that a bit, shall we? (I have no pre-defined agenda here: I don't eat the Lofthouse cookies, think they're gross, but I'm very laissez faire when it comes to others' choices.)

This started with your initial post being woo-ed, and you asking why. So let's approach this in a fact-based manner, since that would be a science-ish thing to do.

According to the Food Lion (grocery store) web site, these cookies have the following ingredients:
    Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Salt, Contains 2% or less of: Mono- & Diglycerides, Calcium Disodium EDTA [Preservative], Artificial Flavor, Annatto [Color], Vitamin A Palmitate), Eggs, Contains 2% or less of: Water, Corn Starch, Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel Oil and/or Palm Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil [Cottonseed and/or Soybean Oil]), Dextrin, Skim Milk, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier),Confectioner's Glaze (Lac Resin), Food Starch-Modified, Colors (Carmine [Color], Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2, Blue 2 Lake, Red 3, Red 40, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake), Polysorbate 60, Carnauba Wax, Sodium Propionate (Preservative).

If I were making cookies at home, most of those ingredients would be in the cookies, especially true for the ingredients at the top (more predominant ones): Sugar, flour, some kind of oil or shortening (probably a simpler one like butter, or coconut oil, because yummier), eggs, milk, leavening. I wouldn't put in artificial flavors (natural vanilla extract is yummier IMO), probably not the artificial colors (I mostly don't want colors - but if I did it would be standard commercial food coloring, which would likely be this same stuff). I certainly wouldn't put in the preservatives (gonna eat 'em or freeze 'em), carnauba wax (?!), or the Confectioners Glaze (Lac Resin) (no idea what that even is).

So, bottom line: Similar ingredients, differences in the minor items. (This might justify a "woo", in some people's minds.)

Next up, nutrition: Specifically, do they have nutritional value, or are they "masquerading as food".
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Servings Per Container 10
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    Calories From Fat 50.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Total Carbohydrate 26.0g 9.0%
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

So, "food energy" (calories ;) ), tiny (negligible) amount of protein, a little fat, tiny vitamin A and iron. Not great. Probably not that far off home-made, but realistically, very low nutrition for the calories, mostly sugar and carbs. They might be a truly affirmative choice for an endurance athlete who enjoyed them and needed the calories. For anyone else who enjoys them, seems like a "sometimes food".

Conclusion: Nothing in particular. Just some facts. It's just that I don't mostly enjoy rant-y emotional stuff. Facts are good. ;)

Y'all are having some good fun, but I'm still hung up on what I bolded in that ingredients list. See, I use Carnauba wax ON MY PICKUP TRUCK :D

Following that logic, anything I can put into my body that passes out the other end without killing me or sickening me can be classified as food.

An abomination colored pretty pink. That's what these cookies are.

I'm going to go slug this down now. Maybe I'll have a new product to put on market shelves soon.

JgFa8Kl.jpg

:#

Seriously, that doesn't bother anyone?

Yeah it does. The cookies have that? @Phirrgus

They do @vanityy99 I did a bit of reading on the subject and from what I understand it's a very common additive in the food industry. And it's used for the exact same purpose as the car wax on vehicles. To make the food more appealing visually.

I understand visual appeal, but geez...ya know? There's just something wrong when "shiny/pretty" sells foods over nutritional value.

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2012/10/10/EFSA-reaffirms-carnauba-wax-safety-at-current-usage-levels#

This is the same as when Food Babe went after some additive that is used in commercial breads that is also used in yoga mats. The additive was a natural edible substance that was used in food long before anyone realized it would serve some purpose in yoga mats, but people can have this reaction that just because something is useful in a non-edible product, it somehow makes it now weird in an edible product. I'd bet people in the tropics were consuming carnauba leaves in some way long before anyone realized the stuff would make your car shiny :wink:

I think I actually remember that yoga mat debacle. Wasn't it some type of wood chip product? On the wax - I'm sure you're right kimny, but gag reflex lol. It's truly an irrational mental thing. I know it's there so bye bye candy corn :(

So the carnauba wax from palm leaves bothered you, but the insect-secreted shellac (Confectioner's Glaze/Lac Resin) didn't. Interesting.

K. ;)

You're very detail oriented. I know you saw the admission "It's truly an irrational mental thing".

But shellac, dude: Unlike carnauba, you wouldn't even put that on your truck.

(I'm just trying to foster more comprehensive irrational mental stuff. Y'know, like finding cookies "nutritionally void" but still recommending beer. ;) )
    We're talking humans here. A list that comprehensive may require more cyberspace than currently available :)